You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

LEGACY: Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials (70+)

• 2 months later...

I would love some tutorials on:

• How to spice up a simple screen shot or picture of my lead magnet. For example: skew it, add a shadow, maybe perspective reflection below it, angle it. Im constantly needing to do this for various Lead Magnets I use in my online marketing.

Hi, I am working through "For Beginners Too".

I am struggling when I select the top shape and the tear drop. When I make the compound shape, via Alt, there is a line across the join of my shapes, unlike how it appears in the video.

How do I get this to work properly?

My version is 1.6.1.

Thanks!

Mike

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 18.38.25.png

• Staff

Hi mjr104,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to an issue/bug with the Smart Nodes used to create the main shape. To work around this do the following:
- select the bigger shape
- change to the Node Tool and draw a marquee around all nodes to select them (you can also shift-clik on them individually to add/remove them to the selection)
- go to the context toolbar and click the Smooth icon (the second) in the Convert section to convert all selected nodes to Smooth Nodes

You should then be able to perform the boolean operation as described in the video.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As of 10/26/2018 it is still not possible to combine the 2 red object in a non-destructive way - I am using OSX 10.12.6 with A Designer 1.6.1. Since it is difficult to select the tear with the knot-tool, I have hidden all layer but those two. Also I have tested if the order of selection makes a difference or if it could work by converting the tear to curves … none was successful. So, as I have noted as comment on the tutorial sit I just duplicate both layers and hide them before combining the two shapes permanently

• 5 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, vitaprimo said:

Why is the Pixel Persona missing?

Missing from where? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...

Eraser icon, if you press-hold that button in the vertical  tool bar, will show you other erasers, the background eraser kind of works fine for a first pass (can be slow in processing, but the result is worth some patience, ie, don't mind the lag, but the results!). You might want to also use several combinations of healing brushes (and its  many variants), clone brush, even in some tiny things smudge tool. Depending on what was the course of your actions, the undo brush could come handy. Masks, handling of masks, mostly as you can paint those in quick mask mode, as well as do other operations to it, then go back to normal mode,  and advanced selections ( color range based, magic wand, lasso (polygonal, freehand and magnetic), etc) is key in most photo retouch matters, so, also ( even more: specially) in removing backgrounds. There is not a single way to erase a background: it depends on your need and workflows. Even also on your preferences for working.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am finding the tutorials very helpful and I’m looking at all from the beginning. I’m a user of a Freehand and illustrator so have old habits etc to break. Also, I live in the Nprthwest area of USA in Eastern Washington State and I am enjoying the accent and use of language of the instructor. Is this a British accent? Mine would be called west coast with some oddities such as adding an R into wash so it sounds like worsh.

Thanks for all the help!

I need help with a simple procedure please. I am following the instructions on the workbook on pg 110. I am able to create the glow and shadow but I do not understand how to eliminate the extra part of the white glow. I have tried all of the boolean tools but when I use the divide one, it deletes the red shape under the white glow. I have also tried doing this by moving the white glow in the layers panel, but I cannot replicate mine to the way in the screenshot here from yours. My white ellipse won't move. Can someone please give me instructions?

Also, Affinity Design staff, you know what would be amazingly helpful? Step by step videos or even written instructions to recreate the projects. While the book is great, it omits steps.

Thanks!!

Mike

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 4.40.18 PM.png

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm working my way through these tutorials and just finished the Artboard section. It says in the video if I select an artboard and press SHIFT, CTRL, 0 that it will display only that artboard, but i tried this on my "core skills" artboard document from the workbook resources and it doesn't work?

5 minutes ago, SprindigoJo said:

I'm working my way through these tutorials and just finished the Artboard section. It says in the video if I select an artboard and press SHIFT, CTRL, 0 that it will display only that artboard, but i tried this on my "core skills" artboard document from the workbook resources and it doesn't work?

Ctrl on a Mac is RMB+LMB (yuck!) on Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Ctrl on a Mac is RMB+LMB (yuck!) on Windows.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what this means? I am an Affinity windows user, so SHIFT CTRL 0 is correct, but it doesn't do what the artboard video says it should do

Just now, SprindigoJo said:

I am an Affinity windows user, so SHIFT CTRL 0 is correct

No, Shift+Ctrl+0 would be correct if you were a Mac user. Ctrl on Windows is (usually) Cmd on a Mac.

Since Mac users have an extra key that Windows users don’t have, we’re currently forced to make do with pressing the right mouse button (RMB) and the left mouse button (LMB) simultaneously.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

No, Shift+Ctrl+0 would be correct if you were a Mac user. Ctrl on Windows is (usually) Cmd on a Mac.

Since Mac users have an extra key that Windows users don’t have, we’re currently forced to make do with pressing the right mouse button (RMB) and the left mouse button (LMB) simultaneously.

What? Do you know what happens if I press SHIFT, LMB/RMB and 0 (or any variation of that) on my windows Affinity while selecting an artboard? Absolutely nothing. It doesn't work. They specifically say CTRL, not CMD in the video and every other video which has a CTRL combination works just fine without mouse button gymnastics, just not this one. I'm sorry, but that doesn't work.

1 minute ago, SprindigoJo said:

What? Do you know what happens if I press SHIFT, LMB/RMB and 0 (or any variation of that) on my windows Affinity while selecting an artboard? Absolutely nothing. It doesn't work. They specifically say CTRL, not CMD in the video and every other video which has a CTRL combination works just fine without mouse button gymnastics, just not this one. I'm sorry, but that doesn't work.

I’ll have to take your word for it! On my Windows laptop where I have the Affinity apps installed, the touchpad construction is such that it’s physically impossible to press the LMB and the RMB at the same time, so I don’t use any of the shortcuts which require this.

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, SprindigoJo said:

Ctrl + Alt + 0 is (on Windows) "zoom to selection" and it sounds like that might be what you're talking about.

However, depending on the size and location of the artboards it might not be "display only that artboard". Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

Note that for Ctrl + Alt + 0 to work you must have the Artboard selected, either by clicking its thumbnail in the Layers panel or by clicking its name above the Artboard. Probably you'd click on its name, because if you were going to click on its thumbnail you might as well simply double-click the thumbnail, which is also "zoom to selection".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, >|< said:

Zoom To Selection on a Mac is shift-cmd-0.

That should be shift-ctrl-0 on Windows, but I'm using a Mac and cannot check that.

Edit: I see Walt has pointed out that the shortcut is alt-ctrl-0 on Windows. Usually, shift is consistent in the Mac versus Windows apps, so that's a weird discrepancy in the case of Zoom To Selection.

The vast majority of video tutorials show the Mac versions of the apps, so I’m afraid I rashly assumed that this one would, too. :$

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Ctrl + Alt + 0 is (on Windows) "zoom to selection" and it sounds like that might be what you're talking about.

However, depending on the size and location of the artboards it might not be "display only that artboard". Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

Note that for Ctrl + Alt + 0 to work you must have the Artboard selected, either by clicking its thumbnail in the Layers panel or by clicking its name above the Artboard. Probably you'd click on its name, because if you were going to click on its thumbnail you might as well simply double-click the thumbnail, which is also "zoom to selection".

Hi Walt,

thanks for your help. I wonder why the tutorial doesn't list CTRL ALT 0 as the shortcut to zoom to fit, it only mentions SHIFT CMD 0. I thought it said SHIFT CTRL 0 in the video  but watched it again and it doesn't, but in my defence every other instance of the CMD key, such as CMD 0 to zoom to fit all artboards within the screen or ALT SHIFT CMD S to pop up the export menu works with the CTRL key instead. How strange this one particular combination doesn't work with swapping CMD for CTRL and the tutorial doesn't mention it. Yes, thanks - I just found out from the workbook i can simply double click the thumbnail of the artboard to zoom to fit, so I'll stick with that now!