You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jagged paintbrush edges with force pressure - on

RosomakPL

When trying to draw with forced pressure recognition, I get jagged brush edges. It looks terrible and makes it impossible to draw.

Tablet: Wacom Intuos (CTH-480) Windows 10
windows ink function enabled (without this Affinity 1.8 does not recognize pressure)

Of course the zoom level is 100%.

first line - "force pressure" - off - edges are ok

second line - - "force pressure" - on - edges looks jagged

Przechwytywanie2.JPG.03b0fb541591b3e8145650109aa47841.JPG

Przechwytywanie.JPG

edit:
And why when you turn on this option, the cursor gets twice as big and looks like an enlarged pixelart? After all, the brush is set to 8px and suddenly when you press "force pressure" it is senselessly enlarged. maybe this is where the effect comes from?

• Staff

I'm not seeing a great difference—other than the stroke with pressure is thicker so the rough edges may appear more obvious.

The cursor gets bigger because this should be indicating this is the max size a 'blob' or stroke would be with max pressure. 

Unfortunately, there's a big difference. Please pay attention to the quality of the anti-aliasing. I'm turning on the magnification. You can clearly see the little "stairs". It's not the correct behaviour of a graphics program.

first line edges are correct, second not

Przechwytywanie3.JPG.55c67a0f1ccfc6374fb2824f723af36e.JPG

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm not seeing a great difference—other than the stroke with pressure is thicker so the rough edges may appear more obvious.

The cursor gets bigger because this should be indicating this is the max size a 'blob' or stroke would be with max pressure. 

Okay, but why does the program consider that the maximum size at maximum pressure is greater than that set in the brush configuration?
The brush is 8px and that is the maximum size.

Let's do a little test:

- I choose an 8px brush from the "basic" palette.
- I click the mouse with the "force pressure" option turned off
- effect: I get an 8px dot.
- result: correct

- I'm turning on the "force pressure" option
- I click with my mouse (for this test to get the maximum pressure reading and to rule out tablet problems).
- effect: I get double scaled 8px dot.
- result: error. the cursor should not be an ordinary 8px cursor magnification.
Important!  The brush does not enlarge to 16px but 8px cursor is taken and is scaled x2 times up.

This is not correct behaviour

Przechwytywanie4.JPG.93ecd93f04c496816ae5b3fe4c170d0a.JPG

• Staff

RosomakPL,

It looks as though there might be an issue with Size Jitter when set to 0% which is what I'm willing to bet your brush has set.

If I enable Force Pressure, whatever my brush is set to (say 8px) and I set my Size Jitter to 100% Pressure, I would expect to be able to put down a 1px blob or a 16px blob as the variance is 100% either way, which would be correct. However, if it is set to 0% I am also seeing anything between a 1px blob and a 16px blob. If I set it to 1%, I don't see any size variance, no matter how soft or hard I press—this is correct because we can't see the difference in 1% variance.

Thanks for checking. Yes, I use a default 8px brush from "basic" palette. Indeed, the Size Jitter setting is 0%.

But that was not the subject of my report.

The problem is that there are "stairs" on the edges of the line when drawing with "Force pressure" option.

As I wrote, I suspect it's because of incorrect brush scaling after enabling this option. Please pay attention to my description and enlarged screenshot where I showed problem with cursor and its scaling. (those red dots :))

To enlarge it AP does not increase it as if the user did it with "Size" slider (here to 16px) but takes 8px cursor and scales it up. For this reason it has a different shape than it should and that's why a "stairs" effect is showing up while drawing. This is an huge disadvantage during digital drawing.

Important - This is not "Texture Brush".  If that was the case, such scaling would be the only possibility. But in this case it leads to such artifacts on the edges of the line.

I know it can be dealt with by setting the "Spacing" parameter to a sufficiently small one, but modifying the brushes every time you try to use them together with the "Force Pressure" option is unacceptable. Especially when you use several similar brushes.