You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.8 fails to load net runtime error

trevordl

So the problem was caused by fonts that were not is the standard Windows font directory.

My very personal opinion is that fonts should be in that directory anyway, unless you're using some kind of font manager with its own directory structure. So I'm glad I moved all fonts that were in my personal font directory to the standard Windows font directory.

1 hour ago, grunnvms said:

So the problem was caused by fonts that were not is the standard Windows font directory.

My very personal opinion is that fonts should be in that directory anyway, unless you're using some kind of font manager with its own directory structure. So I'm glad I moved all fonts that were in my personal font directory to the standard Windows font directory.

We're not entirely sure what's causing the crash. We managed to reproduce it by frantically adding and removing fonts during application startup, but we don't imagine that's how our customers have been operating. Either way, doing that highlighted a problem in the code which we thought would be causing all these customer problems, so it's good to read this feedback!

14 minutes ago, Ddraiggoch said:

I can confirm that getting rid of the fonts in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ and rebuilding the font cache does solve the problem.

Thank you for your quick response and resolution with the beta

It'd be good if we could get a copy of the local fonts before you delete them, then we can try to reproduce what our customers have been experiencing (even though we think we've fixed the problem).

32 minutes ago, Ddraiggoch said:

Yes I have sent through the list of fonts and the text file requested, i also made a copy of the folder before i delete them but at this moment it is the only way i can get publisher to open.

That's great - so Publisher will still crash with that folder of fonts? We may have another way to reproduce this bug - thanks.

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

It'd be good if we could get a copy of the local fonts before you delete them, then we can try to reproduce what our customers have been experiencing (even though we think we've fixed the problem).

You had that from me as well.

So after I send you all that information, I copied the font files from my personal directories to the standard windows font directory (install for all users), removed the registry entries for those personal fonts, and deleted them in the personal directories. I then rebuilt the font cache.

After this the standard 1.8 photo worked fine.

Hi there, 

I've encountered the same issue since I've updated AP to 1.8. This is a workaround I have not read any mention about: run the program using the gpu processor (NVIDIA in my case) and not the default processor (usually the integrated Intel). It starts without any crash. Unfortunately it's not the solution. 

Lenovo core I7 6700HQ
8Gb Ram
Nvidia GTX 950 4 gb Memory

SSD 256Gb

HD 1TB 5400 rpm

I followed grunnvms advice and was able to go from both Photo and Designer crashing on startup to both loading successfully - Thank You.

My problem with fonts was caused by having older versions of Adobe Reader and Adobe Elements. When I uninstalled the Adobe products the uninstall caused all kinds of fonts to be deleted, or not found.  Rebuilding the font cache was a good long term fix for my system. I did not have any of the local fonts that others have reported.

• Staff
I just wanted to let everyone know that we have released the new update, 1.8.2, that fixes the issue users were having where the app wouldn't get past the loading screen because of fonts. If you purchased the app from the Affinity Store you can download the update from:

If you purchased the app from the Microsoft Store the update will be available to download from the updates section.

21 minutes ago, Leigh said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that we have released the new update, 1.8.2, that fixes the issue users were having where the app wouldn't get past the loading screen because of fonts.

Thanks a lot. I installed the new version 1.8.2 and found it working. Great job!