You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.8 fails to load net runtime error

trevordl

44 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Even with the font shortcuts in place? i.e. they aren't affecting startup?

So, you ran Photo 4 times, and it crashed every time at startup (when the splash screen was up?) and on the 5th time it started OK?

That's correct, it took several attempts before it would run but closing it down after it worked,  it would crash again. 

Trevor

• Staff
13 hours ago, grunnvms said:

If possible, I would like to know if the problem could be reproduced with my fonts directory.

I haven't be able to replicate with your fonts - the developers are still investigating.

• Staff
2 hours ago, grunnvms said:

Would sending crashdump information help the developers?

I think they have all the info they need at the moment. I'm hoping to have an update soon but if we need any additional information from you, I will let you know. 

Im getting the same error codes on all three application as

Application: Designer.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Affinity.TextBaseTarget.GetFontStyles(Kernel.Font*, Story.FontResolution, std.vector<Kernel::Font,std::allocator<Kernel::Font> >*, UInt64*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem.BuildFontsList()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.CharacterDataSource..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.Studio.CharacterPage..ctor()

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.PageService.EnsurePage(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.AttachPages(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace, Boolean)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.set_CurrentWorkspace(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.WindowService.ShowMainWindow()
   at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass53_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__2()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Photo.exe
   at <Module>.Kernel.FontCache.GetFontTraitsName(Kernel.StringT<enum Kernel::TEncUtf8>*, Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFontStyle.get_DisplayName()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem+FamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFont)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem.BuildFontsList()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.CharacterDataSource..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)

at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.AttachPages(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace, Boolean)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.set_CurrentWorkspace(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace)
   at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass53_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__2()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Application: Publisher.exe
   at <Module>.Kernel.FontCache.GetFontTraitsName(Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFontStyle.get_DisplayName()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem+FamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFont)

at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass51_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__2()

I have to just keep trying to load and eventually they will load but this happened in 1.7 aswell

• Staff

Me again :)

@Ddraiggoch @trevordl @grunnvms @Venice27 @AnthonyN I may have already asked this question already but are any of you using a Font Manager? if so, which one? If you don't mind, could you also run Powershell or Command Prompt as an Admin and then run this command:

reg export “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts” C:\userFontLoc.txt

This will create a text file in the root of C:\ called userFontLoc.txt that will tell us which other locations you have fonts installed too. It's more than likely it will list fonts in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ but if you could check to see which location(s) are listed and then zip up a copy of these font folders along with the userFontLoc.txt and upload here, that would be very much appreciated.

Again, we're sorry that you're experiencing this issue but our developers are on the case 🚓

20 minutes ago, Leigh said:

Me again :)

@Ddraiggoch @trevordl @grunnvms @Venice27 @AnthonyN I may have already asked this question already but are any of you using a Font Manager? if so, which one? If you don't mind, could you also run Powershell or Command Prompt as an Admin and then run this command:

reg export “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts” C:\userFontLoc.txt

This will create a text file in the root of C:\ called userFontLoc.txt that will tell us which other locations you have fonts installed too. It's more than likely it will list fonts in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ but if you could check to see which location(s) are listed and then zip up a copy of these font folders along with the userFontLoc.txt and upload here, that would be very much appreciated.

Again, we're sorry that you're experiencing this issue but our developers are on the case 🚓

Although I was not mentioned in the above user list, I exported the registry keys and uploaded them into your dropbox plus some of the fonts
inside the directories I was able to find. There are also fonts listet which should reside in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. However, I was unable to access
them and include it, here.
Kind regards

I found it. When you select all fonts in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ directory, and then click on "install for all users" , they will be copied in the standard fonts directory.

Now I have to find a way to remove them from the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ directory, and perhaps clear those registry keys.

• Staff
53 minutes ago, joal said:

Although I was not mentioned in the above user list, I exported the registry keys and uploaded them into your dropbox plus some of the fonts
inside the directories I was able to find. There are also fonts listet which should reside in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps. However, I was unable to access
them and include it, here.
Kind regards

Thank you @joal Do you use a Font Manager?

1 hour ago, Leigh said:

Thank you again @grunnvms Do you use a font manager at all?

No, I don't.

So far I did the following:

• I selected all fonts in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ directory, and then right-clicked on "install for all users".
  • With the registry editor , I removed all font entries (except default of course) from “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts”.
  • Rebooted the PC.
  • Deleted all fonts in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fonts\ directory.

Now all the fonts are where they belong.

Next step was to rebuild the font cache.

• With services.msc , stop and disable the "Windows Font Cache Service" , and the "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0".  (right click - properties)
  • Reboot the PC
  • Make sure you can see Hidden Files and Folders in Explorer !
  • Go to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local
  • Delete all .dat files starting with Fontcache
  • Open the Fontcache directory
  • Delete everything in that directory, including the Fonts directory.
  • With services.msc , set the start property of the  "Windows Font Cache Service" to automatic and start the service.
  • With services.msc , set the start property of the "Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0" to manual.

There's only one mystery left.

In C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ there is a fontconfig directory, with a cache directory, and all kind of cache files. Haven't figured out what they are used for.

my userFontloc shows the following.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts]

I could load Affinity Designer, but not Photo, i tried clearing the fond cache as detailed above and immediately after i managed to load affinity photo once, but then the usse re-appeared and now i cannot load either app. really need this back as part of my workflow.

Good evening, 

I have just uploaded two files trevordl_additional_fonts (these were in the local users/windows/fonts) and also trevordl_extrafonts, these were fonts that were installed in a different location that wasn't shown in the registry key, but installed through FontExpert 2018.

I have just tried running 1.7.3 and that runs fine, but I have the beta 1.8.1.604 and that is working today.

Trevor

• Staff
5 minutes ago, AnthonyN said:

I assume there will be an equivalent for Designer too

That is good news, Yes, there is a Designer beta with this change already

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Thank you for your confirmation Trevor

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon