You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 1.8 fails to load net runtime error

trevordl

I have updated my software today, photo, designer and publisher to the 1.8 versions. Both designer and publisher almost always open, although sometime 1 in 4 times. 

Since updating Affinity Photo, it fails to load completely, the splash screen will load, the program will try to load and then crash. Looking at the event viewer crash log, the source is the .net framework as shown below.   I have uninstalled Photo and rebooted and reinstalled, and also removed the framework and reinstalled. 

I've just tried running them again, and opening all three programs, Publisher opened, Designer crashed then opened the 2nd time and Photo won't run at all.

If anybody could shed any light on the subject and offer a fix for this, I would be very grateful.

I've just done a search for the Kernel.fontcache and there was a mention earlier this year, but there was no follow up, and there may be a font issue. I am using FontExpert 2018 and I have a fair amount of fonts installed, it says 1059, could that be the issue, is my only plan to install all the fonts and reinstall each one to see which causes a crash, I will try that, it could take a while! Is there a limit on how many fonts a program can handle.

Trevor

Application: Photo.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
   at <Module>.Affinity.TextBaseTarget.GetFontStyles(Kernel.Font*, Story.FontResolution, std.vector<Kernel::Font,std::allocator<Kernel::Font> >*, UInt64*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem.BuildFontsList()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.CharacterDataSource..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.Studio.CharacterPage..ctor()

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Kernel.FontCache.GetFontTraitsName(Kernel.StringT<enum Kernel::TEncUtf8>*, Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFontStyle.get_DisplayName()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem+FamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFont)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem.BuildFontsList()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.CharacterDataSource..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.Services.IServiceProvider)

It's crashing while trying to load the Character panel. Try renaming the following

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\WindowProfile.xml

to 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\WindowProfile.xml.backup

And see if you can start.

It looks like it's a problem with a particular font that you have installed. It would be good to see if we can identify what font that is, so we can test with it.

Thank you so much for pointing me to the event log, I have the same problem:

Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at <Module>.Kernel.FontCache.GetFontTraitsName(Kernel.StringT<enum Kernel::TEncUtf8>*, Kernel.Font*)
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFontStyle.get_DisplayName()
   at Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.FontFamilyComboBoxContextBarItem+FamilyComboBoxContextBarItem..ctor(Serif.Interop.Persona.UserInterface.ManagedFont)

Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
   at System.RuntimeTypeHandle.CreateInstance(System.RuntimeType, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean ByRef, System.RuntimeMethodHandleInternal ByRef, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceSlow(Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, System.Threading.StackCrawlMark ByRef)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type, Boolean)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.PageService.EnsurePage(System.Type)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.AttachPages(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace, Boolean)
   at Serif.Affinity.UI.AffinityWindow.set_CurrentWorkspace(Serif.Interop.Persona.Workspaces.IWorkspace)
   at Serif.Affinity.Services.WindowService.ShowMainWindow()
   at Serif.Affinity.Application+<>c__DisplayClass53_0.<OnServicesInitialised>b__2()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action, System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.Threading.CancellationToken, System.TimeSpan)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(System.Action)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I had the same problem with 1.8 beta, and it was suggested that it could be my virus scanner.

Yesterday I installed 1.8 final, and it crashed again. I completely removed my virus scanner plus all Affinity products, and reinstalled 1.8. It crashed the way you described.

I deinstalled it, reinstalled 1.7.3, and now I have a working version of Photo again.

It would be wonderful if the developers can come up with a solution, since I need features of 1.8.

@LeighNo, I did not. I assume the file WindowProfile.xml  is needed by Photo, and since I did a fresh install, this file was also fresh. Renaming it to WindowProfile.xml.backup would have caused Photo to produce a new WindowProfile.xml file that should be exactly the same as the one I just renamed.

1. I tried that step, it did not work. I even restarted my computer to see if that would make a difference and the fix still did not work.
  2. Parenthetically, the file was not exactly located where you indicated. I found that here:
  3. AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.
  4.  Since affinity apparently loads all resident fonts, and I have hundreds of them, why don't we work backward and find out what change was made in 1.8 that was in any way connected to fonts and change that feature back to the way it was in 1.7

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Venice27 said:
  1. I tried that step, it did not work. I even restarted my computer to see if that would make a difference and the fix still did not work.
  2. Parenthetically, the file was not exactly located where you indicated. I found that here:
  3. AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.
  4.  Since affinity apparently loads all resident fonts, and I have hundreds of them, why don't we work backward and find out what change was made in 1.8 that was in any way connected to fonts and change that feature back to the way it was in 1.7

I agree - I'm waiting for the developers to get back to me about changes they possibly made in 1.8. When I get a response, I will reply back ASAP. I'm sorry that you're having this issue - I can only suggest that you go back to 1.7.3 if you need to use the app in the meantime. 

Interestingly, I haven't tried the file change yet, but I have just managed to open all three apps and they all run, although I don't know how long it will last, fingers crossed its just fixed itself. But  I will look at file change if it does it again.

A weird turnaround!? Thank you for posting a possible workaround.

Trevor

The crash above was when populating controls on the Character panel, so if we can reset the window profile to not show the Character panel (the default) then that will allow the app to startup - but chances are it will still crash when attempting to show that panel later. There was a change made to font loading in 1.8, but it's generally working well, so I'm not sure whether this is caused by a specific font on your system. Either way, we need to be able to reproduce the problem in order to fix it properly.

RE: 1.8 crashes - temporary fix

I won't bore you with the details as to how I arrived at this partial/temporary resolution of the issue.

By going to AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings  and changing the file called Fonts.xml to Fonts. xml.backup before running the program, I was able to open the program. All the functionality appears to be present except that using the Artistic Text Tool feature does not function properly. If I select a particular font, the program selects something completely different, although the listing of my fonts appears to be complete. I tried this multiple times with the same result.

The reason why I have called this a "temporary fix" is because it does not resolve the issue, not even partially, since restarting results in the same crash. The program automatically created a new Fonts.xml file which apparently is the file that is causing the failure of the program to open. Of course, before opening the program again and deleting the Fonts.xml file but leaving the previous Fonts.xml.backup file in place, you can again open the program.

Perhaps users with fewer fonts may have more success in using the Artistic Text Tool feature, but, in any event, the developers need to address the "crash" issue.

I have exactly the same problem as Trevor. I have tried reinstalling Photo, deleting all the files in AppData, making sure there is nothing in the registry and I it will still not start. The errors in the Log file are exactly the same as Trevor's.  Folders such as %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\  are empty, so I can't rename files as suggested above.

This is very frustrating, as I finally thought I would be able to open CR3 files in Photo. Please come up with a fix as soon as possible.

Yes, this is set. It does not seem to get far enough into loading to create the files. I have just tried again to uninstall and reinstall it. It crashes after accepting the terms and conditions. It creates the folders in AppData, but all those in Workspaces are empty.

Long story short, all the programs ran yesterday,  using the computer today, designer opens every time! Publisher runs fine. Photo crashed,  I have clicked to run the program and out of a dozen times, it has run a couple of times! I uninstalled photo and deleted all the files in the appdata/roaming directory. 

I've just written out the work and fails.  Work (4 fails) Work (7 fails) Work Work (2 fails) Work (6 fails) Work. Its almost worth leaving the program running in the background just to maintain it. I have tried renaming the fonts file as explained earlier in this thread and that didn't make any difference.

I don't understand why the other two affinity programs would work almost all of the time. Looking at the event viewer logs, all the errors give the .net Runtime as source.

Without removing all the fonts I have installed to locate the rogue files, is there anything else that could show why it is failing and at what point it falls over?

Trevor

I would like to add that I get the same error in the Windows Event Log as reported by trevordl. None of the temporary solutions worked for me at all. Uninstalling version 1.8.0 and re-installing 1.7.3 fortunately made Photo work again. More information on this issue is very appreciated.

• Staff
3 hours ago, joal said:

I would like to add that I get the same error in the Windows Event Log as reported by trevordl. None of the temporary solutions worked for me at all. Uninstalling version 1.8.0 and re-installing 1.7.3 fortunately made Photo work again. More information on this issue is very appreciated.

Unfortunately, this is the only workaround at the moment. Our developers are investigating - when I have more information, I will let you all know.

Hello there,

I'm uploading my fonts directory, I did however notice that some of the fonts I have installed are not in the windows/fonts directory but installed as a shortcut, using FontExpert, it installs the fonts but leaves them in their own directory rather than placing in the windows font directory, but they available to all programs that use fonts. It doesn't look like they will show up in the zip file.

Publisher loaded first time tonight, Designer took a couple of attempts and Photo ran on the fifth attempt.

Trevor

1 hour ago, trevordl said:

Hello there,

I'm uploading my fonts directory, I did however notice that some of the fonts I have installed are not in the windows/fonts directory but installed as a shortcut, using FontExpert, it installs the fonts but leaves them in their own directory rather than placing in the windows font directory, but they available to all programs that use fonts. It doesn't look like they will show up in the zip file.

Publisher loaded first time tonight, Designer took a couple of attempts and Photo ran on the fifth attempt.

Trevor

Even with the font shortcuts in place? i.e. they aren't affecting startup?

So, you ran Photo 4 times, and it crashed every time at startup (when the splash screen was up?) and on the 5th time it started OK?