You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot Export to Print-Ready PDF

MKC2

I have a problem with exporting my file to a print ready PDF format.

When I select the option, the 'Estimated File Size' gets stuck on 'Calculating...' and never resolves.

If I proceed with the export then it comes up with "an error occurred while exporting to..".

I have updated to version 1.8 and the error persists. Any ideas what could be causing it?

I'm also having the exact same problem. And it seems like it only happens with this particular file. I'm wondering if it's a problem the program has with larger files? I can export a 70ish page document without any issues, but I have an important document that is 135 pages long, and it gives me that same error message every single time.

• Staff
18 hours ago, MKC2 said:

Just uploaded it thanks!

Thanks for that - It is being caused by the embedded PDF Orange logo on the 'Front' artboard. It is using a LAB D50 colour format which is not supported by the PDF Export you are trying to export to. Instead of converting it, it is causing the export to fail. If you select this object and go to Layer > Rasterise you will be able to export correctly. I'll get this passed on to development to see if checks can be put it place and get it converted if unsupported.

8 hours ago, RebeccasPianoKeys said:

I'm also having the exact same problem. And it seems like it only happens with this particular file. I'm wondering if it's a problem the program has with larger files? I can export a 70ish page document without any issues, but I have an important document that is 135 pages long, and it gives me that same error message every single time.

Would you be able to attach the document to the Dropbox link above please?

• Staff

Hi RebeccasPianoKey,
Thanks for the file, however it doesn't contain any of your images and is exporting for me. I'm assuming it will be caused by one of the linked images you've used. As you're using Publisher if you go to Document > Resource Manager and click 'Collect' it will allow you to specify a folder (probably best creating a new folder) to copy all of the used images into. If you do that, and then go to File > Save As and save a copy of your document to that folder, you can then zip that folder up and upload it to the same link above. Hopefully that will allow me to reproduce the issue you're having.

• Staff
15 minutes ago, RichLoyalty said:

Hmmm, I posted about how I was also having problems exporting to PDF (missing images and text) and instead of anyone responding my post got deleted. Great support forum, guys

Your post didn't get deleted, I separated it into it's own topic because it is a different issue to the one the original user reported. When reporting issues please try to create your own thread unless the results you're getting are almost identical to the original thread.

It can be found here:

On 3/2/2020 at 3:19 AM, Sean P said:

Hi RebeccasPianoKey,
Thanks for the file, however it doesn't contain any of your images and is exporting for me. I'm assuming it will be caused by one of the linked images you've used. As you're using Publisher if you go to Document > Resource Manager and click 'Collect' it will allow you to specify a folder (probably best creating a new folder) to copy all of the used images into. If you do that, and then go to File > Save As and save a copy of your document to that folder, you can then zip that folder up and upload it to the same link above. Hopefully that will allow me to reproduce the issue you're having.

Hi Sean, I've just uploaded it, following your instructions. 

• Staff

Thanks for the files, however I'm still unable to reproduce the issue you're getting - the file is exporting correctly for me! Would you be able to follow these steps to enable PDF export logging and attach the supplied log please?

1. Close Affinity
  2. Start Terminal
  3. Type the following (ensuring you change 'yourusername' for the name of your user folder)
launchctl setenv PDFLIBLOGGING "filename=/Users/yourusername/Documents/PDFLib.log"
  1. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message
  2. Go to /Users/yourusername/Documents and attach the newly created PDFLib.log (Ensuring you change yourusername as above)
  3. Start Terminal again
  4. Type the following to stop the logging and to return your settings back to normal
launchctl unsetenv PDFLIBLOGGING

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the files, however I'm still unable to reproduce the issue you're getting - the file is exporting correctly for me! Would you be able to follow these steps to enable PDF export logging and attach the supplied log please?

1. Close Affinity
  2. Start Terminal
  3. Type the following (ensuring you change 'yourusername' for the name of your user folder)

launchctl setenv PDFLIBLOGGING "filename=/Users/yourusername/Documents/PDFLib.log"
  1. Run Affinity and export to PDF and then click OK to accept the error message
  2. Go to /Users/yourusername/Documents and attach the newly created PDFLib.log (Ensuring you change yourusername as above)
  3. Start Terminal again
  4. Type the following to stop the logging and to return your settings back to normal

launchctl unsetenv PDFLIBLOGGING

I don't know what Terminal is. Can you explain to me how to access that? Also, I'm on PC, not Mac, so maybe it's something different in Windows? (I didn't realize until just now that this was a MacOS bugs thread, sorry!)

Also, just to be clear, I can export to PDF just fine if I select "All spreads" I only get the error when I select "All Pages." And I need to be able to export is as individual pages, not paired facing pages (spreads).

I have been having problems exporting to PDF with some of my publications and by a process of elimination have isolated a graphic that causes an error when included in the file and does not when deleted. I have a attached the file so others can see if they have the same experience. It is a publication file created from a leaflet template I have been using. I have added some text to explain my experience and included the graphic which was copied and pasted from another publication of mine. When I delete the graphic the export works and when it is present the export fails. I have conducted this exercise several times with the same results.

I am using Windows 10 Affinity Publisher 1.8.

TEST 1.afpub

Edited by Baldor
Sorry, forgot to say what software I was using.

• Staff
On 3/6/2020 at 4:59 PM, RebeccasPianoKeys said:

I don't know what Terminal is. Can you explain to me how to access that? Also, I'm on PC, not Mac, so maybe it's something different in Windows? (I didn't realize until just now that this was a MacOS bugs thread, sorry!)

Also, just to be clear, I can export to PDF just fine if I select "All spreads" I only get the error when I select "All Pages." And I need to be able to export is as individual pages, not paired facing pages (spreads).

Ahhh you're using Windows - that helps a lot, as does the 'All Pages' issue. Turns out it is being caused by a hyperlink that goes missing when using 'All Pages' - this is a known issue that has now been fixed in the latest Publisher Beta available using the link below.

On 3/6/2020 at 5:48 PM, Baldor said:

I have been having problems exporting to PDF with some of my publications and by a process of elimination have isolated a graphic that causes an error when included in the file and does not when deleted. I have a attached the file so others can see if they have the same experience. It is a publication file created from a leaflet template I have been using. I have added some text to explain my experience and included the graphic which was copied and pasted from another publication of mine. When I delete the graphic the export works and when it is present the export fails. I have conducted this exercise several times with the same results.

TEST 1.afpub

Hi Baldor,
The object inside your document has a minus value for the Stroke Width which absolutely should not be possible - this is why it is failing when exporting. If you replace this with a non negative value your object will export.

Do you have ANY idea how you made this object or got it into this state? As I mentioned this should not be possible!

Thanks

On 3/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, Sean P said:

Ahhh you're using Windows - that helps a lot, as does the 'All Pages' issue. Turns out it is being caused by a hyperlink that goes missing when using 'All Pages' - this is a known issue that has now been fixed in the latest Publisher Beta available using the link below.

That solved it! Thanks so much for your help, Sean! Sorry I didn't think to give more specific details from the beginning! 

• Staff
On 3/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, Sean P said:

Do you have ANY idea how you made this object or got it into this state? As I mentioned this should not be possible!

Thanks

Hi Sean (and interested parties!)

I'm guessing that it is simply because the object had a line weight, had 'scale with object' set on the stroke, then was transformed to flip it in at least one axis - the resulting line now thinks it has an inverted line weight? I've fixed the code to actually work correctly! :)

Many thanks everyone,

Matt

On 3/6/2020 at 5:48 PM, Baldor said:

TEST 1.afpub

Hi Baldor,
The object inside your document has a minus value for the Stroke Width which absolutely should not be possible - this is why it is failing when exporting. If you replace this with a non negative value your object will export.

Thanks

Hi Sean,

As I remember the bad graphic came about when I was copying and pasting sections of an earlier version of the family history book I have been compiling. The object was originally created from the shapes that are available in the Tools panel. I used them to put alongside text to point to a photo or image that the text related to. Rather than create four graphics (ie up, down, right and left) I created just one but used the rotate function as required. So I had stuff coming from a publication created in Affinity version 1.7 being copied and pasted in to the 1.8 version. That's about as much as I can remember about how it came about. As Matt says setting the line width to a positive value clears the problem. Great to hear the code has been changed to stop it happening. Just glad to get to the bottom of that little problem. Still great software, just love using it.

Baldor Conehead

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (PDF Press Ready export fails if it contains an embedded LAB PDF) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon