You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afpub file not loading in Affinity Publisher

While Affiinity Publisher was loading one of my .afpub files, I had a system crash, and had to restart. Since then, all my other .afpub files are opening save this one file, and I need to work on it. I am using macOS 10.15.3 and the three 1.8.1 Affinity Apps (but the problem occurred before the update, while still in version 1.7.x). This is a 5.08 Gb file, and it usually only takes a few minutes to load on my iMac 2012. I let Affinity Publisher all night to load it, and it still didn't open. I also tried to load the very first version of the file, which was saved in a Time Machine disk, and it didn't load either. I am now trying to load this file in Affinity Designer, just in case (and I'll try opening it in Affinity Photo afterwards), but it has been loading for half an hour and it's still lagging. The file doesn't seem to be corrupted, since even its oldest versions can't open either. Is there something to do to the file, or some kind of debugger to download for this kind of problem? 

• Staff

Hi Glyphs,

Sadly there isn't a debugger to download.

Really we could do with getting a copy of the file from you, which at 5GB could take some time to upload and might not even be possible, depending on your internet connection.  But if you wouldn't mind trying to upload it to our Dropbox here, i can get the file looked at this end :) 

Thank you for your reply. After many hours trying to understand what went wrong, I believe I isolated the problem to just one file in the placed files of my Affinity Publisher document. It's a 302.9Mb Affinity Designer file which displays exactly the same Document Loading dialog as the Affinity Publisher file in its title bar when opened in either of the three Affinity apps. I have been waiting for it to load for 15 minutes, so I am sending you this file in hope you can save it or tell me how to repair it. It's a converted Photoshop file from the days I was working in Photoshop, and I never had any problem with it until a few days ago. I tried to open a version as old as 2019/08/25 and it just doesn't open. If you can at least tell me what went wrong, it would help me to find more files like this one.

While checking all these files, I also stumbled upon a new problem. It's not much, but a tweak could help me to not force quit the Affinity Apps in the middle of a job: Each time I am opening an Affinity file in either apps, there is a progress bar right under its title. If I edit the file, then try to save it before this progress bar is fully loaded, Affinity Designer freezes with the color wheel cursor. So I had to force quit Affinity Designer a few times. Sometime, the progress bar even begins after I start editing the file, and I never seem to notice it in time. It would be simpler to just not allow us to save anything while the progress bar is loading or waiting to load (with a message explaining us what it actually does. I suppose it's linked to the file format being updated, but I can't be sure).

I too am having problems loading many existing 1.7.x.x files with the latest version (1.8.0.584) on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10. A smaller, single page document, however, was loaded earlier without a problem. Could it be the recent Windows update that was recently installed? Quite happy to upload the .afpub file to Dropbox link if you wish.

Bonjour à tous

C'est vrai avec la nouvelle mise à jour version 1.8, je n'ai pas pu recharger mes derniers fichiers de la version précédente, et curieusement pas tous les fichiers. Ya-t-il un problème entre une sauvegarde  afpub et nom_a_fpub. Merci pour votre aide

Frédo

I have tried again to open the .afpub file by replacing the image file I sent you by another image file, but it doesn't seem to work, so the .afpub file might have a problem too. Can I send the .afpub file to the same dropbox address?

• 2 weeks later...