You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Picture Frame: Wrong Stroke Joins

Affinity Publisher for Windows 1.8.0.584, Windows 10

I'm opening a document created with the pre 1.7beta (the document was modified and saved with 1.7) some stroke join of an Picture Frame Rectange are wrong - they have been sharp, now some are sharp and some like bevel (see attached screen shot wrong-stroke.png - the lower left corner is correct, all other corners are wrong)

I've copied a picture frame to an new document (see attched document corner.afpub) - I'v resized the picture fram,e removed the image, ...) - the last step was to duplicate the frame and change the stroke with - as you can see the corners are not the same - the corner styles change while you drag the stroke width slider.

Any idea how to fix this? in my orginal document there about 250 picture frames which need to be corrected...

Thanks, Christian

wrong-stroke.png

corner.afpub

Change mitre in the Stroke panel at least to 2. To save you some work, you can add the correct frame to the Styles panel and apply the style to the existing frames.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 weeks later...

research showed that the mitre value works (in Affinity 1.8) as a threshold - if the mitre value would be exceeded, a bevel join is used. The original problem is, that the mitre value was 1.414 - which is approximately the square root of 2 - so depending on numeric rounding the corner is drawn as bevel join or mitre join.

How to reproduce:

• create a triangle using the triangle tool
  • select the triangle using the move tool
  • increase the stroke with to e.g. 20 pt (the effect is easier to observe if the stroke with is higher)
  • set join to mitre join, set mitre value to 2,0
  • now transform the width of the triangle until a corner is shown in bevel join style

Issue is not fixed in Affinity Publisher 1.8.2.619 Beta

Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 works as expected

@Gabe For simplicity I've reproduced this issue using Affinity Designer: Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481works as expected - Affinity Designer 1.8.0.585 crops the line joins. I've attached both .afdesign files and screenshots.

Steps to reproduce:

• create a new document, 30 by 12 cm
  • set grid to 1cm square with millimetre sub square
  • enable snapping to grid
  • using the pen tool draw a line with multiple sharp line joins
  • set line with to 10pt, set join to mitre join and set mitre value to 3

The expected behaviour is that the edge is cut at the mitre limit in all cases - so in my example I would expect that the join is cut about 5,3mm (10pt * 3 / 2) from the joining point of the two segments of the line - which is the case in Affinity 1.7 - but in Affinity 1.8 the join is cut at the joining point.

mitre-screenshot-1.7.png

mitre-screenshot-1.8.png

mitre-1.7.afdesign mitre-1.8.afdesign

Dave Harris schrieb u. a. am 23. Mai 2015:

Der Gehrungswert, den Sie benötigen, um zu verhindern, dass eine scharfe Ecke abgeschnitten wird, hängt vom Winkel der Ecke ab. Bei einem rechten Winkel ergibt der Standardwert von 1,414 eine scharfe Ecke. Bei einem spitzeren Winkel, beispielsweise von den Punkten eines Sterns oder Dreiecks, wird ein größerer Wert benötigt […]

Mitre.png.3fee00c149528eb514df8578ce0d1fcc.png

Siehe hierzu auch Dave Harris.

Grüße, Gitta

2 hours ago, Gitta said:

Dave Harris schrieb u. a. am 23. Mai 2015:

Der Gehrungswert, den Sie benötigen, um zu verhindern, dass eine scharfe Ecke abgeschnitten wird, hängt vom Winkel der Ecke ab. Bei einem rechten Winkel ergibt der Standardwert von 1,414 eine scharfe Ecke. Bei einem spitzeren Winkel, beispielsweise von den Punkten eines Sterns oder Dreiecks, wird ein größerer Wert benötigt […]

Ja, prinzipiell richtig - wenn ich einen kleinen Gehrungswert  eingebe, soll abgeschnitten werden (dazu hat man ja den Wert) - das Problem ist, wo abgeschnitten wird - und da verhalten sich Affinity 1.7 und 1.8 unterschiedlich und ich bin der Meinung, dass es Affinity 1.7 richtig macht.

lg. Christian