You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you install the NIK Collection 2.5 plugins?

• Staff

During the setup it checks for any installed supported software, at this point you have an option to create a new folder for the plugins to be installed into. Create a folder and select before continuing with the setup. Once this has completed, open Affinity Photo > Preferences > Plugins, make sure you Authorise Global (macOS only) Add the folder that you created and enable Allow Unknown plugins. Now restart the app and the plugins should be detected.

See these video tutorials for some more information.

I'm having problems as well. I downloaded the latest Nik DMG this morning which produces apps not plugins as before. I've contacted DXO but there's no way I presume that Affinity is going to recognise apps as plugins! In addition, when installing Nik you can add an application for it to recognise. Affinity Photo is greyed out.

If anyone has any idea what I'm doing wrong please reply!

Thanks - Nick

Edited by Nick Ingamells
spelling

DxO now has published instructions how to install Nik plugins for AP1.8. In essence, you have to create yourself a folder where the installer then will place the plugin versions of the Nik Collection. I tried and it works (MacOS Catalina). Here is the link: https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040284711-How-to-launch-Nik-Collection-2-5-by-DxO-plugins-from-Affinity-1-8-#

Have fun.

Jochen

• Staff

@jason51

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

What a great first contribution, thank you.

@Chris B you may find this useful too

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, Nick Ingamells said:

Thanks for the info - all good until '3 Import Plugins'. The 'Authorise Global' button is greyed out - see screenshot. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Nick

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 21.51.18.png

I have exactly this problem also.  Do I have to be an admin user to enable the plug-ins?

13 hours ago, Nick Ingamells said:

Thanks for the info - all good until '3 Import Plugins'. The 'Authorise Global' button is greyed out - see screenshot. Any ideas anyone?

In the “Compatible Host” part of step 1, did you create a custom plugins folder? If you did, in what directory did you put it? Can you see that folder in Finder? If so, is there anything in it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I attempted to install per the DXO instructions.  No such step as "compatible host" was available.  I used the default location, then several others.  The "Authorize Global" option available.   And, at no time, do any of the DXO plug-ins show up.   Upgraded to 1.8.1 - no difference.  Running Mojave 10.14.6  It appears, at least for me, it's not possible to use the DXO NIK plug-ins with Photos.  BTW, they work fine with Photoshop.

1 hour ago, rezphotos said:

I attempted to install per the DXO instructions.  No such step as "compatible host" was available. 

When you run the 2.5 installer, at any point in the process is there a "+" icon visible?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, rezphotos said:

And, now it works altho the dialog in Photos is still confusing.

What I find somewhat confusing about that is that the Status of some plugins is marked as "Unknown" but work fine, just like the ones marked "Working."

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Nick Ingamells said:

Is this the sort of install others have done?

From your screenshot, it looks like you have installed the old Google (or DxO?) version 2 plugins, not the 2.5 versions. I have the old Google ones & aside from the top two folder names, your & my folder structures look the same. (Where you have "Affinity Plugins" I named that root level Applications folder "Nik Collection," & because my plugins came from Google, where your enclosed folder is named "DxO" mine is named "Google.")

So where in AP preferences you have "/Applications/Affinity Plugins/DxO" in the Plugins Search Folders, I have "/Applications/Nik Collection." I have no idea if it would make any difference, but you might try pointing your Plugins Search Folders to just "/Applications/Affinity Plugins" without the "/DxO" part & restarting.

Affinity Photo 

10 minutes ago, R C-R said:

From your screenshot, it looks like you have installed the old Google (or DxO?) version 2 plugins, not the 2.5 versions. I have the old Google ones & aside from the top two folder names, your & my folder structures look the same. (Where you have "Affinity Plugins" I named that root level Applications folder "Nik Collection," & because my plugins came from Google, where your enclosed folder is named "DxO" mine is named "Google.")

So where in AP preferences you have "/Applications/Affinity Plugins/DxO" in the Plugins Search Folders, I have "/Applications/Nik Collection." I have no idea if it would make any difference, but you might try pointing your Plugins Search Folders to just "/Applications/Affinity Plugins" without the "/DxO" part & restarting.

hi - I've only just downloaded the dmg from the DxO site and this is the screen on install so I assumed I'm on 2.5?

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 11.06.25.png

36 minutes ago, Nick Ingamells said:

hi - I've only just downloaded the dmg from the DxO site and this is the screen on install so I assumed I'm on 2.5?

Have you run that installer yet?

Like I said, it looks like you only have the older 2.0 Nik Collection actually installed on your Mac.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hi Nick Ingamells,
Seems you have installed the plugins correctly but something in your Photoshop Plugins config panel in Affinity is off. Please do the following:
- remove all the paths from both the Plugin Search Folders section and Plugins Support Folders section including those empty lines at the top on each input field (place the cursor there and hit/press the Remove button)
- in the Plugin Search Folders section, click Add and browse/navigate to Applications/Affinity Plugins/DxO (in your case)
- in the Plugin Support Folders, click the Authorise Global button (should be available after you remove all the previous paths you have there - including the empty line/path on top), then click Authorise again in the Finder dialog that will appear
- make sure "Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used" is ticked
- close the Photoshop Plugins/Preferences panel and restart Affinity
Let me know if they work after these changes.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

- remove all the paths from both the Plugin Search Folders section and Plugins Support Folders section including those empty lines at the top ...

Doh! I probably examined that screenshot half a dozen times but never noticed the empty entries. Well spotted!

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Nick Ingamells,
Seems you have installed the plugins correctly but something in your Photoshop Plugins config panel in Affinity is off. Please do the following:
- remove all the paths from both the Plugin Search Folders section and Plugins Support Folders section including those empty lines at the top on each input field (place the cursor there and hit/press the Remove button)
- in the Plugin Search Folders section, click Add and browse/navigate to Applications/Affinity Plugins/DxO (in your case)
- in the Plugin Support Folders, click the Authorise Global button (should be available after you remove all the previous paths you have there - including the empty line/path on top), then click Authorise again in the Finder dialog that will appear
- make sure "Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used" is ticked
- close the Photoshop Plugins/Preferences panel and restart Affinity
Let me know if they work after these changes.

That worked! Thanks so much. Nick

On 2/28/2020 at 1:28 AM, Lee D said:

During the setup it checks for any installed supported software, at this point you have an option to create a new folder for the plugins to be installed into. Create a folder and select before continuing with the setup. Once this has completed, open Affinity Photo > Preferences > Plugins, make sure you Authorise Global (macOS only) Add the folder that you created and enable Allow Unknown plugins. Now restart the app and the plugins should be detected.

See these video tutorials for some more information.

Thanks for that Lee, the video process worked  Cheers,   Muzza 48

Hi,

I've successfully installed the Nik Plugins for use with Affinity Photo 1.8.1 on my iMac, but, having followed exactly the same procedure several times, I can't get them to work on my MacBook pro. I can see all the plugins using Filters-Plugins-Nik on the laptop but all but one (HDR Efex Pro 2) are greyed out. For some reason HDR Efex Pro is enabled.

I've tried deleting all the paths in Plugin Search Folders and Plugins Support Folders, can confirm there are no blank lines. Closed Affinity. Restarted the computer. Added Applications/Affinity Plugins/DxO and authorised global. I can see all the Nik plugins under Detected Plugins - but they remain stubbornly greyed out when I go to use them.

And I can't figure out why HDR Efex Pro is treated differently as it is simply a plugin within the DxO folder just like all the others. It remains like this every time I reinstall etc.

I've re-downloaded reinstalled the Nik plugins. Restarted the laptop multiple times. I'm definitely using AP 1.8.1 and Nik 2.5.0. It all works as it should on the iMac and have done exactly the same on the MacBook Pro. So I am lost to explain why it would work on one machine and not the other. 

Does anyone have any ideas?