You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to select Highlights ?

I know you can do that in photoshop :

CMD + Click on the master "RGB" channel will select highlights. Click again will select more hightlights. is that possible with affinity ?

When I go on the channels there is no master RGB channel so I don 't know how to replicate. an idea ? I want the software to detect and select the zone withe most light.

• Staff

Hi Anstellos, have you tried either:

• Select the pixel layer from the Layers tab (eg Background), then go to Select - Tonal Range - Select Highlights. This will create a selection of just the highlights.
  • Shift+CMD click the pixel layer to select areas of luminance. This will usually select more of the image than Select Highlights.

You can then add adjustments/filters/masks to manipulate these highlight areas, e.g. I like to add a gaussian blur with an Overlay blend mode which creates a really nice diffuse light effect.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Shift+CMD Click was exactly what I was looking for.

is their a shortcut to do :

"

• Select the pixel layer from the Layers tab (eg Background), then go to Select - Tonal Range - Select Highlights. This will create a selection of just the highlights." 

?

I like to very fast change option :)

• 3 years later...