You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8 Crashes When Adding pages

Tirjasdyn

I have a 291 page file. I tried to add a page by right clicking on the preceeding page, and choosing add pages. the page adds fine, and I can see it on the screen. However the program states it's not responding, the page does not show up in the scroll on the left. CPU usage goes to 100%. I am on Windows 10, i7 and 16gb of ram. I have no other software open. I tried it with another file, this one only had 98 pages. The same thing is happening.

Ayant un grand besoin de cette fonction, j'ai cherché une solution ...

J'ai créé un nouveau document avec deux pages blanches, que j'ai sauvegardé (deuxpages.afpub)

Puis je fais Document/Ajouter des pages depuis un fichier et là plus de problème.

En attendant que le bug soit corrigé c'est une solution.

I have experienced persistent application locking when deleting Master Pages in Ver. 1.8. The only remedy seems to be to Task out of the application. I have reverted to Ver. 1.7.X.X. in order to avoid problems but realized that version 1.8 is NOT backwards compatible with 1.7.X.X. This includes publication files any custom color pallettes so BE AWARE before upgrading.

It would be good to make compatibility issues a front-and-center notice. Love the apps...and looking forward to upgrading to 1.8 when a few of these bugs are ironed out.

Something similar has happened to me as well with version 1.8. However, if you wait long enough, the pages do show up and the program resumes working. Same thing happens for deleting pages. I deleted one page and it took a minute and a half approximately to delete. My project is big since I'm putting together a novel of over 350 pages. However, it's only the interior so over 95% text. I deleted the chapter graphic I had which was giving me all kinds of problems and making the program insert weird artifacts when I copied and pasted text from Scrivener. 

My setup is Intel i7 6700, 32 GB of RAM, and an old GeForce GTX 660. However, I do nothing but novel interiors (or plan on it) with the program so I don't know why it would creep like molasses like that when adding or deleting pages.  

I'm having the same problem. I updated to 1.8.0 and now I can't work on my massive 400 page document.

How do I download previous versions as I need to revert to 1.7.3 to get this job finished? 

There is only 1.8 in the download area of my account.

Please help!

On 3/12/2020 at 5:06 AM, RSL Designs said:

I'm having the same problem. I updated to 1.8.0 and now I can't work on my massive 400 page document.

How do I download previous versions as I need to revert to 1.7.3 to get this job finished? 

There is only 1.8 in the download area of my account.

Please help!

I'm assuming you're making a novel. I just finished mine which was 362 pages. What I did to remedy my problem after SEVERAL tries was to follow this order of things:

1. Create a New Document with dimensions and number of pages. If you are not sure about the number of pages, estimate. More is better. You'll be able to delete pages later.

2. Set up the Master Pages without any graphics. Just the text frames, page numbers, etc. I set up four spreads. You could set up more but this is what I found helped.

• One with chapter start on left. 
  • One with chapter start on right. 
  • One with only Body text.
  • One as a book beginner with a blank page on the left. 

3. Format your Body and Chapter Headings text (font, spacing, alignment, leading, etc.).

4. Save the setup as a template.

5. Cut and paste your text from the main file. I would do this as either Plain or Rich Text. Do this for the whole book. Save after each chapter.

6. Fine tune the document with tracking, optimal alignment, etc.

6. Complete Chapter headings with graphics on the Master Pages.

7. Complete front and back matter with graphics.

When I did it like this, it prevented weird graphic artifacts which it had done previously, it always saved correctly, and adding or deleting pages was done within seconds, not minutes.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That 99 page file has grown to 200. I have tried Save As, thinking that might get rid of something in the file itself. Nope.

Add a page to the end of the file. Yes. Move it to the beginning. Yes. Add to the beginning = instant vanish. Cut from the beginning then paste to the end = frozen, must use Task Manager.

Move a page from the beginning = instant vanish.

I'm stuck.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone!

Has this issue been resolved? I am having similar issues now on Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035.
Instant crash to desktop when I try to delete, add, duplicate or move pages anywhere in the document.

I am running Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 on Windows 10. The bug is reliably reproduceable on two seperate computers. I mistakenly posted this before in a MacOS thread about the same issue.

Is it recommendable to try the latest Beta version as someone suggested?

Hello again,
for anyone struggling with this problem, here's the cause in my case and the solution that worked for me.

Cause:
When starting the project I used a template file originally intended for InDesign. It had facing pages (spreads) with a single page in the beginning and one at the end.
The single page at the end seemed to cause the problem in my case.

Solution:
I was able to select and delete the last (single) page without a crash. Since then I can easily move, duplicate, insert and delete pages without any problems.

I hope this helpes. Cheers!

24 minutes ago, Lars Lizard said:

Cause:
When starting the project I used a template file originally intended for InDesign. It had facing pages (spreads) with a single page in the beginning and one at the end.
The single page at the end seemed to cause the problem in my case.

Solution:
I was able to select and delete the last (single) page without a crash. Since then I can easily move, duplicate, insert and delete pages without any problems.

@Lars Lizard, I just tried to reproduce a crash with a new ID.idml file which containes 8 blank pages with first/last as single pages. To me (in macOS) this doesn't cause a crash. Could you try the attached document to verify whether it crashes APub? Or do you know additional conditions which did caused the crash in particular in your document, respectively by its last page, e.g. because of specific content on this page (e.g. master page objects or text flow frames)?

indd_8-blank-pgs.idml

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:07 AM, thomaso said:

@Lars Lizard, I just tried to reproduce a crash with a new ID.idml file which containes 8 blank pages with first/last as single pages. To me (in macOS) this doesn't cause a crash. Could you try the attached document to verify whether it crashes APub? Or do you know additional conditions which did caused the crash in particular in your document, respectively by its last page, e.g. because of specific content on this page (e.g. master page objects or text flow frames)?

indd_8-blank-pgs.idml 33.35 kB · 0 downloads

Hi thomaso,

since I resolved this problem by deleting and later recreating the last page I didn't take the time to look into the problem more. But today I uploaded a broken file to a staff member. I was not able to find anything special about that last page that seemed to cause the problem. The page was empty.

I created a version of the document without images. It still crashes when I try to delete pages. I've attached the packaged date.

Cheers, Lars

Lars_Package_20210619_none.zip

Bonjour à tous.
pas de problème pour ouvrir les fichiers dispos.
L'ouverture à été moins rapide, la première fois en utilisant la bêta, avec le fichier ee-1-4, mais, le fichier ouvert c'est plus fluide que sur la version détail.
Les autres fichiers ne posent pas non plus de problème. J'ai pu ajouter/supprimer des pages, importer du texte que j'ai copié/collé depuis le fichier ee-1-4.
Tout est joint.

J'utilise un portable avec un Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 16 Go de ram et un SSD 860evo de 500 Go. Une HD4000 et une nvidia GT650M comme carte graphique et j'utilise l'écran de mon portable.
J'ai testé ce fichier avec la version 1.9.2.1035 et la version 1.10.0.1085.

Hello to all.
No problem to open the available files.
The opening was slower, the first time using the beta, with the file ee-1-4, but, the opened file is more fluid than on the retail version.
The other files are not a problem either. I was able to add/delete pages, import text that I copied/pasted from the ee-1-4 file.
Everything is attached.

indd_8-blank-pgs_beta.afpub indd_8-blank-pgs.idml ee-1-4_modif_beta.afpub

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

31 minutes ago, Lars Lizard said:

It still crashes when I try to delete pages. I've attached the packaged date.

• Did the initial .idml / .indd document contain a master page named "Master Page"?
• And did the last page in ID have any master page assigned?
• Can you upload the according .idml document? It might be useful for Serif developers to investigate the master page procedere.

Your .afpub has on its last page (pg 60) a Master Page assigned (name: "Master Page") which doesn't exist among the master pages of this .afpub. It contains 3 rectangles, all set to invisible. – After deleting this master layer in the layers panel of pg 60 I am able also to delete page 60 or other pages without a crash.

idml-import-lastpg-master-issue.thumb.jpg.257bf62b09788f229b5ba55be3bba61b.jpg

@unMule, was your post a misunderstanding?, it sounds confusing to me. This thread started in Feb 2020 and contains individual issues of several users. The last case is from Lars Lizard. You opened my test .afpub (which did not mean to cause issues / was meant as test by Lars) and one old .afpub from Dec. 2020 (which was solved by its OP in later posts).

@thomaso I have indeed opened all the files and modified them.
Lars' file too. Edited, copy/paste text, create pages. The fonts are missing and this document looks relatively empty.
As for the date, I didn't pay attention. Too distracted, as is often the case.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

5 hours ago, thomaso said:

• Did the initial .idml / .indd document contain a master page named "Master Page"?
• And did the last page in ID have any master page assigned?
• Can you upload the according .idml document? It might be useful for Serif developers to investigate the master page procedere.

Your .afpub has on its last page (pg 60) a Master Page assigned (name: "Master Page") which doesn't exist among the master pages of this .afpub. It contains 3 rectangles, all set to invisible. – After deleting this master layer in the layers panel of pg 60 I am able also to delete page 60 or other pages without a crash.

hi,

very good analysis @thomaso! You are right, after deleting the assigned master-layer that does not actually exist from the last page, all page operations seem to work fine again. Maybe I created this layer myself when messing around with the file while setting everything up. Since I've never used Publisher for a bigger projecte like this before I am not very experienced and might have messed something up. The original IDML file did not contain this so it must have happened somewhere along the way.

By the way the name of the missing master page is shown to me as "Master-Seite" since I use the German version of the program. Might localization play a role in the issue?

Find attached the original file I started with (contains no errors as far as I can see.)

Thanks for the support!
Lars

indesign_content_template.idml

2 hours ago, Lars Lizard said:

By the way the name of the missing master page is shown to me as "Master-Seite" since I use the German version of the program. Might localization play a role in the issue?

That's interesting because the facts that it a.) gets translated and b.) appears in the layers panel in brackets "(Master Page)" seem to indicate that this master page is created by APub – though neither ID nor APub use "Master Page" as their default name, while both apps don't allow an unnamed master page and ID additionally requires a prefix in a master page name. Also ID's global layer "Arbeidsplatz" from the .idml wasn't converted to a master page but appears as Layer layer in APub. Maybe @Pauls can shed some light on this occurrence of the odd master page in your 60 pg .afpub which apparently causes APub crashing?

Possibly this master isn't related to an .idml conversion at all and only caused in the .afpub by handling Affinity master actions (create, move, delete, assign, detach etc) in this .afpub after or entirely without a conversion from .idml. I vaguely remember user reports with similar odd kind of left/forgotten master page items that shouldn't exist / seemed to have no parent object but I can't tell if idml was involved for these.