You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.8 not working?

So as most of you know, the new update for all affinity products, 1.8 released today. I opened my Affinity Designer, and clicked the link to update it. After i installed the update, it said "Failed". I press "ok" and went to keep designing on Designer with the older version. A message then pops up saying I couldn't open that program. I uninstall Designer, and reinstall it. It said the installation failed. Please help me. I have clients that are eager to be finished. P.S. I'm on windows 7. Thanks!

If you haven't done so already:

1. Reboot Windows. Then
  2. Right-click on the installer .exe file, and choose Run As Administrator.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Banner Jackson,

Welcome to the forums :)

If the above does not help, we'll require a copy of your installer log.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I have the same issue! And I had the exact problem on Affinity Photo AND Publisher the other day when I ran an update. I finally had to uninstall Photo/Publisher and install it again, that solved it. I attached my log for Designer.

SetupUI.log

Edit:

Just discovered that I had a pending update on Windows. When I rebooted and installed the update, I reinstalled Affinity Designer and now everything works fine.

Edited by Robert Kalitta

• Staff

Hi Robert Kalitta,

Thanks for your file, this shows the following error -

+Error: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer.

Please try restarting your computer, then Right-click on the downloaded EXE and select Run as Administrator. This should hopefully allow the app to install as expected!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi Robert Kalitta,

Thanks for your file, this shows the following error -

+Error: The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer.

Please try restarting your computer, then Right-click on the downloaded EXE and select Run as Administrator. This should hopefully allow the app to install as expected!

Thanks Dan

But that can't be the issue, since after the reboot I could run the install normaly and it worked. You should never violate your scurity and permission settings to install an app. Then you have some serious problems.

Edited by Robert Kalitta

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Banner Jackson,

If the above does not help, we'll require a copy of your installer log.

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you haven't done so already:

1. Reboot Windows. Then
  2. Right-click on the installer .exe file, and choose Run As Administrator.

Thank you guys so much for the help! Simply rebooting, and running as administrator worked. I don't know why I didn't think of that before haha.