You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When draw the line ,the Pen no Press.... Version 1.8.0.585

• Staff

Hey pjwaixingren,

We now recommend using Windows Ink with 1.8 due to a number of improvements. Unfortunately, this has caused the brush resize shortcut to not function correctly so we are currently trying to figure out how to proceed with that. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Hi, 

I would love if the Affinity team could resolve this bug, because disabling Windows Ink has been previously recommended to avoid an issue with changing focus  to different apps messing with the brush functionality - and also messing with the functionality of navigating on the canvas using space shortcut (Win 10, Wacom Intuos Pro, Cintiq 16). 

Having it disabled and losing pressure of the pen is however even worse.

So it is very inconvenient to restart the program every time the focus bug occurs, which can happen very often (every 5-15 minutes, when you work with reference on your other screen or just want to switch music).

3 hours ago, Sygnia said:

Hi, 

I would love if the Affinity team could resolve this bug, because disabling Windows Ink has been previously recommended to avoid an issue with changing focus  to different apps messing with the brush functionality - and also messing with the functionality of navigating on the canvas using space shortcut (Win 10, Wacom Intuos Pro, Cintiq 16). 

Having it disabled and losing pressure of the pen is however even worse.

So it is very inconvenient to restart the program every time the focus bug occurs, which can happen very often (every 5-15 minutes, when you work with reference on your other screen or just want to switch music).

This bug is driving me crazy. All other open sources software (like GIMP, Krita, Inkscape and MyPaint) managed to resolve these bugs in no time and they work with tablets beautifully. 

I am also experiencing the lack of pen pressure using my Wacom Cintiq 22HD in Affinity Photo 1.8.0.585.

By following the suggestion to "Use Windows Ink" I was able to get tablet pressure to work again, but I have to agree with Michał Kamil Kulesza and Sygnia that this is not a great solution.  At this time, I will use the Windows Ink hack to get by, but I do sincerely hope that this bug is high up on the list for fixes.

Windows Ink produces better quality lines than the old method which allows you to draw faster, so it's a good idea to leave it on if you're an artist. It's why I keep using it over 1.7 despite the bugs. Had to resort to using the keyboard shortcut for changing brush size. It works for now, but the issues need to be solved asap as everyone else has said.

On 3/4/2020 at 11:00 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

Windows Ink produces better quality lines than the old method which allows you to draw faster, so it's a good idea to leave it on if you're an artist. It's why I keep using it over 1.7 despite the bugs. Had to resort to using the keyboard shortcut for changing brush size. It works for now, but the issues need to be solved asap as everyone else has said.

I haven't noticed lines of a better quality. Will try to compare with in 1.8 by turning Windows Ink on and off... But what I have noticed is that with Windows Ink enabled there is a lag (about half a second) when starting every line or even moving menu sliders.

24 minutes ago, Michał Kamil Kulesza said:

I haven't noticed lines of a better quality. Will try to compare with in 1.8 by turning Windows Ink on and off... But what I have noticed is that with Windows Ink enabled there is a lag (about half a second) when starting every line or even moving menu sliders.

The difference is actually pretty big. This is an old test I did back in the 1.6 Beta:

Jagged lines.png

At very fast drawing speeds the old system broke down fast. Jagged transitions in curves, input lag at the start of the stroke causing the line to break sharply and then become smoother, and poor pen pressure quality at the ends of every line drawn. To avoid most of these issues you had to slow down your drawing speed to get reliable quality, which was quite unbearable for me who draws lines super quick.

Here are the same actions taken in 1.8 when I tested the Beta:

So yeah, a lot better.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Jagged transitions in curves, input lag at the start of the stroke causing the line to break sharply and then become smoother, and poor pen pressure quality at the ends of every line drawn. To avoid most of these issues you had to slow down your drawing speed to get reliable quality, which was quite unbearable for me who draws lines super quick.

I have just tested it myself (Windows Ink on and off). Maybe there are differences in hardware, brushes used or canvas settings (I tried both simple screen resolution file and (my usual) B1-300dpi-RGB/16bits) but both options are lagging here in different moments. Windows-Ink-on usually at the begging of the stroke (and when grabbing a colour change slider, for example) while Windows-Ink-off lagging during drawing a longer stroke, curve. I have to admit, that W-Ink is not lagging permanently, sometimes it is pretty responsive. But having it enabled in Windows is a pain to use anything else beside Affinity. System with W-Ink enabled treats Wacom pen as "touch" and it is burdensome! Also problematic shortcuts, highlighting text not working and so on...

Dear Serif, is there a way to have some kind of best-of-both-worlds solution (fast, responsive, precise graphic tablet interface without W-Ink load)? Or at least an option to choose a lesser evil?

2 minutes ago, Michał Kamil Kulesza said:

I have just tested it myself (Windows Ink on and off). Maybe there are differences in hardware, brushes used or canvas settings (I tried both simple screen resolution file and (my usual) B1-300dpi-RGB/16bits) but both options are lagging here in different moments. Windows-Ink-on usually at the begging of the stroke (and when grabbing a colour change slider, for example) while Windows-Ink-off lagging during drawing a longer stroke, curve. I have to admit, that W-Ink is not lagging permanently, sometimes it is pretty responsive. But having it enabled in Windows is a pain to use anything else beside Affinity. System with W-Ink enabled treats Wacom pen as "touch" and it is burdensome! Also problematic shortcuts, highlighting text not working and so on...

Dear Serif, is there a way to have some kind of best-of-both-worlds solution (fast, responsive, precise graphic tablet interface without W-Ink load)? Or at least an option to choose a lesser evil?

Did you try the latest Beta build? The patch notes mentioned the lag being solved now, so try that out and see if it works better.

• 2 weeks later...