You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What I've been up to.

Renzatic

It's been a minute since I last posted here, so I figured I'd show off what I've been working on these last few. 

I don't have a complete project as of yet. What I'm doing is building up assets for a comic project I'm working on, trying to do at least one model a day over the next year or so until I have enough objects to mix and match together to build up my various scenes.

I have about 23 models so far. I've thrown them together into a single scene to see if they work together coherently, and, so far, I've been pleased with the results. Since I'm using Designer heavily for labels and other designs, alongside a bit of Photo for touch up work, I figured I'd show off what I've done here.

These are some of the labels I've done over the last couple of days. It's the first time I've used artboards, which makes me feel extra fancy. I actually did a lot of these vegetable objects awhile ago, based on a tutorial I did back when I was first learning Designer. I decided to repurpose them here, and add a few more to flesh things out.

LabelDesigns.thumb.jpg.1dd961e8c8d34084229815ed5cf69a10.jpg

And here they are in scene, alongside a bunch of other objects I've made.

WIPScene.thumb.jpg.957b28f5e85927a119260a07d23c1633.jpg

I'm only a few steps along on a greater journey, but I think I'm off to a good start thus far.

edit: Gotta include my most recent can.

SoupCans.jpg.45e281487146b83ee249c5d03db7b9f1.jpg

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

Love all of it, but especially the style. Definitely unique. Well done.

To be fair to those who I've drawn inspiration from, a lot of my work is based upon things I've learned from 3Dex's and Yulia Sokolova's tutorials. In particular, my vector work apes a lot from Sokolova's flat icon style.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, Brandy said:

I'm just starting out in Designer and looking at world building and creating maps using this program. How did you make these so three dimensional? Love your work.

Hey, thanks. :D

I'm using a lot more than just Designer and Photo to create these images. What you're seeing here is due to the combined efforts of the aforementioned alongside Substance Painter, and Blender.

On 2/27/2020 at 3:32 AM, Renzatic said:

It's been a minute since I last posted here, so I figured I'd show off what I've been working on these last few. 

I don't have a complete project as of yet. What I'm doing is building up assets for a comic project I'm working on, trying to do at least one model a day over the next year or so until I have enough objects to mix and match together to build up my various scenes.

I have about 23 models so far. I've thrown them together into a single scene to see if they work together coherently, and, so far, I've been pleased with the results. Since I'm using Designer heavily for labels and other designs, alongside a bit of Photo for touch up work, I figured I'd show off what I've done here.

These are some of the labels I've done over the last couple of days. It's the first time I've used artboards, which makes me feel extra fancy. I actually did a lot of these vegetable objects awhile ago, based on a tutorial I did back when I was first learning Designer. I decided to repurpose them here, and add a few more to flesh things out.

LabelDesigns.thumb.jpg.1dd961e8c8d34084229815ed5cf69a10.jpg

And here they are in scene, alongside a bunch of other objects I've made.

WIPScene.thumb.jpg.957b28f5e85927a119260a07d23c1633.jpg

I'm only a few steps along on a greater journey, but I think I'm off to a good start thus far.

edit: Gotta include my most recent can.

SoupCans.jpg.45e281487146b83ee249c5d03db7b9f1.jpg

Nice scene and details. I love the atmosphere and eh colour style... whatever that is called. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

27 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

You talking about the halftone effect? 

No the colour theme. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

22 hours ago, Timespider said:

Amazing.

I certainly feel like the bottom of the class when I view other designers work like this, but it gives me inspiration to keep trying.

Love the scenes.

Are the rust effects on the cans pixel or vector?

That's funny, cuz I feel, at best, like I'm an intermediate at this stuff. Like I know my way around these programs, but I'm not really truly GOOD at them yet.

The rust effect was done with edge masks in Substance Painter, so it's bitmap. Most of my designer work revolves around logos, labels, and other arty details like that.

• 1 month later...

Here's my most recent render. As usual, I used Designer for some textures, and did a lot of touching up in Photo to get these final results (with special thanks to firstdefense for helping me with my janky gradient issue).

You'll have to embiggen it to get the full effect on the finer details, since I rendered this out at an obscenely high resolution.

StylizedLab.thumb.jpg.0aef46ccbd04140310e95c623e6a4c72.jpg

1 hour ago, diopside said:

I dove into Blender about a year ago to help me enhance old maps with modern elevation data. Talk about a learning curve - and I'm barely even scratching the surface. I'm consistently blown away by what others do with it.

It's actually a very, very simple scene, and there isn't anything there that can't be done by someone with even a modest amount of 3D experience.

If you know how to do loop cuts, mark sharp edges, and do basic topology work, you could make something just like it yourself, no problem.

Topology.thumb.jpg.93694055529dc71b34990e926ec81025.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BryonManning said:

Very interesting room design. Individual details and the general background create a double impression of comfort and fear. I do not understand why, but I was very interested in the picture.

I've always had a thing for the spooky, so all my stuff ends up this way. 

very nice!...They may be small changes but it is a big improvement!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

3 hours ago, gewoonm said:

Thanks for sharing this, learning a lot by seeing this. I always had trouble in Blender getting the lights right, and this is a very nice insight in how to improve. Thanks!

If you got any questions, feel free to ask here, or PM me if you're weirded out over talking about Blender stuff here in a not Blender forum. I'll answer them if I can.

• 1 month later...