Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It's been a minute since I last posted here, so I figured I'd show off what I've been working on these last few. 

I don't have a complete project as of yet. What I'm doing is building up assets for a comic project I'm working on, trying to do at least one model a day over the next year or so until I have enough objects to mix and match together to build up my various scenes.

I have about 23 models so far. I've thrown them together into a single scene to see if they work together coherently, and, so far, I've been pleased with the results. Since I'm using Designer heavily for labels and other designs, alongside a bit of Photo for touch up work, I figured I'd show off what I've done here.

These are some of the labels I've done over the last couple of days. It's the first time I've used artboards, which makes me feel extra fancy. I actually did a lot of these vegetable objects awhile ago, based on a tutorial I did back when I was first learning Designer. I decided to repurpose them here, and add a few more to flesh things out.

LabelDesigns.thumb.jpg.1dd961e8c8d34084229815ed5cf69a10.jpg

And here they are in scene, alongside a bunch of other objects I've made.

WIPScene.thumb.jpg.957b28f5e85927a119260a07d23c1633.jpg

I'm only a few steps along on a greater journey, but I think I'm off to a good start thus far.

edit: Gotta include my most recent can.

SoupCans.jpg.45e281487146b83ee249c5d03db7b9f1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I know it's been about forever, but I figured I may as well post the ambient shot of the work above. I've done a bunch since, but I figured I might as well show this off.

The decal textures were done in Designer, and the final image was touched up in Photo.

CWB_Scene.thumb.jpg.df112e00c07eedb3a31ddd6d7df1e79b.jpg

Also consumable loaf.

ConsumableLoaf.jpg.09457dbe791adcf0da49609a2746b6f0.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

Love all of it, but especially the style. Definitely unique. Well done.

To be fair to those who I've drawn inspiration from, a lot of my work is based upon things I've learned from 3Dex's and Yulia Sokolova's tutorials. In particular, my vector work apes a lot from Sokolova's flat icon style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just starting out in Designer and looking at world building and creating maps using this program. How did you make these so three dimensional? Love your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, Brandy said:

I'm just starting out in Designer and looking at world building and creating maps using this program. How did you make these so three dimensional? Love your work.

Hey, thanks. :D

I'm using a lot more than just Designer and Photo to create these images. What you're seeing here is due to the combined efforts of the aforementioned alongside Substance Painter, and Blender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 3:32 AM, Renzatic said:

It's been a minute since I last posted here, so I figured I'd show off what I've been working on these last few. 

I don't have a complete project as of yet. What I'm doing is building up assets for a comic project I'm working on, trying to do at least one model a day over the next year or so until I have enough objects to mix and match together to build up my various scenes.

I have about 23 models so far. I've thrown them together into a single scene to see if they work together coherently, and, so far, I've been pleased with the results. Since I'm using Designer heavily for labels and other designs, alongside a bit of Photo for touch up work, I figured I'd show off what I've done here.

These are some of the labels I've done over the last couple of days. It's the first time I've used artboards, which makes me feel extra fancy. I actually did a lot of these vegetable objects awhile ago, based on a tutorial I did back when I was first learning Designer. I decided to repurpose them here, and add a few more to flesh things out.

LabelDesigns.thumb.jpg.1dd961e8c8d34084229815ed5cf69a10.jpg

And here they are in scene, alongside a bunch of other objects I've made.

WIPScene.thumb.jpg.957b28f5e85927a119260a07d23c1633.jpg

I'm only a few steps along on a greater journey, but I think I'm off to a good start thus far.

edit: Gotta include my most recent can.

SoupCans.jpg.45e281487146b83ee249c5d03db7b9f1.jpg

Nice scene and details. I love the atmosphere and eh colour style... whatever that is called. 🙂


I gave up using Designer (even for hobby use) - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

You talking about the halftone effect? 

No the colour theme. 


I gave up using Designer (even for hobby use) - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for.

Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can it use. Until then... I am a customer, potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing.

I certainly feel like the bottom of the class when I view other designers work like this, but it gives me inspiration to keep trying.

Love the scenes.

Are the rust effects on the cans pixel or vector?


Motto - STUPID HURTS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Timespider said:

Amazing.

I certainly feel like the bottom of the class when I view other designers work like this, but it gives me inspiration to keep trying.

Love the scenes.

Are the rust effects on the cans pixel or vector?

That's funny, cuz I feel, at best, like I'm an intermediate at this stuff. Like I know my way around these programs, but I'm not really truly GOOD at them yet.

The rust effect was done with edge masks in Substance Painter, so it's bitmap. Most of my designer work revolves around logos, labels, and other arty details like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.