You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hang/Crash when trying to insert Button from Asset (Grade UI)

MartinPsx

Hi,

I just installed the new version 1.8.0.585 / Windows 10 build 1903.

When I try to insert a Button from the Grade UI kit via Asset Window + Drag/Drop, the UI freezes, I have to kill the application then.

When I try to insert a "Switch On" element, everything is ok.

How to reproduce: Start Designer, create new page, drag/drop e.g. a button from Grade UI to the page...

Best Regards,

Martin

• Staff

Hi MartinPsx,

I've just tried this on my machine and it is not crashing for me. Could you try and do the following for me please?
First backup and attach a copy of your Application Data. To do this go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and zip up the 1.0 folder and attach it to the link below. This will send us your application data and settings so we can attempt to reproduce using your customisations and assets.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/jAfMs2gHz4xaj5nM7zZR

Once you've done that can you try removing the Grade UI category from the Asset Panel and re-importing it using the original afassets file please?

Thanks

I have the same problem after installing 1.8.0 and I can't work because the program crashes completely after suspension.
I will add that I have windows 10 pro build 2020.02.266239400.
I need help in this subject.

Regards
Lobo

Edited by Lobo

Same problem with me. I going back to old version. Drag an asset crash the program. Ease to reproduce, just try to add an asset from IOS 12 , I tried to add a bar and the program just freeze. Also another issue, pexels is not working, show conection error.

Regards

Edited by alenzo

Hang or crash when trying to insert a button from "any" Asset, in my case (iOS12 / UI Bars)!

Don't be frightened (I'm not soooo fast at drawing), I just made the screenshot 2x faster.

But you can see how AD collapses step by step, a slow and painful death:

Here, maybe helpful, my system info:

Modell: HP EliteBook 8560w (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, 2301 MHz, 4 Core, 8 log. Proc.) 32GB RAM

GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 2000M 2GB (Driver:  10.18.13.5362)

AD_1.8.0_hang_asset_bug.gif

I have the same problem with assets. After dragging a few, Designer dies. If you double click on the asset and then put it in on your page Designer does not crash.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Thank you for the hint "AlainP", but Affinity advertises with the Drag'n'Drop function which should be programmed in the software core as a function declaration and actually must be forgotten that this is state of the art. But no, not with Affinity, because with Affinity the handling gets worse and worse with every new program version and there are errors that have never been observed with previous versions.

I have the feeling that with every new version the source code is rewritten again and again!

• Staff

Hi guys,

Thanks for the updates - it turns out this is hanging when you drag a asset in that contains a font that you don't have. So in my case I was unable to reproduce using GradeUI because I had the Roboto font already installed, however I could reproduce it with the iOS12 assets as I didn't have the SF fonts used.

I'll get this logged with development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Hang when dragging assets that contain fonts that aren't installed) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon