You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo v 1.8 update crashing program

vining

I have just installed the latest version of AP 1.8.  This went well until the program got past the splash image, then opened into a blank AP screen with no menus etc.

Tried closing and reopening with the same result. I uninstalled the program, reinstalled the program. It then opened fine with all necessary menus, and new templates. Pictures opened, and everything appeared fine.

Until I closed the program. Then it went back to the same problem...nothing worked. I am running Win 10 with 16 g of ram.

Would it be possible to reinstall the 1.73 version ?   

James

On 2/27/2020 at 9:57 AM, tzoumaz said:

I had also a crash on install 1.8. Look to your log.txt in your user directory. On me the install failed with "Wintab: Failed to load wintab32.dll". wintab32.dll was not in SysWOW64 however. I installed it and 1.8 was installed. Hope I can help you.

Hi, that message isn't a fatal error message, there should be no need to install WinTab unless you have a tablet (e.g. Wacom).

Just experienced all 3 Apps crashing on startup (win10 1909). But they did open just after upgrading. So I did a little investigation and it seems that I had my fontmanager running during installation. So i started the fontmanager and now affinity apps start like before. Did not too much testing but I believe that there was one font "activated" (instead of "installed in win font folder) at that time...

Just installed the actual version of AP 1.8 -> same problem: blank screen without menus and after a few seconds the program shuts down.

No change after deleting and reinstallation: AP still shuts down after a few seconds of showing a blank screen without menus.

Running Win 10 on a skookum computer and am experiencing the same issue with my purchased version since the 1.8 update. Have found if I try a couple of times to start the program, it eventually will load properly but is a wee bit frustrating to have this happen. Hopefully Affinity figures out the cause and a fix soon :)

• Staff

The 1.8.1.610 beta builds of Photo and Designer for Windows have a potential fix for the issues reported here, including a preference for the way tablets function.

Would any of you be able to install the beta and try it out and see whether it starts OK for you? Thanks for your patience.

and the Photo equivalent

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@WehKah & @Rogurt

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

The beta builds, pointed to in the post by me above this, install side-by-side with the release build, so they can be tried without uninstalling the release build

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon