You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Huge delay when duplicating or moving page

monkfood

I just updated to 1.8 version and when opening a file i edited befor the update without and issue, i now experience 12 Second wait time when duplicating a page in a 27 Page document and 52 second process time when moving a single page to a different position. Both took a maximum 2-3 seconds in earler version. Laptop is state of the art and ressource (CPU, memory) are more than sufficiently available.

Cheers

Robert

I have a similar problem. I'm working on a book with 200 pages, only 15 photo's (linked) the rest is text (and just on the right page, no full page based connecting columns). Duplicating 2 text pages takes 3 to 4 minutes! CPU usage goes to 97%, memory goes from 40% to 95% (also 16GB RAM). Most of the times it doesn't hang, but to have to wait several minutes just by duplicating a spread is unworkable. After the duplication, CPU goes back to 0,1% and RAM to around 20% when I'm not using the computer (moving the mouse or scrolling the document).
I have tried several things. And found that:
A. Don't link Affinity Photo files in your Publisher document. I now export my Affinity Photo documents to TIFF files and import them into Publisher. The file size went from 120Mb to just 7MB. No more the advantage of editing your Photo files directly in Publisher :(
B. Don't use images. Yes, this is bizarre, but upon testing I found that images are the main reason the whole process slows down. I now have a text only document, and duplicating a spread now takes 10 seconds. I'll be adding all the images at the end of the total process. It's absolutely not what I want, but otherwise there is no way you can work 'quickly' with a document.

I was hopig a speed increase would make version 1.8 better than <1.7, but alas, it has gotten far worse actually. For a future update I am not interested in any new feature, I need a speed gain of 240%, so that adding 1 page takes 1 second.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jon P said:

We have an issue logged relating to this, but if you can upload your file here I'll take a look and check it's in line with that issue.

Hi Jon,

my "old" a4query-50.afpub publisher document (2,2GB, 216 pages, >200 images, about 40 master pages) has the same issue - moving a facing page takes more than 30 seconds - do you still have the document or should I upload it again?

Thanks, Christian

Affinity Publisher 1.8.0.584; Windows 10

I've uploaded the document a4query-50.afpub - it takes about

• 90 seconds to move a facing page to a new position
  • 55 seconds to delete a facing page
  • 35 seconds to add a facing page
  • 60 seconds to duplicate a facing page

during the whole time there is neither disc nor network access.

Thanks, Christian

I have uploaded my .afpub file in this similar topic: /108569-moving-and-inserting-pages-takes-ages-or-locks-up-publisher/
I hope you can fix this problem. You need lots of patience while testing!

Have the same problem. Brand new fast computer with 16 GB Ram and on a 150 page book it took over 5 minutes to move 5 pages up two places. Terrible, and I cant go get coffee because I don't drink coffee! Okay, tried it again! It took two minutes to move one page and redraw my screen but still everything was locked up. had to wait another 2 and a half minutes before I could do anything with publisher! Wow!

Downloaded the beta (1.8.2.603) and it's a bit better. Duplicating a spread now takes between 2:30 and 3 minutes. My NVidia GTX 1060 6Gb can handle realtime rendering in Blender, but duplicating 2 almost empty pages in 2D is the real challenge... 😞

• Staff

I understand we are trialing further fixes for adding/removing pages this into the next Publisher beta, so please try again when that is available

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Christian Luidolt said:

moving, deleting, duplicating, adding pages is done almost immediately

That is very helpful. I hope that the time taken to do those operations has been improved by 1.8.2.619 for all other users too.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

This is much better! Now around 4 seconds, CPU peaks 1 sec. at 88%. Program still has difficulties when editing text on the page, and you then want to scroll the pages view on the left. There is a 1 to 2 seconds no respons on the scrollbar.

Downloaded the latest version that's now available (1.8.2.620) and the speed is now much better when inserting or duplicating pages. Although the program is still not super responsive when you want to edit text, you can place the cursor and start typing but then have to wait to see your text appear.

• Staff

There's some improvements in text entry speed on longer documents, so it hopefully shouldn't be too bad, but if you have a very large document with many flowing text frames and are entering text in an early frame it will take some time to reflow all the text

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I have been working today on a Publisher file, and entering or adjusting text is still a bit slow. The document is 200 pages, with only on the right side text frames, which are not linked, so the text doesn't has to reflow. What I noticed, is that placing the cursor in the text frame is immediatly visible (the hyphen), but typing a few characters takes some moments to process. Also, when you then use the scrollbars to move the page, or use the scrollbar on the left of the pages panel, there is also a hickup/freeze.