You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The artboard tool cannot be undone

JCD2016

Using the artboard tool, the changes you make cannot be undone. You'll need to close the document without saving, and start over. The undo function does work, but leaves you with a messed up document. goes for imported files like PDF, but also native afdesigner files.

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area ( artboard undo problem ) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I'm new to Affinity Designer and was trying to find a way to crop canvas. I applied the artboard as a method and totally freaked out because I couldn't undo it, and it had shifted things around. It wasn't much work to simply shut down without saving and recreate a few steps of work but I'm really glad this is being worked on.

• 3 months later...

I'm also experiencing this issue in Affinity Designer for MacOS. The undo stack doesn't include any effects the Artboard Tool has had. you can delete the artboard it's created in the layers view, but you can't get the original canvas back. You can undo and redo to get the original position of the objects back, however. I'm on version 1.8.1.

@Megnusin

You've posted to the "Designer Bugs found on Windows" forum.  Clearly, it is at least a similar bug to the subject of this thread but really ought to be posted to the relevant Mac forum area.

Perhaps a moderator will see you post and move it to the "Designer Bugs found on Mac".

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

• Staff
On 6/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Megnusin said:

I'm also experiencing this issue in Affinity Designer for MacOS. The undo stack doesn't include any effects the Artboard Tool has had. you can delete the artboard it's created in the layers view, but you can't get the original canvas back. You can undo and redo to get the original position of the objects back, however. I'm on version 1.8.1.

This was fixed in 1.8.2 for macOS, so will no longer be an issue if you update to the latest version (1.8.3), available in your account here.