You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom and Windows Ink

Mrty76

24 minutes ago, Sarper said:

Great news. Is it possible to add WinTab implementation back and give the users ability to switch between them?

Yeah I'd like to see this added back in too. It's always good to have options, especially on windows where there are so many different hardware and software configurations.

I've tried all day to find a fix for these problem too, it started with the 1.8 update both for Photo and Designer (havent tried Publisher).

Already tried:
Changing "Pen Setting" in windows 10
Changing "Pen and Touch" in control panel
Enable and disable Windows Ink in the Wacom Tablet Properties Panel.

No matter what I did, I always presented a combination of: Annoying flick circles with right click, no pen pressure, right click not working for straight nodes in pen tool; or alt+L-click+R-click for brush size not working.

Is it possible to rollback to 1.7.3 while this is fixed?

• Staff
7 hours ago, Arceom said:

I've tried all day to find a fix for these problem too, it started with the 1.8 update both for Photo and Designer (havent tried Publisher).

Already tried:
Changing "Pen Setting" in windows 10
Changing "Pen and Touch" in control panel
Enable and disable Windows Ink in the Wacom Tablet Properties Panel.

No matter what I did, I always presented a combination of: Annoying flick circles with right click, no pen pressure, right click not working for straight nodes in pen tool; or alt+L-click+R-click for brush size not working.

Is it possible to rollback to 1.7.3 while this is fixed?

If you are using the Affinity Store version, you can downgrade using this link:
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/photo/1/

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

It's good that WinTab is an option now, but I hope fixing Windows Ink so it finally works as intended remains a high priority. Just feels bad when you use it and all mouse shortcuts don't work at all. Can't even add to selection with the Lasso tool using R click with Windows Ink because of the bugs.

We will continue to work on Windows Ink support, as that is the only way to deliver high precision input which we think is valuable to a lot of customers.

52 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

We will continue to work on Windows Ink support, as that is the only way to deliver high precision input which we think is valuable to a lot of customers.

Thank You for the option to disable Windows Ink. I have tested both inputs (enabling or disabling both Windows Ink in Affinity Photo and Wacom tablet properties window) and have not noticed any difference in quality of drawing. But that may be because of my hardware (4770k@4,3GHz, 16GB DDR3, GTX1080)... For me, disabling Windows Ink is beneficial because of several drawbacks (key shortcuts, system "pen is now touch" behavior and others).

Could You indicate any reasons why Windows Ink is favourable as a tablet interface in a long run?

Are there any benefits with newer hardware (than mine) or do I miss something while testing?

15 minutes ago, Michał Kulesza said:

Could You indicate any reasons why Windows Ink is favourable as a tablet interface in a long run?

Are there any benefits with newer hardware (than mine) or do I miss something while testing?

We only use the pressure data from WinTab, not the positional data (there's technical reasons why it's not easy to use the positional data). So it means that whilst you receive accurate pressure data, the positional data is only as accurate as a mouse would be (despite being vastly higher resolution).

With Windows Ink we are able to receive high precision positional data from Windows, which means that that you can draw accurately at a sub-pixel level. In reality this shouldn't make too much difference unless you're actually drawing on a screen (e.g. Surface Pro devices, and perhaps Wacom Cintiq too).

In reality most users will never notice the difference, it's just that from a technical point of view, the data from Windows Ink is better.

8 minutes ago, Ladmen said:

Ink Tab is enabled or disabled, shortcuts  to change size of the brush still doesn't work on my cintiq pro 24 ( last version it worked was 1.7)

Did you disable Windows Ink in both Wacom Preferences and in Affinity preferences?

2 hours ago, Sarper said:

Did you disable Windows Ink in both Wacom Preferences and in Affinity preferences?

I think I have done it. But i don't see in Wacom preferences directly - option to do anything with Windows Ink. I turned off WIndows ink in Windows settings instead and Affinity preferences. It didn't help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So...guess I was wrong.
I installed 1.8.3. With Windows ink checked/on in my Wacom settings I CAN zoom in via ALT+magnifying glass+wacom pen. But I CAN'T zoom out using ALT+magnifying glass+wacom pen. I CAN zoom out if I ALT+magnifying glass+mouseclick.

If I uncheck Windows-ink in the settings I can't draw anymore. (only some straight lines)

In this case, setting buttons in my pen as a modifiers ( Alt+Right cilck, or alt + ctr) and later switching off windows ink in Wacom settings helped me - I can again resize brushes. But there is still a lot of problems with painting in Affinity Photo, when you choose one of your brushes is temporairly highlighted in brush panel - then when you do things in your file suddenly it is no longer highlighted ( this is real problem if you have 30 brushes for example and don't know which you have used).. you can't rearange them also, it is  such a pain in the ars still. Also when I am setting the brushes to react on rotation of art brush it sometimes stuck, or not working. All this little things making using AP for purely painting - diffucult, and I just swithed back to Corel Painter for now. I hope in the future you will tweak the painitng section that artist could use it for reall painting also.In this case, setting buttons in my pen as a modifiers ( Alt+Right cilck, or alt + ctr) and later switching off windows ink in Wacom settings helped me - I can again resize brushes. But there is still a lot of problems with painting in Affinity Photo, when you choose one of your brushes is temporairly highlighted in brush panel - then when you do things in your file suddenly it is no longer highlighted ( this is real problem if you have 30 brushes for example and don't know which you have used).. you can't rearange them also, it is  such a pain in the ars still. Also when I am setting the brushes to react on rotation of art brush it sometimes stuck, or not working. Making straight lines should be easier also, with some shortcut. All this little things making using AP for purely painting - diffucult, and I just swithed back to Corel Painter for now. I hope in the future you will tweak the painitng section that artist could use it for reall painting also.