You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wacom and Windows Ink

Mrty76

Hello

I have problem while using Wacom tablets (Intuos 5 and Intuos M) with both Photo and Designer 1.8.0.585.

When Windows Ink is enabled, I can't change brush size, spacing, rotation using ALT-LMB-RMB-drag not to mention bubbles, ripples and Alt, Ctrl, Shift labels appearing under cursor.

When disabled - no pressure sensitivity. Please help.

(Windows 10, Lenovo Y70)

9 hours ago, baronowski said:

Why there is no native support for pen pressure anymore ? I dont like Windows Ink because is very laggy. I've allways disable this feature in wacom settings. Everything  works fine in 1.7.3

Hello,

I would second this. The Wacom-driver worked absolutely fine on my Cintiq in all Pre-1.8 versions. I can't see any advantage to switch to Windows Ink for Wacom Users. Instead I have to deal with poping up screen keyboard and hold&rigthclick-circles now, which is quite anoying.

I understand that there are improvements for Windows Ink users, while my second computer is a Surface Book, which works fine so far. But on my desktop with Wacom Cintiq there is no need for using Windows Ink.

It would be nice, if there would be a switch-Button in the Affintiy apps for the user to decide if he/she would like to use Windows Ink. Clip Studio Paint does it this way for example.

Cheers, chessboard

Add me to this list. I can not change the brush size using the shortcut I've always used with my Wacom Intuos 3, if I have Windows Ink enabled.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I really like to switch to Affinity as drawing/painting applications, but the problems that I can't work with my Wacom tablets as drawing in Affinity AD/AP. There is a slight lag when I start to draw even with the new version.
I tried it on another PC and still the problem exist.

Glad this has already brought up and the devs are aware. Just thought I would add that I am having the same problems with my Huion display tablet since upating to version 1.8. Pen pressure only works with windows ink enabled, windows ink is laggy and jerky, and a lot of my shortcuts are also broken with windows ink enabled.

Since updating to 1.8, I can not use my Wacom pen and then the mouse a few seconds later.   When I use the pen, affinity completely ignores any clicks from my mouse.  I would like to roll back to the previous version, but when I do try to roll back the installation fails.  

Edited by Fadra

I reported this to the devs already in December last year during the Beta period. I am a bit surprised that 1.8 was released before fixing the Windows Ink bugs, since they are a serious hindrance to all tablet users on Windows.

I would also like to mention that using alt+R click+L click with your mouse is not an option either. There is currently a bug that freezes all Affinity products when using the previously mentioned command. That and the issue of panning your canvas sometimes break so you can't move around in your project make 1.8 quite a hassle to work with at times.

I also use a Wacom Bamboo Touch and it works well, but "Alt-Right click" to change size and hardness does not work anymore.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

For me it worked just great in the previous versions with WinTab, why would you force users to switch to Windows Ink, it's terrible. The modifier keys show below cursor even though that option is disabled at OS level. As well as right click "ring". Alt+Right+Left click drag doesn't work. At least make it optional. I'll go back to 1.7.3 🤦‍♂️

10 hours ago, AlainP said:

I also use a Wacom Bamboo Touch and it works well, but "Alt-Right click" to change size and hardness does not work anymore.

AlainP mine still works. I have it assigned to the pen 'top' button. L-R is size and Up-Down is hardness. I have NOT enabled windows ink.

HTH.

5 hours ago, PaulAffinity said:

AlainP mine still works. I have it assigned to the pen 'top' button. L-R is size and Up-Down is hardness. I have NOT enabled windows ink.

HTH.

If I don't enable Windows Ink Right click works for changing size and hardness, but then I loose pressure sensitivity.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I've posted my opinion on the Windows Ink issues in the Designer 1.8 beta forum, but it applies as much to the final Photo release.

Using a Wacom tablet (Intuos 5 M or Cintiq 22) with Windows Ink is a horrible experience. That's why Clip Studio, Krita, Rebelle, Blender, Cinema 4D and other animation/graphics software either allow WinTab or have incorporated workarounds.

Of course there are good reasons for Serif to make the change. But I can't get work done in 1.8X because of  the current Ink issues.

I have been using Designer since the first beta on the Mac.

My workaround is to disable pressure sensitivity in Affinity, and use other software for brush work, then import into Affinity for final polishing, colour management, typography and export to online or print formats.

Yes, it's a pain in the .... you know where... but I'm confident that it will be fixed in a not so far release.

-- Macbook Air 15"

This explains a frustrating last hour or so. Similar grief with a Huion pen tablet.

Disable Windows Ink option ASAP please.

I guess I'll have to roll back to 1.7 which will mean I have to lose the vastly superior expand stroke in Affinity Designer 1.8. Can I run both versions?

+1 here... 

And I thought it was only me... So wecan hope for fix. It's just a few days since I changed to Affinity and I was really frustrated about this bug and the fact that because of that I had to use PS again... 😫

On 2/27/2020 at 3:08 PM, Michał Kamil Kulesza said:

Add me to the list also. Since Affinity 1.8 Wacom pressure works only with Windows Ink enabled. :(

This causes me a lot of problems (circles, Alt-Ctrl-Shift buttons, laggy, can not highlight text in Chrome-based browsers because input is interpreted as touch...).

I get a noticable lag (about 1/2 sec estimated) with each pen-click, too. Not just when drawing, but also all over the UI, even in the menus. Quite anoying esp. when working with shapes and lines. I can't remember this in version 1.7.

While I had no problems with the old method in pre-1.8-versions I would really appreciate to have the choice between the old method an Windows Ink.

16 hours ago, Aongus Collins said:

Of course there are good reasons for Serif to make the change

What are those reasons to move to Windows Ink?
My other questions are:
2. is the move to Windows Ink permanent?
3. is it possible to make it optional?
4. if necessary, is there a way to make it turned-on while Affinity application is in focus?

Best, if someone from Serif answers these.

2 minutes ago, Michał Kamil Kulesza said:

Best, if someone from Serif answers these.

Damn, I knew the answers to all those questions!

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Since the update :

when windows ink disabled in the wacom (intuos pro) settings (like it was pre 1.8.0.585) : Drawing is good, but I can't use the eraser on the back of my pro pen 2. 

when windows ink is enabled in the wacom settings: Drawing is lagging. The lines appear way to late. But I can use the eraser on my pen.