You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can´t edit file anymore after update

Hello,

i just updated to publisher 1.8.0.584. When i open my afpub-file i can no more scroll through my layoutpages and no more edit them. i just see the first pages.

when i change the document settings from showing opposite pages to showing page by page, then i was able editing pages like usual now.

Edited by pmwjournals

I was delighted to see last night (26th Feb 2020) that a new major version of Publisher was available, and downloaded and installed it without a problem.  Opening it was also apparently problem-free, but when I tried to open an existing file, the program crashed - it just disappeared from my screen.

I relaunched the program without a problem and again tried to open an existing file, and exactly the same thing happened.  I gave up.

Is a bug fix imminent (i.e., TODAY!), or should I uninstall version 1.8 and re-install an earlier version?

A super-fast response from Affinity would be welcome!

Trevor

Hi @Trevor A, your issue does not seem to be the same as @pmwjournals has described and I assume it would be more useful to put such an issue in a separate new topic or into a thread where the error description is more close to yours. E.g. you may take a look at and the suggestion made by adbosch to work around the closing issue when opening an existing file.

It worked for me to at least open the files and allowed me to fiddle around with linked documents inside and save them to a state that worked without the problem again.

Jon
I downloaded the resaved file and clicked on the Windows notification to open it, which launched Publisher and opened the document, with all pages now being blank.

From within Publisher I then tried to open the resaved file (without closing the blank page version), which resulted in an immediate crash.

I relaunched Publisher and with no other file open tried to open the resaved file, which again resulted in an immediate crash.

Thank you for your assistance.  I have to go out shortly, but will be back later.

Trevor

• Staff

Can you attach the crash reports in %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 and I'll see if there is any info in there.

I've pm'd you another version of the file that has all images replaced with a placeholder image, let me know if this opens for you - as it will help narrow down where the problem is

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thank you.  Herewith crash reports.

I have tried opening some other files and some have opened with blank or partially blank pages, while others have caused the program to crash.

de8b5d3f-acb5-4e18-903a-5765210b8941.dmp e1bb67ba-bd73-4161-a1f1-d4138a0db689.dmp 32f66fb7-f2e0-4b45-9e52-c0e223b727c3.dmp 051177cd-0c6c-4d01-a0ac-12c9496d6dd7.dmp

12 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Sorry.

I clearly didn't understand how the forum works; I thought it was based on topics, not on people.

Next time I have a new problem, I'll try to find out how to open a new thread.

Trevor

you just have to open a new thread. i get all the notifications, im not interested in.

• Staff

Thanks, I can replicate the behavior but if I disable Clip with Canvas it behaves correctly, do you find if you untick Clip with Canvas it then starts scrolling?

Either way, there is a bug here and I've logged it

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 2/27/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jon P said:

Thanks, I can replicate the behavior but if I disable Clip with Canvas it behaves correctly, do you find if you untick Clip with Canvas it then starts scrolling?

Thanks for reporting.

I use the german version, - in which menue can i find clip with canvas?

On 2/27/2020 at 6:40 PM, Jon P said:

-> Found unclip with canvas -> yes it helps to unclip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Specific file can't be scrolled through if clip with canvas is enabled
) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon