You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo-Apple Photos

Cecil

6 minutes ago, SteveB523 said:

Just out of curiosity, did you check and see whether Affinity stored one or more files on your Mac, as you described in an earlier post?

Not when I attempt to develop a RAW in Affinity Develop, no. 

On 3/3/2020 at 8:50 PM, rhmb said:

My understanding of flattening is that it condenses all of the layers into one. Which is fine as long as you are satisfied that your edits are final. But it does mean that you cannot re-open the image and change any of the layers, you have to edit the whole image. In truly non-destructive editing, you would be able to go back into the image using the same software (assuming no intermediate steps with other software) and pick up where you left off, making changes to layers from the previous session. 

AP does not seem to let us do this at present. If I have saved changes from either "Edit in" or "Edit with AP" I have two choices if I want to re-do some edits. In "Edit with", I can either start over (revert to original) or work from the baked in edited image that was saved to Apple.

Since Apple Photos doesn’t support layers, I would be shocked if it worked otherwise.

of course, you have the alternative of using the Share command to save a new jpg back to Apple Photos and the Save command to save the Affinity layers file to, for example, iCloud.

8 minutes ago, SteveB523 said:

Since Apple Photos doesn’t support layers, I would be shocked if it worked otherwise.

of course, you have the alternative of using the Share command to save a new jpg back to Apple Photos and the Save command to save the Affinity layers file to, for example, iCloud.

Sharing does get me an edited jpg image back into Apple Photos but it also strips all of the metadata from the photo, even basic info such as the capture date and original file name, so not really an option for my purposes. 

Agree that Saving to an external file is an option and with AP, it appears to be the only option if one wants to preserve the layers. It does mean, however, that one has to maintain a folder somewhere with the afphoto format files and (I suspect) do any further edits outside the  Apple Photo ecosystem.

On the other hand, with my other photo editing software extension in Apple Photos, I can edit with layers, save the changes back to Apple simply by clicking Done and Save Changes, and re-open the image in the extension and carry on where I left off, as long as I did not do any edits with other software in between. And yes, this other software has become my go-to but that is a personal choice. 

I see zero chatter in Beta suggesting that Serif is working on a fix or fixed the problem.  Funny I saw post from moderator before release of 1.8 suggesting or expecting a fix.  As iCloud is my main storage of choice, iMac/iPad Pro/iPhone XS, I painted myself in a corner, no way out.  I take all video and photos with my XS.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

16 minutes ago, rhmb said:

On the other hand, with my other photo editing software extension in Apple Photos, I can edit with layers, save the changes back to Apple simply by clicking Done and Save Changes, and re-open the image in the extension and carry on where I left off, as long as I did not do any edits with other software in between. And yes, this other software has become my go-to but that is a personal choice. 

Correction to my post above. With my other software and its Apple Photos extension, I can edit with filters, etc etc save the changes back to Apple, and then re-open in the extension and carry on as I left off. I have not, however, tried this with layers. The Ins and Outs of Non-destructive Editing in Photos article by Nik Bhatt that was mentioned in previous thread gives a much better overview of this than I could possibly attempt. 

3 hours ago, Cecil said:

I see zero chatter in Beta suggesting that Serif is working on a fix or fixed the problem.  Funny I saw post from moderator before release of 1.8 suggesting or expecting a fix.  As iCloud is my main storage of choice, iMac/iPad Pro/iPhone XS, I painted myself in a corner, no way out.  I take all video and photos with my XS.  

So you don't see any difference between 1.8 and 1.7.3?

Still problems outlined in the above posts.  We need an end to workarounds, a solid open, edit, save and done process.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection