You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo-Apple Photos

Cecil

I think someone should reopen this thread for AP 1.8 and Apple Photos round trip Edit In/With and Save. Yes I realize it was not listed in the announced release notes: however, update of projected fix would be appreciated. Thank you.  Please don't shoot the messenger.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

2 hours ago, Denty said:

Updated to V1.8 this morning.  The problem with edit with affinity photo not working since updating to Catalina appears to be fixed for me,

Great new for you, same old problem for me.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

2 hours ago, Denty said:

Updated to V1.8 this morning.  The problem with edit with affinity photo not working since updating to Catalina appears to be fixed for me,

It appears to be working fine for me too. I have just updated to V1.81 😀

edit I am on Catalina 10.15.4 Beta (19E242d)

• Staff

Hi Cecil,
There are two ways to send images from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo:
1. the Edit With command: accessible through a right-click (contextual menu) over a thumbnail (in thumbnails view) or image (in single image view) in Apple Photos
2. the Edit in Affinity Photo extension: accessible through the More button (the ellipsis inside a circle icon) in Edit mode in Apple Photos

They are not the same thing and should not be mixed to avoid confusion. The issues they present may not be related as well. Which one is failing for you?

Having similar problems as others have reported in past with the "Edit in Affinity" extension in Apple Photos (Catalina 10.15.3, Affinity 1.8.1). If I flatten before saving, Apple Photos lets me saves the changes as expected. If I do not flatten the photo before saving, Apple Photos will not let me save the changes and shows the message "Unable to edit with 'Edit in Affinity Photos,' An unexpected error occurred." Even though Apple Photo would not let me save the changes for the unflattened edit attempt, the edited photo can be found via the AP recents in the document and using Reveal in finder I can see that the edited photo has been saved in the intermediaries folder in the Group Container folder, in both afpohoto and jpg format. This issue seems unique to Affinity. I had no difficulty whatsoever in attempting to do a similar edit using the ON1 extension in Apple Photos.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

the Edit in Affinity Photo extension: accessible through the More button (the ellipsis inside a circle icon) in Edit mode in Apple Photos

After download 1.8.1 today I followed number 2, as in the past.  I made a Text entry, Feb 2020, and Saved.  After saving I closed AP.  The Apple Photos Windows Save Changes appears, clicked Saved, same error notice received as experienced in 1,7.3.  I can record, if needed, I will enclosed for now the error notice.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.24.59 AM.png

Cecil 

@MEB I finally figure how to save edits with Edit In Affinity Photos.  Using method 2 above, don't SAVE.  File, Share and Add to Photos.  Close all windows and the saved photo will be in the Apple Photos App.  To be honest, I never saw this posted as the solution.  A Serif tutorials video would be beneficial to all macOS users.

BTW, method one, Apple Photos, right click, Edit With, Affinity Photo works with Share, Add to Photos.

Cecil 

I may be applying the recommended work around using File Share Add to Photos incorrectly but with this I end up with a flattened file stripped of its original metadata and which cannot be reverted to original. And when it's added to Apple Photos, it is not automatically in the same album as the photo I am trying to edit, I have to look for it in recent imports. The Edit in Affinity Photo extension quite simply seems to still be broken even if work arounds do provide a fix. By contrast, I am having no problem whatsoever editing photos in other extensions I have with Apple Photos. 

Edited by rhmb
minor typo

Updated to V1.8 yesterday morning.  The problem with edit with affinity photo not working since updating to Catalina appears to be fixed for me,

Applied 1.81 this morning and tried editing from within the photos edit in AP extension option, all worked OK just closing and saving the AP document after editing.  Came back into photos, got the flattening message, save changes and everything worked as normal, was able to revert back within photos as normal.

Also worked using edit with from right click on thumbnail.  Only difference is that it appears as if the metadata isn't passed through to AP and opens up straight into the photo persona even though it is an Olympus Raw File (.ORF).  Return trip into photos worked fine.

Seems like a very complex problem to solve though.

I made sure that Photos was quit when I did the AP upgrade, don't know if that made a difference or not.

4 hours ago, Denty said:

Applied 1.81 this morning and tried editing from within the photos edit in AP extension option, all worked OK just closing and saving the AP document after editing

To verify, did you close the edit photo in AP without saving, close AP and then click Save or Done on Apple Edit Window?

Cecil 

Hi Cecil,

Workflow was;

select photo in Photos app,

select edit,

select edit in affinity photo from the extensions list

photo opened in AP,

did edits,

Select file:close:save in AP

switch to Apple Photos,

select save changes

Then back in the edit function of Apple Photos.   Revert to original option was available so was able to toggle between original and modified (ctr+z).

select done to go back to thumbnails.

revert to original remained available when I went back into edit in Apple Photos.

This is exactly as it was before Catalina for me.

When I select Save 

7 minutes ago, Denty said:

select save changes

This step is when I receive error notice.

Cecil 

I am getting the same error code at this step as well. I have, however, found that if I click outside the image (in the empty space around it) after closing AP and switching back to Apple Photos - and, most importantly, before selecting save changes - sometimes - but not always - save changes works and I do not get an error message. The important thing seems to be ensure that even if AP has been closed and it looks like one is back in Apple Photos, the menu at the top of the screen is the AP menu. Clicking outside the photo before selecting save changes, the menu bar top screen changes to the Apple Photos menu. But again, this doesn't work every time. 

On occasions when this does not work, the edited photo (the one that one has just unsuccessfully tried to save in Apple) can be found in the recents which show above the AP icon in the dock (Mac OS). Opening the photo from the dock and selecting reveal in finder once back in AP,  we can see that the most recently edited photo is in Library/Group Containers/.........com.seriflabs.extensions/intermediaries. This file contains the original photo, an afphoto version of the edit, and a jpeg version of the edit. One suspects the jpeg is the version that AP is supposed to send back to Apple Photos. I am not suggesting this as a work around, but at least it might give some possibility of not losing the edits. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 7.44.23 AM.png

Edited by rhmb
Removed screenshot.

8 hours ago, Denty said:

Hi Cecil,

Workflow was;

select edit,

photo opened in AP,

did edits,

switch to Apple Photos,

select save changes

Then back in the edit function of Apple Photos.   Revert to original option was available so was able to toggle between original and modified (ctr+z).

revert to original remained available when I went back into edit in Apple Photos.

@Denty That did work. I am  Providing screen shot I took of your procedure from Photos, following your steps, I just typed simple text, Test.  You have to close AP, the next screen request click Save, exit AP,.  Apple screen was not active or Save available (grayed out); however, clicking on empty bar, the screen became active, as did Save.  I click Save, then Done and my change was saved to Photos.  What a process to AVOID.  I hope this is not Serif fix.

E78A97A6-8924-4018-99C2-96FF1904079D.jpeg

Cecil 

Cecil, you have described the modified save procedure much more clearly than I (i.e. Denty's steps and making sure one has an active Apple screen). 

It works most of the time, especially for simple edits.... but sometimes not. Have you tried this with more complex edits?

Also, even when I was able to save back to Photos,  when I tried to edit the edited photo a second time in Edit in Affinity Photo, AP opened the photo in the original format, without the edits done previously.

Until (if) the Edit in AP extension is fixed properly, the best work arounds  so far are to use the External Editors extension app for Photos that someone suggested earlier on. It is an old app, developed for versions of Mac long since, but it works for jpg. Luckily, the other AP extensions also work within their specific realms. 

1 hour ago, rhmb said:

Cecil, you have described the modified save procedure much more clearly than I (i.e. Denty's steps and making sure one has an active Apple screen). 

It works most of the time, especially for simple edits.... but sometimes not. Have you tried this with more complex edits?

Also, even when I was able to save back to Photos,  when I tried to edit the edited photo a second time in Edit in Affinity Photo, AP opened the photo in the original format, without the edits done previously.

Until (if) the Edit in AP extension is fixed properly, the best work arounds  so far are either to sue the "Edit with AP" option or to use the External Editors extension app for Photos that someone suggested earlier on. It is an old app, developed for versions of Mac long since, but it works for jpg. Luckily, the other AP extensions also work within their specific realms. 

My method is to ensure I am happy with edits, click Export, bottom left Share, and Add to Photos.  This always works and adds additional photo so you have two, the original and edit version.  I cannot believe Serif has not discussed why the fix was not in the update release.  If someone has answer, please provide.

Cecil 

Over and above the challenges with Edit in AP, I have also been unable to save changes in "Edit with". AP does not save back to Apple Photos when using "Edit with ..." No error message, no beach ball, quite simply after finishing the edit and saving .... nothing happens and one is left with the original photo in Apple Photo, no AP edits. I do see that this has previously been noted in the pre- 1.8 bugs. 

On 2/27/2020 at 9:19 AM, rhmb said:

Having similar problems as others have reported in past with the "Edit in Affinity" extension in Apple Photos (Catalina 10.15.3, Affinity 1.8.1). If I flatten before saving, Apple Photos lets me saves the changes as expected. If I do not flatten the photo before saving, Apple Photos will not let me save the changes and shows the message "Unable to edit with 'Edit in Affinity Photos,' An unexpected error occurred." Even though Apple Photo would not let me save the changes for the unflattened edit attempt, the edited photo can be found via the AP recents in the document and using Reveal in finder I can see that the edited photo has been saved in the intermediaries folder in the Group Container folder, in both afpohoto and jpg format. This issue seems unique to Affinity. I had no difficulty whatsoever in attempting to do a similar edit using the ON1 extension in Apple Photos.

I can confirm that this is exactly what happens on my MacBook Air.  Except for the ON1 part; I don’t have that.

On 2/28/2020 at 6:32 AM, Denty said:

Hi Cecil,

Workflow was;

select edit,

photo opened in AP,

did edits,

switch to Apple Photos,

select save changes

Same exactly for me

On 3/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, rhmb said:

Over and above the challenges with Edit in AP, I have also been unable to save changes in "Edit with". AP does not save back to Apple Photos when using "Edit with ..." No error message, no beach ball, quite simply after finishing the edit and saving .... nothing happens and one is left with the original photo in Apple Photo, no AP edits. I do see that this has previously been noted in the pre- 1.8 bugs. 

This is NOT what I’m getting. If I right click on an image in Apple Photos and click on Edit With Affinity Photo, I can make complex changes in Affinity. If I click File->Save without having flattened the document, Affinity prompts my to Save as Flattened. If I do, and then quit Affinity, the edited picture shows up in Apple Photos.  If I try to edit it there, I still have the option to Revert to Original.

in summary, the Edit in extension works if you first flatten the image, then save it, then quit Affinity.

The edit with method works and prompts you to save as flattened before you quit.

the File->Share->Add to photos adds a new image to Apple Photos, just as it always did.

if there’s a disadvantage to having to flatten your image before you save it back to Apple Photos, I don’t see what it is.

3 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

This is NOT what I’m getting. If I right click on an image in Apple Photos and click on Edit With Affinity Photo, I can make complex changes in Affinity. If I click File->Save without having flattened the document, Affinity prompts my to Save as Flattened. If I do, and then quit Affinity, the edited picture shows up in Apple Photos.  If I try to edit it there, I still have the option to Revert to Original.

in summary, the Edit in extension works if you first flatten the image, then save it, then quit Affinity.

The edit with method works and prompts you to save as flattened before you quit.

the File->Share->Add to photos adds a new image to Apple Photos, just as it always did.

if there’s a disadvantage to having to flatten your image before you save it back to Apple Photos, I don’t see what it is.

SteveB523, I tried Edit with again using the File Save commands etcetera as per your post. This did indeed work correctly. The steps I was using (unsuccessfully) were different and I guess that made the difference. Instead of using the File Save command, I clicked the red close button in the AP window when I had finished editing. That prompted me to save at which point I clicked the save button. This in turn prompted me to save as flattened at which point I clicked the save as flattened button. The image then disappeared and when I closed AP using the red button I was left with the original unedited. Obviously using the File Save command is the workable solution but that said, I clicked the buttons that AP prompted me to click and that did not work which is a bit frustrating. But your steps work so all is good. 

4 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

My understanding of flattening is that it condenses all of the layers into one. Which is fine as long as you are satisfied that your edits are final. But it does mean that you cannot re-open the image and change any of the layers, you have to edit the whole image. In truly non-destructive editing, you would be able to go back into the image using the same software (assuming no intermediate steps with other software) and pick up where you left off, making changes to layers from the previous session. 

AP does not seem to let us do this at present. If I have saved changes from either "Edit in" or "Edit with AP" I have two choices if I want to re-do some edits. In "Edit with", I can either start over (revert to original) or work from the baked in edited image that was saved to Apple.

Edit in poses a different problem, as for some reason, it seems to only want to re-open the image in its original form, without edits. At least that's been my experience. The only way I can open the edited image in "Edit in" is to first make a minor edit using Apple Photos, this then bakes in the previous edits. So the same choice - revert to original and start over or work with a baked in copy of the edited image. On the other hand, my success in saving changes with "Edit in AP" seems to vary with the wind direction, so I have essentially given up on this extension and will either use Edit with or use the External Editors for Photos app. 

This may already be on the books for eventual fix, as it in the pre-1.8 bug forum, but in addition to the problematic Edit in AP extension, I am unable to develop RAW photos in Affinity Develop (AP 1.8.1, Catalina). Screen shot of error message attached.

I can develop RAW in Edit in AP, but as with jpgs, when I re-open the image in Edit in, the image reverts to the original unless I do a pre-emptive edit in Apple to bake in the edit. 

For the time being, I have disabled these two extensions in Apple Photos (Edit in AP and Affinity Develop). 

1679520988_ScreenShot2020-03-05at11_10_40AM.png.23d207d7d71bf6f144a05690d5341e42.png

2 hours ago, rhmb said:

This may already be on the books for eventual fix, as it in the pre-1.8 bug forum, but in addition to the problematic Edit in AP extension, I am unable to develop RAW photos in Affinity Develop (AP 1.8.1, Catalina). Screen shot of error message attached.

I can develop RAW in Edit in AP, but as with jpgs, when I re-open the image in Edit in, the image reverts to the original unless I do a pre-emptive edit in Apple to bake in the edit. 

Just out of curiosity, did you check and see whether Affinity stored one or more files on your Mac, as you described in an earlier post?