You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8 Setup Failed - Windows 10 - Photo & Publisher

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, David.

If you're allowed to have attachments you'll see this at the bottom of the composition window while posting: image.png.987107f96836005d30bfbfb019e52615.png

I'm not sure whether brand-new forum users can attach files, but if you couldn't on your first post you might be able to now. Alternatively, examine SetupUI.log with a text editor (Notepad, or whatever) and look for errors.

Hi Walt, thank you for your reply. 

I have had a quick look at the SetupUI.log file but I am not too sure what I am looking for.  The only oddity I see is that it has references to TARGETDIR = F:\  I do have an F: drive but it is only really use for storing videos which I edit.  I have a G: drive where most of my graphics are stored.  I thought this was a little odd. 

I did see an error that the Main.cab file is corrupt. and cannot be used ... odd that it seems to go through the whole process creating the correct directories etc., and then crashing out and deleting the folders at the last gasp!

It looks like registering has allowed me to attach files so I have added it here.

Any help you can give much appreciated.

David F

SetupUI.log

1 hour ago, David Fairweather said:

Any help you can give much appreciated.

The error message in your SetupUI.log file is:
+Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

That probably means that the downloaded installer file is corrupt. Try downloading it again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/2/2020 at 12:24 AM, Dan C said:

Many thanks for your help here Walt, it's appreciated by both me and our customers.

As there have been multiple posts in this thread, I'm looking to confirm that everyone has now updated successfully? - if you're still having issues please reply below and we'll do our best to get you up and running :)

I'm having same problem and have tried everything to installall  photo 1.8.2. Have uninstalled 1.7.3 and scoured the registry to remove 100s of references to affinity. Still cannot install.

9 hours ago, BruceLR said:

I'm having same problem and have tried everything to installall  photo 1.8.2. Have uninstalled 1.7.3 and scoured the registry to remove 100s of references to affinity. Still cannot install.

Rather than scouring the registry manually, you should probably use Microsoft's Uninstall Troubleshooter that's referenced in the FAQ: https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed

But if you've tried everything in the FAQ, and it's still failing, what does your SetupUI.log file say the error is?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

22 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The error message in your SetupUI.log file is:
+Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

That probably means that the downloaded installer file is corrupt. Try downloading it again.

Hi there,  Thank you for your suggestion.  I did download again, installed and all now works fine.  Odd the first one was corrupted, you would have thought there would be a checksum or something.#

1 hour ago, David Fairweather said:

Odd the first one was corrupted, you would have thought there would be a checksum or something.

Glad it worked. And yes, one would think that some kind of checksum or signature processing could detect that kind of thing early in the process.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I had the Testversion running for 3 or 4 Day, then it crashed. I suppose there is a problem beetween Firefox and Affinity Photo as it was running as long as i startet

a tutorial video in youtube.... However, Testversion was 1.8.4 i just was about to buy the full version, but now I can not install any Version at all.

I have tried to install 1.8.5 as well , i used the Microsoft's Uninstall Troubleshooter but can't find the Software on my Laptop. Have scanned through the registry and deletet some

entries from Affinity photos, there were just some. THe error message I get is always the same The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

It occurs almost a the end of the installation prozess.

Anything else I can do ?  I really would like to use Affintiy Photo in future !

SetupUI.log Setup.log

Edited by regloh
files attached

14 minutes ago, regloh said:

Anything else I can do ?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If I'm interpreting the SetupUI.log file correctly, your download of the installer is incompete or corrupt. I would download it again.

Once it is downloaded (should be about 492MB) you can right-click on the file in File Explorer, then choose Properties. In the Properties box, click on Digital Signatures. If Digital Signatures is not available, the download didn't work. If it is available, you should get a list showing two entries. You can click on them and choose Details to verify that the signature is correct, meaning that the file is not corrupted.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi ,

again did a download, checked the Digital Signatures and there are two available. If I check the Details I see nothing special like an error message, everything seems to be normal. I don't know how it should look like as I never have checked any Certificates. But nothing special to see,  ....  Have tried to install but with the same result as before :

The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Have attached the "new" setupfiles again, maybe they are different now ?! Could I have a problem with .NET ? Was not able to check like explained, in practice it is not as easy as described at the  Supportforum.

Setup.log SetupUI.log

13 minutes ago, regloh said:

Have attached the "new" setupfiles again, maybe they are different now ?! Could I have a problem with .NET ?

Thanks. It does look the same, to me. (And I do not think it is a .NET problem.)

I have no more ideas, and will have to defer to Serif staff or someone else to give you further assistance.

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. It does look the same, to me. (And I do not think it is a .NET problem.)

I have no more ideas, and will have to defer to Serif staff or someone else to give you further assistance.

Hi Walt, thank you very much for your support ....

• Staff
19 hours ago, regloh said:

Have scanned through the registry and deletet some

entries from Affinity photos, there were just some.

Hi Regloh,

We never recommend manually deleting registry entries, these are added by Affinity for good reason and are required to use, uninstall and update the app.

As these keys have been deleted, we may need to manually uninstall the app before you can install the latest version.

Before we try this, I'd like to attempt clearing your temporary files to see if this solves the issue. Please use the below instructions provided my Microsoft to clear your temporary files, then restart your machine.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup

Once this is completed, right-click on the previously downloaded .exe file and select Run as Administrator. Please do let me know if this helps :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!