You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8 Setup Failed - Windows 10 - Photo & Publisher

Hi

Tried installing 1.8 and got message Setup Failed. Tried both Photo & Publisher with same result. Tried switching to native Windows Administrator account, same issue.

I've seen other threads and have attached 3xsetupui.log files and screen grabs after trying publisher install

Any help appreciated.

Process I followed

1. Rebooted
  2. Created restore point
  3. Ram Photo install and received Setup Failed message. Product no longer active.
  4. Ran restore and all AOK on previous version again
  5. Rebooted and logged in to Windows Native Administrator account, did same as above and failed again.
  6. Ran restore and tried with Publisher, same result just tried on user account 
  7. Didn't try with Designer as assumed it would be the same issue.

affinity.fail-install.png

affinity.fail-install2.png

SetupUI.log SetupUI.log SetupUI.log

Your log shows that you don't have sufficient privileges to access the folder where you're trying to install the programs.

After a reboot, try right-clicking on the installer and choosing Run As Administrator from the context menu.

It is not always sufficient to run with a user account that has administrator authority, for some reason. But using Run As Administrator seems to work to get around this problem in most cases.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt

Thanks for your msg. Tried installing as Administrator and Publisher installed but both Designer and Photo failed again.

What I also discovered yesterday is that restoring the PC didn't work for Affinity and now Photo & Designer won;'t create new files (CTRL+N displays new file dialog but clicking OK shuts program). Publisher 1.8, works fine.

Upgrades shouldn't be this difficult - should they?? 

Appreciate your comments.

Thx Mark

Latest log files attached

SetupUI - Designer.log SetupUI - Photo.log SetupUI - Publisher.log

1 hour ago, MarkXKR said:

Upgrades shouldn't be this difficult - should they?? 

No, but Windows apparently has some issues. The Affinity applications may be doing something that makes the Windows issues worse, but I think the base problem is in Windows itself.

Both Designer and Photo installations failed because of insufficient authority. I would suggest trying one of them again, after rebooting your PC. And again, right-click on the installer and choose Run As Administrator.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hi Walt and MarkXKR,

I've tried to update to version 1.8 on windows as administrator. The results where a box with "Setup failed"

I found out that I could not enter the program directory "c:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo".  Error: "access denied"

Installing affinity-photo in a new directory, like, "c:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo2" resulted in a working version. (message box: "Setup completed successfully")

How can I remove the old Directory? (Even as administrator it gave me an error "access denied")

Constant

Hi Constant

When you installed to new folder did it retain all your original settings and plugins?

Removing the folder - I've only been able to overcome this in one of two ways:

• Reboot in safe mode - so any hooks to the folder are released then try deleting

or 

• Reboot and login using the Windows native Administrator account then try deleting

Hope that helps.

Mark

Walt/Constant

I've now manged (with the help of Affinity support) to install 1.8 updates on our PCs.

The install fail is happening because of the folder access issue. If we try to access an Affinity program folder - C:\Program Files\Affinity\<appname> - Windows ask for Admin Authorisation. Which if I provide manually then I can access the folder. During the install it seems that Windows is asking for authorisation and the automated install can't get this.

To get round it for Affinity, before running the install, I renamed the existing folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer to  C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer-old. Windows asked for permission which I was able to give.

Then I ran the installer by using the right click and 'Run as Administrator' (as per your advice Walt) and it ran and installed OK. Then I could delete the old folder, again being asked for Authorisation. (unlike your issue Constant I could give authorisation to proceed)

I remember that before we moved to Affinity we had exactly the same problem with Adobe, but there was a setting in Windows 8, that allowed us to override this authorisation, haven't been able to find in Windows 10.

Thanks for your help Walt, finally got there. 

Mark

Good to hear you got it working, Mark.

-- Walt
PC:

This is sad. I'm an old guy who just wants to write and not fight with my computer. Been using Serif products for years but Publisher 1.8 won't install. Managed to reinstall ver 1.7.3 which is what I will have to use unless Affinity can cow up with a simple fix for installing 1.8.

Old Don

58 minutes ago, Old Don said:

This is sad. I'm an old guy who just wants to write and not fight with my computer. Been using Serif products for years but Publisher 1.8 won't install. Managed to reinstall ver 1.7.3 which is what I will have to use unless Affinity can cow up with a simple fix for installing 1.8.

Did you try the usual simple fix?

1. Restart Windows; then
  2. Right-click on the installer .exe file and choose Run As Administrator.

-- Walt
PC:

35 minutes ago, Edna_Mode said:

Hey Walt.Ferrel, I'm having the same issue.  I tried the renaming thing and tried again and no go.  Meantime, my 1.7 version folder is empty.  I'm pretty much dead in the water at the moment.

Did you try restarting Windows, and then right-clicking on the installer .exe file and choosing Run as Administrator?

If those didn't work, you could look in the installation logs to get more details about the problem. Press the Windows key and R to get the Run dialog.

Then paste this into the box:
%Temp%\AffinitySetup

Press OK, and you'll get a FIle Explorer window. Find the directory with the latest time/date, and that's the most recent installation log. You can look in the Setup.log and SetupUI.log files to figure out the error, or post the files here..

-- Walt
PC:

I start Affinity Photo that I bought and receive a message that a new update is available. I click on the download and the download starts no problem. But when I want to run it the wizard starts, then crashes and I have installation failure So I cannot have version 1.8.0. My PC (Windows 10) cannot install it. even by deactivating the anti virus What should I do? How to get the update?
thank you
Anne Boutarin

1.JPG

2.JPG

8 minutes ago, boutarin said:

I start Affinity Photo that I bought and receive a message that a new update is available. I click on the download and the download starts no problem. But when I want to run it the wizard starts, then crashes and I have installation failure So I cannot have version 1.8.0. My PC (Windows 10) cannot install it. even by deactivating the anti virus What should I do? How to get the update?

As mentioned above, your first step should be to restart Windows, then right-click on the installer .exe file and choose Run as Administrator.

If that does not work, you might try the other approaches listed here:

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Many thanks for your help here Walt, it's appreciated by both me and our customers.

As there have been multiple posts in this thread, I'm looking to confirm that everyone has now updated successfully? - if you're still having issues please reply below and we'll do our best to get you up and running :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan C,

I'm still having some issue. I've downloaded the installer multiple times, tried to run it from the desktop and tried to run it "as administrator" as suggested above but with no luck. I still get the "setup failed" message.

Previously, to update the software, I would just download the installer and run it as one would expect.

Could you confirm what is the best way to update to 1.8?

• Staff

Hi Marco.Gr - sorry to hear this!

I'm going to need your installer log file, 

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi Marco.Gr - sorry to hear this!

I'm going to need your installer log file, 

Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste the following string and press OK:

%temp%\AffinitySetup

In the window that opens, please select the most recently created folder, then attach SetupUI.log to your reply here.
Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan C,

Thank you for coming back to me.

I've managed to locate the log file but I have a question to ask. At the bottom of notepad file there seem to be some personal details such as my email address (I log in to Windows 10 with my Microsoft account therefore my username is my email address) and I'm wondering whether other people would be able to see/download the SetupUI.log file other than the Mods. If you could clarify that would be great.

In the mean time I've located the following error message:

+Error: The older version of Affinity Photo cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.

I'm happy to provide further details when the above has been clarified.

Kind regards

M.

• Staff

No problem, thanks for the info Marco. I'll send you a private message through the forums so you can provide the log there, that way it will only be available to me.

From the error you've found, we'll likely need to manually remove the current version, but your log file will provide me with the correct information for this process.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for your file. This shows me that your System is missing an .msi file from the previous version of Affinity, which is causing the update to fail as it cannot remove the previous version successfully.

We'll need to manually remove the current version of Affinity Photo from your PC before installing the latest version. 
Please download the following tool from Microsoft to uninstall the previous version - 
https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed 

Once downloaded please run the tool, select Uninstalling and then Affinity Photo from the list of apps shown. 

If you can't see Affinity Photo in the list, select the aptly named first option and then paste the following code in and select OK. Depending on which version you most recently had installed, the code will be slightly different but I believe you'll require the first one below:

1.7.3 - {6EE06075-1F8E-4737-B744-B2BB8E2BFE28}
1.7.2 - {958C8ACD-8C7A-43ED-92D7-B25B263CAFDA} 

Once the uninstaller has completed, please visit the following link and download a fresh copy of the latest exe, then navigate to the downloaded .exe right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator, this should hopefully install the app for you as expected. 

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/ 

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

9 hours ago, Dan C said:

Many thanks for your file. This shows me that your System is missing an .msi file from the previous version of Affinity, which is causing the update to fail as it cannot remove the previous version successfully.

We'll need to manually remove the current version of Affinity Photo from your PC before installing the latest version. 
Please download the following tool from Microsoft to uninstall the previous version - 
https://support.microsoft.com/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed 

Once downloaded please run the tool, select Uninstalling and then Affinity Photo from the list of apps shown. 

If you can't see Affinity Photo in the list, select the aptly named first option and then paste the following code in and select OK. Depending on which version you most recently had installed, the code will be slightly different but I believe you'll require the first one below:

1.7.3 - {6EE06075-1F8E-4737-B744-B2BB8E2BFE28}
1.7.2 - {958C8ACD-8C7A-43ED-92D7-B25B263CAFDA} 

Once the uninstaller has completed, please visit the following link and download a fresh copy of the latest exe, then navigate to the downloaded .exe right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator, this should hopefully install the app for you as expected. 

https://store.serif.com/update/windows/photo/1/ 

I hope this helps!

Dan,

The solution proposed above worked for both Affinity Photo and Designer and I've now updated to version 1.8.

Thank you for the quick support.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am a real newbie when it comes to Affinity.  I have had Photo in my machine for a while, but as we are locked down right now and they have offered a 50% discount I thought I would buy both Designer and Publisher.  I have been able to install Designer without issue, but Publisher fails every time. The version downloaded from the confirmation of purchase email is 1.8.2.  Install results in install failed every time including 'Run as Administrator'

I have watched the Affinity folder in Programs and a folder for Publisher appears but then is clearly deleted right at the end.

I have found the SetupUI.log file but can't see how to attach it to this posting.

Any help much appreciated.

6 hours ago, David Fairweather said:

I have found the SetupUI.log file but can't see how to attach it to this posting.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, David.

If you're allowed to have attachments you'll see this at the bottom of the composition window while posting: image.png.987107f96836005d30bfbfb019e52615.png

I'm not sure whether brand-new forum users can attach files, but if you couldn't on your first post you might be able to now. Alternatively, examine SetupUI.log with a text editor (Notepad, or whatever) and look for errors.

-- Walt
PC: