You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashed while opening idml-file

I guess the developers would like to get a hand on this IDML. If the file contains sensible data, ask for a private upload link. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

The IDML crashes for me too, then I opened it again in Indesign CS6 and was surprised. The layout is very very basic = 25 A3 pages with a guide in the middle and bleed defined. Was it your intention to have / import such a basic template? Aside from crashing the file, this template seems to me fairly easy to make it from scratch in APu. Attached the "repaired" .afpub file.

fotobuch.afpub

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 2/29/2020 at 2:02 AM, Jon P said:

@TrevorML

Is it possible for you to re-upload it but with all the external resources?

was in the process of uploading the ID package for the file and as it was taking FOREVER 🙂 I decided to try opening the IDML from the package… previously when it kept crashing Publisher I only had access @ home to the IDML… and low and behold it worked absolutely fine, so it appears that if the IDML has external resources and they are not available it will crash, and not when they are available.

cheers and thanks for the speedy looking into this.

• Staff

Yeah we noticed that, the reason we wanted it was because the idml file was reporting a massive size for one of the images and we weren't sure if it was correct (we think it's the file called April Graduation 20185), if you could send us all of the resources it would help us investigate this a bit further, but glad it's fixed for you!

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 3/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, Jon P said:

Yeah we noticed that, the reason we wanted it was because the idml file was reporting a massive size for one of the images and we weren't sure if it was correct (we think it's the file called April Graduation 20185), if you could send us all of the resources it would help us investigate this a bit further, but glad it's fixed for you!

just sent the ID packaged file... it would be the image you refered to as it is a large file... hopefully it helps you folks out.

cheers from a sunny Oz

• 1 month later...

I've just downloaded and installed 1.8.3 and I'm having the same issue. Fairly basic file, with master pages, the layout is a series of tables, without graphics, but non standard installed fonts. Whether I export or save as idml, I get the same issue where Publisher just crashes, not report, no message, it just shuts down. If this is a master page issue, I can remove those easily enough and reinstate them within Publisher - I may just give that a go now and see if makes a difference.  

I was super excited that I could import idml and I want to try out the data merge, but that's not looking likely if I can't open any of my previous indesign documents. My Indesign docs were made with CC 2020.

Thanks @Jon P, I've uploaded the file. I have had luck importing a blank document, so the functionality is working. I'm guessing though that it will be related to the styles. But I'm hoping you will know better. If it's something that I'm doing, please let me know, so I can adjust the ID files to better work with Publisher. Though a crash fix is obviously better. 

• Staff

Thanks @JenJen77

I don't think this is related to the above issue or others we are aware of. I'm struggling to see the cause myself, I've removed styles/objects from the document but it still crashes for me.

I've passed it on to development so we can investigate it further. I'll let you know if there's an easy workaround when we have some more info!

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I am also having the same issue. The file is mostly text with some vector graphics. Whereas i had a more complex idml file that had heaps of missing links but that opened fine.

Also, is there a way of making the resources manager search the same folder for other missing links when you relink one file so if you have 100 links you dont need to relink each individual one?

• Staff

@Affinity_Newbie, I'd advise creating a new thread and attaching the idml file if possible.

Also, is there a way of making the resources manager search the same folder for other missing links when you relink one file so if you have 100 links you dont need to relink each individual one?

If you click "Yes" when you open the file and it asks to locate missing resources it will recursively try find any other images in the folder you select. It won't do this through the resource manager however, only on file open.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Crash importing IDML file) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.  

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon