You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apologies if this has been covered. I've searched but not found it.

What are the benefits of using a tablet in conjunction with AP (so should I be thinking of getting one)?

If I decide to get a tablet, what type should I get? I think there are three options (before we get into size and manufacture): A 'simple' sensor and pen, a touch-sensitive display, or a more intelligent tablet (iPad) which can run native software. It all seems rather confusing but I'm hoping that someone will have direct experience to share.

16" MacBookPro Catalina, Affinity Photo 1.8

If you mean Affinity Photo then the advantages are you will be able to draw selections, use brushes to fade, use brushes to dodge and burn, mark out masking areas more accurately, vary the width and amount of colour a brush puts down ... The advantages are myriad.

I take it you have never used one before so I will warn you that there is a muscle memory learning curve. Plan on about a month of an hour a day training (it is the total hours, not the month) where you use the pen and tablet for everything you currently use a mouse/trackpad for and you will be happy with it. 

I use a Wacom tablet and just look at the screen and ignore my hand moving around, I don't have any experience with the different Display drawing surfaces/tablets so I won't comment.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yes, Affinity Photo. (I was trying to be cool by referring to it as AP)

Thanks for the above - and the warning about training (muscles) - that's much as I had thought. I was looking at Wacom Intuos Pro Medium for use with MacBook Pro (MBP) but then drifted towards iPad Pro where I could see exactly where to put the pen...

6 hours ago, Oly85 said:

then drifted towards iPad Pro where I could see exactly where to put the pen...

You would need to be running Catalina Mac OS 10.15.xx and have a MacBook Pro which would support the Sidecar feature of that OS and have an iPad Pro running the most up-to-date iOS. I have zero experience with using them. (I do have the iPad and pencil but don't use the Affinity iPad apps.) 

The Wacom you mention is a good choice in that I have no problem placing the pen/cursor exactly where I want it due to the excellent 'hover' of the pen over the tablet before placing the pen on the tablet.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

You would need to be running Catalina Mac OS 10.15.xx and have a MacBook Pro which would support the Sidecar feature of that OS and have an iPad Pro running the most up-to-date iOS. I have zero experience with using them. (I do have the iPad and pencil but don't use the Affinity iPad apps.) 

The Wacom you mention is a good choice in that I have no problem placing the pen/cursor exactly where I want it due to the excellent 'hover' of the pen over the tablet before placing the pen on the tablet.

Thanks. I presume that the position of the pen appears on screen, before you start an action. Thus the luxury of a screen to move the pen over is a luxury.

14 minutes ago, Oly85 said:

I presume that the position of the pen appears on screen, before you start an action.

Correct, that is what I meant by the word hover. Obviously if the pen is very high (about one inch (or two cm)) from the surface of the tablet the cursor doesn't move.