You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Align to in Version 1.8

evtonic3

Can you provide a screenshot to clarify which option you're referring to, and what objects you have selected?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, @evtonic3.

It's working like it used to on Windows, so it looks like a Mac-specific issue. Question: is that option selectable if you choose an alignment method for Align Horizontally or Align Vertically? You don't seem to have said how you want to align them in your screenshots, and perhaps you need to specify that before the other options are enabled?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

It is indeed working correctly walt both on Mac and Windows.

But on Windows the Align To option is enabled (with or without selecting other options) and from what @evtonic3 sees it is not enabled. As they are working differently, how are both correct?

-- Walt
PC:

If I select two objects, the app should leave me option to decide how I want to align them by letting me choose from the drop down. There is not one at the moment. It is greyed out. The drop down will engage if I select any option button at top but that defeats the purpose of the options. Hope this makes sense.

1 minute ago, evtonic3 said:

If I select two objects, the app should leave me option to decide how I want to align them by letting me choose from the drop down. There is not one at the moment. It is greyed out. The drop down will engage if I select any option button at top but that defeats the purpose of the options. Hope this makes sense.

Why does it "defeat the purpose" of the options if you have to select the alignment method first?

You can select the method (left, right, center , ...) first, then select the Align To, and it works just fine. The alignment is not finalized until you click OK or click outside the dialog. You can even change the method, and the Align To, multiple times before finalizing.

-- Walt
PC:

Maybe this has to do with this "undo-bug". Just wondering.

Have you already fixed your "zero undo steps"-settings in the performance tab of preferences which was introduced in 1.8.0.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

5 minutes ago, woefi said:

Maybe this has to do with this "undo-bug". Just wondering.

Have you already fixed your "zero undo steps"-settings in the performance tab of preferences which was introduced in 1.8.0.

The Preferences only lets you fix part of the problem. There's a patch to run that fixes more, but I have no idea if it would address this:

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi all,

This is not actually a regression, but the intended behaviour. Selecting an "Align to" option before selecting the method would not make sense, so having it greyed out is expected. The problem is on Windows, where you can select an "Align to" before doing anything else - not sure why one would need this, as it does not do anything anyways. 

20 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

This is not actually a regression, but the intended behaviour. Selecting an "Align to" option before selecting the method would not make sense, so having it greyed out is expected. The problem is on Windows, where you can select an "Align to" before doing anything else - not sure why one would need this, as it does not do anything anyways. 

How would you do a align to last selected? I need to know the proper steps for my work depends on this feature.

36 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi all,

How would you do a align to last selected? I need to know the proper steps for my work depends on this feature.

I see that the new Windows betas of Photo and Designer, 1.8.1.595, have fixed this. It is no longer possible to select Align To without first selecting the kind of alignment to perform.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Why fixing something that was not broken in the first place?

Aligning to key objects make up about 70% of my alignments, and this change of behavior does not improve anything. I would have preferred it if the development efforts would have been used for an actual improvement, e.g. the ability to select a key object with the mouse, rather than having to navigate  through a pop-up menu over and over again. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 5:52 AM, Gabe said:

You start by selecting how you want to align them from the "Align horizontally" or "Align Vertically" ( left, centre, right, distribute) and then the "Align to" options 

Before this change, the tool was remembering the previous selection, so one could do several consecutive alignments to key objects without having to re-select the method of choice. Now, one has to select it again for every alignment. Yet another random decision made workflows much more tedious, it drives me up the walls. 

If only the development efforts would have been used to make the tool easier to use, rather than more tedious. 

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

Issue logged :)

Thanks. In general, I would really love to see the align to key object function to be less cumbersome. Most scientific or technical artwork requires A LOT of alignments to key-objects. It would be nice if one could select the key object by mouse (or keyboard mouse combo), or have dedicated buttons for placement in the toolbar; the buttons behavior (align to first/last) could be set via the application preferences, I assume most people are settling for one or the other for their workflow and have no need to pick it for each alignment...

• 2 weeks later...

@nonresidentalien Research scientist here. Just started using AD tonight (we've been using AI for several years for all of our papers/proposals). Key object alignment is a task done thousands of times as each manuscript is prepared for publication. I was completely thrown off by AD's alignment tool. Have you come up with an efficient solution? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2020 at 8:40 PM, transposable said:

@nonresidentalien Research scientist here. Just started using AD tonight (we've been using AI for several years for all of our papers/proposals). Key object alignment is a task done thousands of times as each manuscript is prepared for publication. I was completely thrown off by AD's alignment tool. Have you come up with an efficient solution? Thanks.

Hi transposable,

I have started to use the 'Show alignment handles' feature in combination with Snapping (activate snapping to bounding box, midpoints, object geometry). Still not really what I would prefer but it facilitates the trivial tasks a lot.

Hope this helps.

Lars