You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compound does not work properly - Designer 1.8

JensW

13 minutes ago, JensW said:

Dear MEB,

as the Boolean operations and compounds are critical to my work, is there a possibility to downgrade to version 1.7 until this is fixed?

I have bought the Affinity products through Apples App store.

Yes you can, uninstall de last version on go again to the 1.7.3 version i did that too
   https://store.serif.com/en-us/update/macos/designer/1/

Nasty - same major bug with expand stroke

It's not great when these are the two main improvements detailed in the 1.8 upgrade :

"Fixing the convert to curves problems at small sizes (improved to a great degree)

Fixing problems with Boolean operations (improved to a great degree)"

now un-usable 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

9 hours ago, JensW said:

is there a possibility to downgrade to version 1.7 until this is fixed?

I have bought the Affinity products through Apples App store.

There is no way to downgrade if you bought Affinity products through the Apple app store:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/108175-expand-stroke-its-worst/&do=findComment&comment=585897

Big lesson learned for me... only buy Affinity products directly through Affinity whenever possible... not being able to downgrade sucks at times like this.

Also, don't upgrade immediately. Wait to see if the update has any killer bugs on the loose. 😣

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

10 minutes ago, Cealcrest said:

There is no way to downgrade if you bought Affinity products through the Apple app store

You can downgrade, if you have a TimeMachine backup that you can use to restore the older application (from what I've read).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Before you downgrade - files saved from v1.8.x versions cannot be opened in 1.7.x!

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

If it helps – I am in the same boat (Apple App store) and downgraded from time machine to restore to 1.7.3 and user Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.

I kept both versions – now that I opened a new document in 1.8.1 and it seems that the geometry functions are working properly except for Divide: see picture – the functions are in order of the buttons (add, subtract etc) 

edit – tried Kusmi's file – no joy – it doesn't worked for that. 

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for the hint of keeping both versions. I restored now with time machine and I can work on the old files with 1.7.3.

@HGDC It only works if one of the rectangles is horizontal or vertically oriented. As soon as you rotate it it will be the same behavior.

Affinity Support: Any new if this will be addressed soon?

55 minutes ago, JensW said:

Thanks for the hint of keeping both versions. I restored now with time machine and I can work on the old files with 1.7.3.

@HGDC It only works if one of the rectangles is horizontal or vertically oriented. As soon as you rotate it it will be the same behavior.

Affinity Support: Any new if this will be addressed soon?

see my above pic – it is in 1.8.1 the trick is to replace the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner in the user library / containers /  from time machine prior to 1.8.1 update. Here are some more done in 1.8.1 

Edit – I see what you mean – if both rotated it doesn't work – but without the 'hack' it wouldn't do below either. We definitely need a fix for this very soon. 

Untitled1.jpg

9 minutes ago, HGDC said:

see my above pic – it is in 1.8.1 the trick is to replace the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner in the user library / containers /  from time machine prior to 1.8.1 update. Here are some more done in 1.8.1 

I just renamed the folder and then ran Designer again, which then made a new folder. I now can do what I want with this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

26 minutes ago, Lecho said:

I have purchased from Serif and have all 1.7 Affinity soft package, (Photo, Designer, Publisher for Mac) maybe it would help others to have have downgraded version for time being.

Mac users who purchased directly from Serif can download prior versions at:

But be aware that the older versions won't be able to open anything saved with 1.8 or 1.8.1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

image.png.efb6baa6e05f92bdaed5776864c2e12f.png

"But this ship can't sink?!"

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.