You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Closes without Error when opening afpub file

Irmunsul

Hello,

I've just updated Affinity Publisher to version 1.8 and wanted to open some of my previously edited documents used for layouting an app's UI.

When I try to open (via file dialog, per drag & drop or double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer) the Publisher application opens up, shows the default empty interface (without an opened document) and closes again.
It does not provide any error messages or crash messages to me when this occurs and it is 100% consistent with one file I have.

Unfortunately I didn't looked up the version I've opened it with last but I assume it was 1.7.3 as I didn't get any update notifications for a longer time. The mentioned file contains several linked designer or publisher documents (if this might be important). If it helps I might provide the affected file and all related documents to you (via PM or mail etc.)

When I try to embed or link the mentioned file into a new empty document it works as expected and I can double click the embedded document and change it or even copy all elements into another new empty document.
I also tried to copy all elements to a new empty document and save it as a new file, which does not change the behaviour when opening the newly saved file as Publisher closes itself without displaying anything but the empty UI.

Best Regards

Tobias

Hi Jon, 

I've just uploaded a zip archive with a file called "VW Robotation Academy.afpub" which is the main culprit.
The archive also contains some svg and other afpub and afdesigner (and an afassets file) Where the afdesigner files are opened normally as are some of the afpub documents in the "Controls" folder except the "Map List.afpub" document which behaves identically to the above mentioned document.

I'm not sure whether the problem might be related to the embedding and linking of other documents thus I've uploaded the whole bunch of files.

Thank you in advance for taking a look at this.

• Staff

Hi @Irmunsul,

The file opens fine for me, I've pm'd you a link to a resaved version of it that might hopefully resolve it for you.

Can you navigate to %appdata%/Affinity/Publisher and zip up and upload the 1.0 folder to the above link for me, it will contain crash reports that might shed some light on what's happening.

I also suspect if you rename the folders containing your linked resource and then re-linking them might help, let me know if it does.

Edit: Your crash reports seem to indicate it is related to some auto correct functionality

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi @Jon P,

thank you for your fast response. I was afraid the file would work flawless on your side and I've checked your provided files and the "VW Robotation Academy.afpub" inside your archive opens fine on my machine now too.
The file "Controls/Map List.afpub" still fails but I assume you did not re-save that file specifically.

Might it be helpful if I uninstall Publisher and re-install it after removing everything from %AppData% or other user profile directories? Or should I stick with my current installation to prevent the state for further investigation of this issue?

Thank you for re-saving my main file again 😃 It helps me continue working on the project for now.

I also have this problem. My files are relatively huge (magazines; too huge to share) and I do manage to repair them somehow, but it is evident that something is not ok with this new version (e.g. both version 1.7 as well as the latest beta 1.8 worked fine with my files). I have the impression that links (e.g. names without space???) and/or/in combi with preflight might cause the problem. I hope it will be solved (maybe I won't have to repair all previous issues:)) 

@adbosch Thank you for your tip with an empty file beforehand. Doing so allowed me to update linked documents in my faulty files and re-save them which then allowed me to open them in publisher without having the empty file. I'm not sure what affected the ability to open them without error after re-save (I cannot tell whether it was only the re-save by itself with the newer version of the software or if the update of linked documents made any difference).

• Staff

@Pablo Feron and @Susanrh can you upload some of the problem files here, thanks

I'm having this problem too trying to open multiple page docs fails as described, but opening a single page doc first then

the larger doc does work. 

It's interesting this is working for a few people - if you save a problem document once it's opened does it then open fine on its own?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I moved a crash causing afpub file to a location where it would't find the links. It opened normally (with dialogue about unfound links which I exited with a 'no' ) and I saved it with a new name.  Copied this new afpub to the original directory and voilà: all cured.

I don't know if this works for all but it's worth a try.

I have the same issue after upgrading to 1.8 on Windows 10.  I have tried opening the two most recent files I worked on in 1.7.3 and Publisher immediately crashes (that is, the file never gets opened at all).  The files are small.  There is a linked photo but it has not been modified recently, so my issue seems different than what someone else posted about.  I have attached one of the files.

David

mod_clefs_cover_v2.afpub

On 2/27/2020 at 5:48 PM, adbosch said:

I moved a crash causing afpub file to a location where it would't find the links. It opened normally (with dialogue about unfound links which I exited with a 'no' ) and I saved it with a new name.  Copied this new afpub to the original directory and voilà: all cured.

I don't know if this works for all but it's worth a try.

I can confirm adbosch' workaround - These forums are tremendous! 

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

I have just upgraded to 1.8.0.584 and my 80 page magazine crashed the Publisher program.

Using the, (open a blank document first) workaround I was able to open the magazine. It showed two warnings i.e. A changed linked item and a missing font.

I corrected both of these and now the magazine opens without crashing and now no need to open a Blank document first.

• 11 months later...

I am running Affinity Publisher 1.9 on Windows 10 and have been creating a 50 page photo book. Since today the file will open for a few seconds whilst it loads the pages and once it gets to loading the final page which is p1 as it starts loading the last pages first the program closes without any warning. I have sent the same file to my Apple Mac running the same version 1.9 and it opens the file fine although it only sees thumbnails of all the images as they are linked to the publisher file rather than embedded and the originals are not on my iMac. The file itself is 800MB in size which is surprising as when I open the file on my Mac the Resource Manager says all the pictures are linked! So why the large size? Anyway what do I do to be able to open the Photo Book on my Windows 10 computer again? I have tried recovering to a previous file dates a few days before which opened fine but even this one suffers the same consequences as the the most up to date one. I have also tried to move the file to a new location on the Windows 10 computer and reopen it and also have a publisher file open before I open my photo book file but none of those options resolve it. 

Should I uninstall the Affinity Publisher program Windows 10 and re-install? 

Would appreciate your advice? Am not sure if I have posted this in the right place for help. If not perhaps you could guide me to where I should post for help?

Regards,

Tim