You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compression Preview & Quantize PNGs

Yes, I've noted the following line in the Feature Roadmap for Affinity Photo:

-Export persona - preview with compression and palette optimisation

But since we don't know exactly what you are working on, I'd like to offer some guidance:

1) Please use Photoshop's "Save for Web" as a feature guide.  I use just about every single feature there when optimizing graphics for the web.  Transparency, Number of Colors, Interlaced, Various Dithers, Multiple Color palettes (Adaptive, Selective, Perceptual), Web Snap, and Lossy (for GIF) are all very serious features.

​2) Please use a Quantizer for PNG optimization:

http://pngnq.sourceforge.net

I use TinyPNG all the time to convert my 24-bit PNGs with Transparency into super tiny PNG-8's!

https://tinypng.com

Build something like that into Affinity Photo and you've truly one-upped Photoshop!

3) Consider hiding or graying-out the "Resample" popup in the File>Export sheet whenever the dimensions are LOCKED.  When UNLOCKED and the user changes the dimensions, only they would you need to resample.  But when the dimensions are locked, no resampling is needed and so that resample popup only serves to confuse the user.

4) If you want to add a compression preview in File>Export it may be best to put that as a checkbox option, unchecked by default to ensure maximum performance.

Thanks.