You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.0 will not delete pages

Following installation today of the new designer release 1.8.0, the software freezes when I try to delete pages - either 1 or more pages. The file is attached. I need to delete the superfluous pages following the TOC, before the content.

Does the version include a footnote solution? I put together fairly long (180-200 pages) documents for educational purposes and footnotes are a real must. 

Given the early stage of the product I find it fantastic and have moved from InDesign although the missing footnotes make it a real challenge.

45_-_FW_-_Außenwirtschaft-_2020-02-26_Ver-3.afpub

• Staff

I assume you mean Publisher instead of Designer since you've attached a Publisher file?

Unfortunately footnotes are not in this version, we are however aware that is quite a requested feature.

I've deleted a page from that file correctly, it does however freeze a bit as it reflows all the text - we have something logged relating to this already.

The earlier page you delete the more text it will have to reflow so this will take some time, if you give it a bit of time does it eventually complete?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I deleted 3 pages (130-131-132) from the above document. It took almost 4 minutes before I could keep up working in Publisher... Undoing the operation (Ctrl-Z) took almost 5 minutes.This can't be normal on quite a decent computer.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I have also experienced an apparent freeze of the program when deleting a master page in a new document opened using a template file. I duplicated the existing master page then deleted it. This caused an apparent freeze.This is a file with no data in it. Using task manager to close the program I find that if I say yes to restoring an unsaved file it is responsive again without the deleted master page. I have repeated this several times. Sometimes there is no problem and other times it freezes. It seems to be a quite erratic error. I have attached the file to see if anyone else experiences the same thing.

AP 1 Family History book A4 faing pages.aftemplate

Thanks for the quick reply to my post. Yes, sorry, of course I did mean publisher. Deleting and inserting pages can take up to 15 minutes! I appreciate that text reflow can take a little time, but it is completely unacceptable and makes normal work impossible. The good new is: it does eventually complete. During the deletion process the CPU is running at 80% thus prohibiting work with other programs in the meantime. This was not the case with the last version.

• Staff

Thanks for the info, we have logged a new report and are aware it's worse than 1.7.3 - It shouldn't take this long, and when we fix this issue it should then take a "bit" of time (which we will then continue to look to improve), but no where near 10-15minutes, apologies for the inconvenience in the mean time!

6 minutes ago, Alan Douglas said:

The freezing takes place when deleting or inserting any single or multiple pages. Deleting the masters only does not cause a freeze.

Well.... Use a document that has a few pages and a master page, or just create an empty document of a few pages. Duplicate the master page and the delete the copy you just created... you should see it. It does not freeze but it makes a trip around the earth and comes back after a few minutes.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

In my post say 'apparent' freeze when deleting a master page because that's how it appears. It may well be paddling away under the water unseen to human eye, but there is no notice saying something like 'reordering data - this could take a while - go and make tea'. I confess I have not waited ten or even five minutes to see if it springs back into life. And the apparent freeze seems to be a bit random using the same publication file. I am leaving redundant master pages in page for now. I was just experimenting with creating a template. I have not tried deleting pages in the body of the publication yet to see if I have the same experience. I'll post if there is anything to add.

• Staff

We are aware of freezes adding pages (most commonly seen in longer documents with flowing text), the program is busy at this point and it will eventually catch up, but it shouldn't take anywhere near as long as it is.

We should have some potential fixes coming in a beta (subject to testing)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Deleting single pages from long documents is very slow) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon