You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand stroke bug (pressure, round end, round corner tool)

Hey! As I always had problems with expanding strokes with rounded ending, the first thing I checked for is this. As you see, it has stroke pressure applied, has a round end, has a corner. If previously the same result produced an accurate line only without the rounded cap completely, now it seems even more buggy.

I don't want to get into drama mode, but I would really like to see that shit finally got together, so I don't need to find some alternative to both Adobe and Affinity. The issue may seem custom and small, but I design logos on the daily basis. I'm tired of buggy lines. Hope, at least, the issue with round shapes not being properly round after Boolean transformations got fixed. Still need to check.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-2.png

Edited by Pears Posters

• Staff

Hi Pears Posters,

Thanks for letting us know - judging by the screenshots your curve uses the Corner Tool? I tried a similar curve without the Corner Tool and it was fine, but using the Corner Tool I was getting the cap of the curve cut off - even after baking the corners.

Would you mind sharing your file please? 

1) Yeah, getting caps chopped off completely still apears and bugs me.

2) After some testing, the initial problem seems to be connected to the fact that baking a corner produces a point at the same place as the line end. If such points were automaticaly merged before expanding, that could solve the problem, maybe?

3) Found an old issue bugging me about pressure strokes having glitches in some cases (described in the file).

image.png.4992833ab6881054ca3cbcc8694f7e96.png

corner_tool_broken_cap_after_expand.afdesign

Edited by Pears Posters
added screenshot

Oh yes, the eternal "Expand Stroke" dilemma of AD!

The "Expand Stroke" function is still not very useful for logo designs. Compared to the previous version, the results are noticeably better but unfortunately not good. But with all due respect, making round ends into square ones should not be possible under any circumstances!

AD_1.8.0_expand_stroke_01.gif

Line.afdesign

• Staff

Hi ChristAlix,
Thanks for the report and file. I've added it to out log/report to be tested against new code revisions. If you happen to stumble across another cases please let us know/post the file. Thank you.

Hi Pears Posters,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for the files/report. I've also added them to our log. Let us know if you stumble upon more cases where the expand stroke command fails.

9 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi benbournane massinissa,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind attaching the original afdesign file from where you took the screenshot above please? Thank you.

It is easy to recreate. Expand stroke from here.

expand-stroke-not-working.afdesign

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...