You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik plugins not working anymore

j3rry

11 minutes ago, Bogdan Pop said:

Tested now with Affinity Store Version 1.9 and latest DxO Nik software on macOS 11.2 Big Sur, and viveza crashes both affinity photo and nik sftware when apply changes is clicked.

AP1.9.0 (AAS version) + latest Google Nik Suite (Google version) = Nothing works unfortunately. 

Meanwhile as a standalone app the whole Google Nik Suite (Google version) works just fine.

My Google Nik Collection was installed to the plug-ins folder of an older version of Photoshop (the last one I bought before they went to a subscription model). I used to have Affinity linked to that Plug-in folder. When Affinity Photo 1.9 started crashing constantly with the Nik Collection, I tried Photoshop and that too crashed using Google Nik Collectio, which it has never done before!! I copied the plug-ins to Affinity Photo's own Plug-in folder and deleted the link to the Photoshop Plug-ins folder and then Affinity Photo 1.9 started working fine with Google Nik Collection. I have not checked to see if Photoshop works again now, or not. 

FWIW  – I've never been able to get the NIK Collection (old Google version) to work properly in AffinityPhoto. (Although the 32 bit version works well in Serif's old PhotoPlus).

Usually I just use the stand alone versions, not quite as convenient as using as a plugin but it works!  🙂

I have thought about buying the DxO version, but I think I'll wait until there is some guarantee that it works, and will continue to work, in APhoto.  😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I see this thread is getting really mixed up with lots of scenarios with no answer yet from support in several days. It seems there is more than one issue. Is there a way for this to be reported or to follow if support has picked up on any of the scenarios?

I'm particularly interested in the situation of latest version of Affinity Photo + latest Nik version + Latest iOS version atm.

Thank you

Edited by RATus

• Staff

Hi @RATus,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Can you give me a few more details please? I need to know:
- what macOS version are you running
- what Affinity Photo version are you running and where was it bought from (Affinity or Mac App Store)
- what Nik Collection version are you runing (the free Google version or one of the DxO releases and if so which one)?

The iOS version doesn't support plugins, not sure what you meant/want to know about it regarding Nik Collection...
Thanks.

@MEB - I've addded all the details in previous messages in this thread, but will write again:

macOS version 11.2 BigSur +  Affinity Photo the Downloaded version from affinity website, Version 1.9. + NIK Software Latest version brought  from DxO (Nik Collection 3)

Seems that Viveza is not working in this combo and crashing both affinity photo and niksoftware when clicking to apply the effect on current image.

image.png

image.png

image.png

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @PaulEC,
Can you also provide the information i requested in my post above? Thanks.

Sorry, MEB, I'm actually on Windows, I was just making a general observation about the NIK Collection. There do seem to be a few problems with it (going on various posts over the years!) but it isn't the end of the world to use it as stand alone. I don't know if there are major differences in how well third party plugins work in Windows or MAC, but I think my problem is probably related to having an oldish PC without a particularly good graphics card! (AFAIK DxO don't seem particularly bothered about guaranteeing that it will work in AP🙁)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

11 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @PaulEC,
Can you also provide the information i requested in my post above? Thanks.

AP1.9.0 (AAS version) + latest Google Nik Suite (Google version) = Nothing works unfortunately. 

Meanwhile as the standalone apps the whole Google Nik Suite (Google version) work just fine.

On 2/8/2021 at 1:37 AM, loukash said:

Photo 1.9 on High Sierra

Just to be sure, I have now freshly reinstalled the original nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg from my archives, reset APh and checked again:

• no more "demo" splash screen
  • no crashes whatsoever

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I also experienced crashes with FilterForge plugin at first, but they were GONE after clicking "Authorize global" button in AP Settings-Plugin panel.
After clicking this button and authorizing disk usage crashes were gone.

I definitely do this earlier and Filter Forge were working perfectly (except AP is not fully compatible with 8bf specifications... but thats another story) in betas and previous release. But with 1.9 release it was needed to do again, at least for FF. Possible this is the case for Nik collection too...

• Staff

Hi @RATus,
I confirm Viveza is not working on macOS Big Sur + Affinity Photo 1.9 (MAS and Affinity Store) + DxO Nik Collection 3.3 - i advise you to contact DxO directly and let them know about this since it's an officially supported plugin. We didn't make changes here compared to v1.8 nonetheless i want to check a few more things on other macOS versions and eventually pass this/log with Affinity devs. 

The free Google Nik Collection can't be installed on macOS Big Sur since the installer is no longer compatible with the newest macOS. It always worked with previous versions but with a few issues.

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

The free Google Nik Collection can't be installed on macOS Big Sur since the installer is no longer compatible with the newest macOS.

I don't have Big Sur to test it, let alone a compatible Mac to run it, but in theory, it could be installed manually by extracting the individual archives from the installer app /Volumes/Nik Collection/Nik Collection.app/Contents/Resources:

• AnalogEfexPro2.tar.gz
  • ColorEfexPro4.tar.gz
  • Dfine2.tar.gz
  • HDREfexPro2.tar.gz
  • SelectiveTool.tar.gz
  • SharpenerPro3.tar.gz
  • SilverEfexPro2.tar.gz
  • Viveza2.tar.gz

Those contain the respective Nik Apps and the corresponding PS/Aperture plugins that can be moved into appropriate folders manually.
One may also want to inspect a bunch of shell scripts in the same directory, and correspondingly copy a few Nik/Google files and folders from /Library/Preferences of a pre-Big Sur installation.

However, not sure if such an installation would run in regular mode and not just in demo mode only…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, loukash said:

not sure if such an installation would run in regular mode and not just in demo mode only…

Alright, tested Nik v1.2.11 on Catalina:

1. installed apps & plugins manually by extracting them from the Installer.app package as outlined above, then creating the same folder structure inside /Applications as on my other partition where they have been installed by the installer
  2. copied ~/Library/Preferences/Google, /Library/Preferences/Google, /Library/Preferences/Nik Collection.plist from my other partition
  3. launching the individual Nik apps works without the demo nag screen
  4. only about 3 Nik plugins worked in APh (v1.8.4 running here), the others simply didn't do anything

So probably there's some post-install script missing that would make the plugins work in APh when installing manually.
But like this it might be possible to run at least the individual old Nik apps on Big Sur.

Anyway, deleted my manual experiment…

Luckily the regular Nik installer still works on Catalina.

Hi I also have the Nik Pluggin issue on my new Mac - ie the plugins do not execute when called from Affinity Photo.

Background.  Up until recently running an old MacBook Pro on Mojave.  Affinity Photo and Nik Collection 3.  All worked fine (albeit a Nik was slow)

Had to make the move to a new M1 Mac mini with Big Sur. (11.2).  Running Affinity Photo (1.9.0) and Nik Collection 3.  Affinity Photo runs fine.  Nik works if opening independently and opening photos from drop down menus within.  Affinity photo it appears cannot invoke Nik Collection even though all appears under filter option as expected.

I raised a ticket with DXO re Nik Collection a few days back and this was the response I got ...

"Thank you for writing and for your question. We are making every effort to resolve the compatibility issues when using Nik Collection 3 with Affinity Photo on a Mac OS 11 Big Sur system. At this time, we have not yet isolated where the incompatibilities exist, so we are not sure if this is an issue with the Nik Collection or with Affinity Photo. Please be assured that we will try to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.
"

So they seem to be aware that there is an issue but need to work with Affinity to resolve.  I hope both parties are talking to resolve

Hopefully a frustration relieving fix soon !?

Hi MEB

Glad to be here and thanks for your help :)

Thanks for your suggestion.  It has worked (or done something good) but now pushed the problem along the line a little.  eg Using Viveza I can do all I need to until clicking on [OK] - then AP crashes .. every time.  

Interestingly Silver Efex works fine and Analogue Efex does nothing ... very strange?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @MEB

Thanks for coming back...understand the busyness :) 

DXO don't fill me with confidence that the issue will be fixed any time soon - as the message on their website has been there for a while combined with their comment to me about being at the mercy of other vendors (which I do understand).  

Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

Best Rgds G