You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik plugins not working anymore

j3rry

29 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi everyone,
Thanks all for the additional info. I've reproduced the missing labels issue here. It only affects the free Google version running in Affinity Photo 1.8 (Mac App Store version only). I've logged it to be looked at.

Hi @pixartia,
We are aware of the issues with the latest Nik Collection 2.5 and Affinity Photo 1.8.2. We are working on them.

Thanks MEB,

like I already mentioned many times above in our discussion, besides the Nik Collection by Google there are also some huge issues concerning the latest Topaz AI collection.

The Topaz AI plugins launch effortlessly from the uncensored AP 1.8.2 version, while they crash right at launch from the MAS version of AP. It's important.

Kind regards, 

9 hours ago, pixartia said:

Glad for you. For me it’s not so OK. 25€ is not a zero. I can’t help myself to stay with my truncated MAS version and to wait for a justice or a licence replacement from Affinity which seems to be a just decision. Finally I cannot spend 25€ each day when something doesn’t work properly. 

I agree that this is not an optimal solution. However, I think we really need to remember that at least a portion of the problem is owned by Apple.

They are slowly trying to close down free access to applications for the Mac to make it more like the iPhone/iPad where you have no choice but to pay the Apple tax for access to any application.
Their argument is "security", but this appears to go beyond realistic security and just makes it more and more difficult for developers.

The real answer is probably for enough vendors to say "enough!" and refuse to sell through the Apple store.

On 3/17/2020 at 12:04 AM, pixartia said:

👍

Got the same issue here.

Fortunately I have a 2nd Partition with Mojave installed, there it works as it should.

Maybe this can be interesting:

I edited today a picture with AP 1.8.2 in Catalina 10.15.4

Processing in NIK (Google Version) let AP closing immediately.

If I'm now use Mojave and AP 1.8.2, i can edit older Files, also created with AP 1.8.2, with the NIK Collection.
If I try to edit the Image, edited under Catalina, AP closed again immediately.

Pretty strange

Edited by michunna
further informations

Mac mini M1, macOS 13, Affinity Photo 1.10.6 & Affinity Photo 2.0

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, MEB said:

Hi everyone,
Thanks all for the additional info. I've reproduced the missing labels issue here. It only affects the free Google version running in Affinity Photo 1.8 (Mac App Store version only). I've logged it to be looked at.

Hi @pixartia,
We are aware of the issues with the latest Nik Collection 2.5 and Affinity Photo 1.8.2. We are working on them.

Hi MEB,

still no luck even (sic!) with Affinity Photo 1.8.3 version. NIK plugins are glitching (no labels) and Topaz AI plugins even worse - they are crashing on launch...

Could you please keep us up to date what's happening and what's the progress?

Thank you.

Hi MEB,

still no luck even with Affinity Photo 1.8.3 version. NIK plugins are glitching (no labels) and Topaz AI plugins even worse - they are crashing on launch...

Could you please keep us up to date what's happening and what's the progress?

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi pixartia,
This latest update (1.8.3) was just to solve a few critical issues found after 1.8 release (a couple other fixes were also included because they were ready) but there wasn't changes regarding the Nik Collection or any other plugins in this build. These issues remain open to be looked at. Regarding Topaz, I will update this thread soon. I've been testing them but I'm still checking a few issues.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone and especially to MEB QA / SUPPORT. I downloaded and installed Affinity Photo yesterday and I am very happy with this fabulous software. Unfortunately I am very frustrated because my software or rather main plugin, Siver Efex Pro 2 does not work in my AP version 1.9.0 I installed the Nik Collection suite correctly but the only module that seems to work is Viveza as long as you convert the documents to 8 bits! For my 2 main modules, namely Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro I just have a red window! It's very annoying because Silver Efex is my daily working tool and I have been using it for over 10 years. My current version of Nik Collection is Google's. I am on iMac Retina 27 and mac OS Mojave. I would be so happy to find a solution otherwise I would have no choice but to keep using Photoshop Elements.

Yvon

Capture-d’écran-2021-02-06-à-20.11.24.jpg

Capture-d’écran-2021-02-06-à-20.11.54.jpg

Edited by Yvon Buchmann

Hello,

I just installed affinity photo and especially brought the latest Nik Software version for this. I've added all permisions and settings in affinity preferences, and Nik software plugins show in the filters menu and they open. But, with VIVEZA only, as soon as i click to apply the effects and return to Affinity Photo Affinity and Nik both close and i get a system message saying "Affinity Photo Quit Unexpectedly". This happens on macOS BigSUR 11.2, on macbook pro. Interestingly, this only happens with VIVEZA. (both for 8bit and 16 bit images). So far i've tested silver effects, and hdrs effects and both work fine. Please help, as this is one of the main tools i'm planning to use together with Affinity Photo. 

image.png.5e69a17eeea81a7fc9d1d493a9d415d4.png

image.png.369628e248c4e22bb53ef3bda305f509.png

image.png.e7b5c61c9d23af6d1861fc6c0741ff1b.pngimage.png.6abe2667f3fa5a95fe66f0440dbea587.png

image.png

Edited by Bogdan Pop

Yvon - I think you're problems start with using the (old) Google version. When Google bought the Nik collection, they did nothing with it so it had fallen behind in IT terms. The Nik collection was then sold to DxO who upgraded and updated it. So, I suspect you may need to head to DxO.com and upgrade on the Nik Collection. However.....

Bogdan - Since the latest update on Big Sur (11.2), I'm also getting problems with Viveza, it doesn't work right on opening (no labels on each parameter setting, for example) but then goes on to promptly crash Affinity Photo anyway.....

Sigh, I guess its going to be another of those software updates that ripples through other programmes until we've updated them all. I don't know, as yet, if tech support at either/both Affinity Photo or DxO are aware but my guess would be that the crashes will flag up problems?

5 hours ago, Peteg said:

Yvon - I think you're problems start with using the (old) Google version. When Google bought the Nik collection, they did nothing with it so it had fallen behind in IT terms. The Nik collection was then sold to DxO who upgraded and updated it. So, I suspect you may need to head to DxO.com and upgrade on the Nik Collection. However.....

Bogdan - Since the latest update on Big Sur (11.2), I'm also getting problems with Viveza, it doesn't work right on opening (no labels on each parameter setting, for example) but then goes on to promptly crash Affinity Photo anyway.....

Sigh, I guess its going to be another of those software updates that ripples through other programmes until we've updated them all. I don't know, as yet, if tech support at either/both Affinity Photo or DxO are aware but my guess would be that the crashes will flag up problems?

Peteg,

the old Google Nik plugins work absolutely fine with Photoshop as plug-ins also in standalone app mode even under 11.3 Beta (20E5172i) of macOS Big Sur. They're not freshest ones, but haden't completely fallen behind. 

Viveza 2 by Google is functioning absolutely nice also. But not with Affinity Photo.

So... it can hardly be considered as a Google Nik's problem, but sooner an Affinity Photo issue after all.

Kind regards, 

Hi pixartia

You may, of course, be absolutely right - certainly right top correct me given you have had a better experience. Mine was only corrected after I upgraded the Nik collection, that was both in Dxo and Affinity Photo. Ah well.......  :)

Some details on how plugins of the Nik Collection work :

Color Efex Pro 4 : Red window like screenshot above
HDR Efex Pro 2 : Crash

Silver Efex Pro 2 : Red Window
Viveza 2 : OK but need to switch to 8 bits document
Sharpener Pro 3 : OK
Dfine 2 : OK
Analog Efex Pro : Crash

Someone is successfully using the Nik Collection plugin suite with the latest version of Affinity Photo  1.9.0. ?

I am using Affinity Photo 1.9.0  on Mac mini M1,  BigSur 11.2, 16GB Memory, 1TB HD

The version of DxO Nik Collection I am using is Nik Collection 3 the 25th Anniversary Edition.  This is the latest version available.

I tested the Nik Collection apps that I normally use and this was the results I got.

Color Efex Pro 4:  No problem experienced

HDR Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

Silver Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

Viveza 2: Affinity Photo crashed when returning from edit (tried both 8 and 16 bit files with same results)

Define 2: No problem experienced

Analog Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

When the crash occurred a crash report was created by the Mac OS.  I copied the contents of that crash report and put it in the document attached.  Now Affinity Photo did not produce a crash notification of any sort.  When I started Affinity Photo after the crash it started up and displayed the file that I was working on. Hope this report will contain some information that can help identify the cause of the problem. 

Viveza Crash.rtf

2 minutes ago, MarvinR said:

I am using Affinity Photo 1.9.0  on Mac mini M1,  BigSur 11.2, 16GB Memory, 1TB HD

The version of DxO Nik Collection I am using is Nik Collection 3 the 25th Anniversary Edition.  This is the latest version available.

I tested the Nik Collection apps that I normally use and this was the results I got.

Color Efex Pro 4:  No problem experienced

HDR Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

Silver Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

Viveza 2: Affinity Photo crashed when returning from edit (tried both 8 and 16 bit files with same results)

Define 2: No problem experienced

Analog Efex Pro 2: No problem experienced

When the crash occurred a crash report was created by the Mac OS.  I copied the contents of that crash report and put it in the document attached.  Now Affinity Photo did not produce a crash notification of any sort.  When I started Affinity Photo after the crash it started up and displayed the file that I was working on. Hope this report will contain some information that can help identify the cause of the problem. 

Viveza Crash.rtf 135.98 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks a lot Marvin.

I hesitate to buy the new version since I read on this forum that there were as many problems with the DXO version as with the Google one

6 hours ago, Yvon Buchmann said:

Someone is successfully using the Nik Collection plugin suite with the latest version of Affinity Photo  1.9.0. ?

Having also the free-as-in-beer Google version from 2015, today I briefly checked in Photo 1.9 on High Sierra, but only Analog Efex Pro 2 and only as a "demo" because the actual Nik installation lives on an El Capitan partition. Haven't checked the other modules but will try. (Hold on while I'm rebooting…)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Hi everyone,

I am using Windows and not MacOS, but what worked for me may work for you, if you are having issues with the Nik Collection. I installed Affinity Photo 1.9 as an update to 1.8.5 and had all sorts of issues, including the Nik Collection (the free version when Google owned it) crashing. I uninstalled Affinity Photo and then installed it again as a clean installation (it was not updating an older version) and now everything seems to be working well.

I hope this works for you. 🙂

Alright, a more or less clean install of Photo 1.9 on High Sierra, a "dirty" Google Nik Collection 2015 partially living on another partition with some of the prefs copied over, i.e. NOT a kosher installation:

Analog Efex Pro 2 OK.

Color Efex Pro 4 crashes now, but worked on first use.

Dfine 2 crashed.

HDR Efex Pro 2 crashed.

Sharpener Pro 3 OK.

Silver Efex Pro 2 crashed.

Viveza 2 OK.

Now let's see what happens if I fully reset Photo.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

Now let's see what happens if I fully reset Photo.

Analog Efex Pro 2 OK on 1st run, then crash
Color Efex Pro 4 crash on 1st run, then OK
Dfine 2 OK
HDR Efex Pro 2 crash on 1st run, then OK
Sharpener Pro 3 OK
Silver Efex Pro 2 OK
Viveza 2 OK

So it's a hit or miss, but strictly "technically" they are able to run inside v1.9

Full Photo reset again, this time without Serif account login:

Analog Efex Pro 2 OK
Color Efex Pro 4 crash on 1st run, then OK
Dfine 2 OK
HDR Efex Pro 2  OK
Sharpener Pro 3 OK
Silver Efex Pro 2 OK
Viveza 2 OK

Repeated one by one at least two times without crashing. Didn't apply any presets though, just opened each plugin, it did "something", clicked Save.

After a few hours of hard work I finally got the Nik Collection suite up and running on Affinity Photo. 
Here are the different steps: I remind you that I am on MAC and the version of my OS X system was Mojave. 
I finally downloaded a trial version from DXO of the Nik Collection suite to check if it works but unfortunately it was a failure! As for the old free version of Google only a few modules worked but the 2 most important for me, Color Efex Pro 4 and Silver Efex Pro 2 did not work and made AP crash. 
I finally decided to install the latest version of OS X, "Big sur" and there, miracle, all the plugins of the DXO Nik Efex suite work! 

Finally, I uninstalled the trial version from DXO and installed my free version from Google and everything works fine too!

I just tried my G**gle Nik filters using the 1.9GM beta and they seem to work fine on Catalina. I am using the Affinity Store version. Had to switch from MAS version and buy the Affinity version awhile back in order to get Eye Candy filter to work. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

1 hour ago, nwhit said:

I am using the Affinity Store version. Had to switch from MAS version

For the record, my APh is from Mac App Store. So Nik should work either way.

6 minutes ago, Bogdan Pop said:

Tested now with Affinity Store Version 1.9 and latest DxO Nik software on macOS 11.2 Big Sur, and viveza crashes both affinity photo and nik sftware when apply changes is clicked.

Correct. Viveza is the only plugin that crashes AP But all the others are working