You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik plugins not working anymore

j3rry

• Staff

Hi mzdial,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Glad to know you have sorted the issue already. Not all users have Photoshop installed or may have a different/older version of Photoshop which has a different path. Usually it's the plugin installers that detect the available/supported hosts, not the other way around.

I'm experiencing the similar issue.  I purchased Affinity Photo via the Mac App store and upgraded this morning to version 1.8.1.  I also just yesterday purchased the NIK collection and attempted to install it in my host application Affinity Photo, but the application is greyed out in the installation process.  Is this because I purchased via the Mac App store as opposed to the Affinity Photo web site directly?  I suspect it is and either NIK or Serif needs to fix this bug.

Bug Report: Opening Nik Software plugin Silver Efex Pro 2 plugin from Affinity Photo 1.8.1. hangs both software apps.

I have no Adobe subscription. No Lightroom or Photoshop is installed. I installed Nik Software 2 with the DxO plugins on my Mac:

1892271719_Screenshot2020-02-29at00_08_43.png.4493eb38ee7eb893ef57f0b427473222.png

342063153_Screenshot2020-02-29at00_01_44.png.b222b4837f5b10f7c0f277a2b18092d5.png

My settings for the plugins are:

538421576_Screenshot2020-02-28at23_52_21.png.7f419ff9c6fee7628a5b477d4f39eb42.png

Trying to edit the image with a Silver Efex Pro plugin:

1504808477_Screenshot2020-02-28at23_52_47.png.7c3dd7dd26c4f464d94cdb586fe89e44.png

Starts Silver Efex Pro 2 but hangs at the stage "Preparing image"

76632829_Screenshot2020-02-28at23_53_19.thumb.png.1549a50956b2cfb8e618e4411b232a50.png

After closing Silver Efex Pro, because it hangs, als hangs Affinity Photo. I have to force a shutdown of Affinity Photo at this stage.

749410252_Screenshot2020-02-28at23_53_36.png.86be6120d045aface5d758ae4367598c.png

Hi MEB,

just for your information concerning Nik Collection. When Nik Collection Viveza 2, Output Sharpeners and Dfine 2 are loading from within AP 1.8.1 (MAS version), some interface fonts are heavily missing,

which is not the case if plugins are starting in standalone mode... Meanwhile Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, HDR Efex Pro 2 and Silver Efex Pro 2 are working without a glitch.

Take a brief look at these screenshots attached to this post please. Thank you.

Kind regards,  

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

5 minutes ago, pixartia said:

Hi MEB,

just for your information concerning Nik Collection. When Nik Collection Viveza 2, Output Sharpeners and Dfine 2 are loading from within AP 1.8.1 (MAS version), some interface fonts are heavily missing,

which is not the case if plugins are starting in standalone mode... Meanwhile Analog Efex Pro 2, Color Efex Pro 4, HDR Efex Pro 2 and Silver Efex Pro 2 are working without a glitch.

Take a brief look at these screenshots attached to this post please. Thank you.

Kind regards,  

Screenshot.jpg

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

P.S. Sharpener Pro 3 Output Sharpening and Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpening plug-ins have the same kind of font error. Thanks!

1 minute ago, pixartia said:

P.S. Sharpener Pro 3 Output Sharpening and Sharpener Pro 3 Raw Presharpening plug-ins have the same kind of font error. Thanks!

I have this exact same problem in Viveza as well as the colour problems that I've always had with the plugin in Affinity. If I had 150$ to burn I would buy the updated collection but I don't so I'll work with what works for now. 

Hi noms 02118,

unfortunately both version, the Google's one also the most recent by DxO have the same font problems. So there's no reason to spend the extra money.

It's almost evident that it is the sandboxing problem and hopefully Serif would be able to rid the AP of this error soon.

5 minutes ago, pixartia said:

Hi noms 02118,

unfortunately both version, the Google's one also the most recent by DxO have the same font problems. So there's no reason to spend the extra money.

It's almost evident that it is the sandboxing problem and hopefully Serif would be able to rid the AP of this error soon.

Hi Pixartia, I am using the old Google version of the plugins, I am not experiencing the font problems or any other issues, it could be OS related, I am using Sierra and all are working as they were in 1.7.3 so possibly not just a sandboxing issue. I hope that it gets sorted soon for all those affected.

For any Windows users who may be experiencing problems accessing Google Nik Efex filters following the recent update.

I installed the update and immediately could not access the Nik filters.

This continued even though I uninstalled and reinstalled through the preferences plugins dialogue.

I experienced the same problem following the previous major update.

That was resolved by what I thought to be a fluke of chance as the Nik filters appeared in AP after I had activated one of the filters through Capture One.

I went through this same process and once again the Nik filters became available in AP.

I have no idea how this might be explained but it has resolved the same problem on two occasions....I may just have got lucky on both those occasions.

If anyone is experiencing problems with the Google Nik filters following the update, it might be worth going through the uninstall/reinstall plugins through preferences and if that does not work then try launching Nik through another software. 

2 hours ago, Murfee said:

Hi Pixartia, I am using the old Google version of the plugins, I am not experiencing the font problems or any other issues, it could be OS related, I am using Sierra and all are working as they were in 1.7.3 so possibly not just a sandboxing issue. I hope that it gets sorted soon for all those affected.

Hi Murfee,

thank you for your comment. Me - Catalina, where sandboxing and security rules are getting much more tough. 
So my version can be quite realistic. 

I was experiencing the same problem of no fonts in Nik plugins as at AP v1.8.0 (apple store, running on Catalina), but today APv 1.8.1 seems to have greyed out all plugins.......

Good to know that AP guys are working on it.

Whoops! As you were, I had inadvertently opened a file in AP that had been edited in DxO. As those two don't talk to each other (I've been trying to get round the non-font problem) it gave me layers in AP and the plugins don't like it. They have to be merged. However, when I then pass the merged layer to Topaz, it won't let me edit them in Adjust AI (etc) as it passes a file to Topaz that it doesn't seem to like.

The only way I can get Topaz to work on it is to forget the plugin process, export the tiff and go from there...... oh dear.......sorry to add to the woes MEB.....

• Staff

Hi pixartia,
I've been checking the DxO Nik Collection 2.5 in both Mojave and Catalina using Affinity Photo 1.8.1 from the Mac App Store (results should be the same for the Affinity Store version): all Nik Collection plugins are working on my end with a few minor issues here and there on a "standard" hardware config (single monitor). No labels/font issues either. Are you running a multiple monitor config/setup or any utility/menu app to manage screen resolutions?

Hi Peteg,
Regarding the plugins appearing greyed out: make sure you are working on a RGB8 or RGB16 document. The Nik Collection plugins don't support RGB32 documents (with the exception of HDR Efex Pro 2) nor any other colour format (CMYK, LAB, Greyscale). Please check if this that's causing your issues.

Hi MEB, and thank you for the welcome!

The files are definitely RGB8/16 - and I'm also getting the no labels problem on Viveza even after reinstalling the Nik collection, and I'm on a 'standard' hardware config on Catalina.

Hi MEB,

thank you for your reply. I appreciate so much your efforts. Unfortunately this label/font issue is very stable at my side and it is reproducing on 2 MacBooks Pro (13"-2013 and 15"-2017) with a "standard" hardware config (single monitor, Catalina + AP v1.8.1). Seems like a access right issue, because in standalone mode everything is just fine... Any suggestions?

I've just tried  the trial version of the DXO plugins, and found the same problem of nothing happening with AP 1.8.0.  So after reading this I updated via the App Store to 1.8.1 and now when I select one Color Efex 4 it crashes AP without even leaving a bug report.  The other 'working plugin' merely sits there doing nothing.  I've not tried any of the unknown plugins.

• Staff

Hi Indio,
That path is only valid if the user has Photoshop installed and if the plugin was installed to the shared Creative Cloud location. Some plugins may install their files to the specific Photoshop version installed on the system (the usual Photoshop Plugin folder).

Hi MEB,

hope you are going well. Just to revive this thread and renew it with some actual information... 

I just played with AP Beta 1.8.2.173 and happily discovered that each and every Google Nik's and Topaz AI's plugins are playing nicely with this latest beta AP version (flawless launch, functioning well, no more labels font problems), that is unfortunately not the case while doing the same things within AP1.8.1 Mac AppStore Version.

Could you please comment about such a phenomenal difference? Thank you and I wish you a nice weekend.  

9 hours ago, pixartia said:

I just played with AP Beta 1.8.2.173 and happily discovered that each and every Google Nik's and Topaz AI's plugins are playing nicely with this latest beta AP version

FWIW - I just downloaded the public beta and tried this and I cannot get any Nik plugins to load on my m/c.

• Staff

Hi Andrew Mumford,
There's a step during the installation where you have to manually create a folder where to install the plugin files - i believe you missed it. Your Photoshop Plugins config in Preferences show you are pointing to the standalone versions of the plugins - not to the plugin files themselves. Follow the instructions on this video. Pay attention to the section that starts at 0:40s where James click the "+" button to add a custom folder to where install the plugin files. This folder must be created manually by you. James has created it on his desktop and called it Plugins but I advise you to create the folder inside the Applications folder on your Mac and call it Photoshop Plugins (or whatever you see fit). Then, when you click the "+" button (as in the 0:40s in the video) point it to that folder you just created and continue following the rest of the instructions in the video. The Nik installer will create a new folder named/labelled DxO inside the folder you created - this is where all plugin files will be placed - and its the folder you have to browse to/add to the Plugin Search Folder section in Affinity Photo Photoshop Plugins Preferences.

Hi pixartia,
The difference between the two is that the Mac App Store version runs in a sandboxed environment (so with more strictly restrictions) than the one we sell through the Affinity Store. We have been looking at those issues and hope to haver a fix for the Mac App Store version in an upcoming (not necessarily the next) update.

14 hours ago, Andrew Mumford said:

FWIW - I just downloaded the public beta and tried this and I cannot get any Nik plugins to load on my m/c.

Hi Andrew Mumford,

in addition to MEB's recommendations above please don't forget to push the Authorise Global button before restarting Affinity to make Color Efex 4 work properly.