You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for macOS - 1.8.1 (was 1.8.0)

Patrick Connor

• Staff

<EDITED> Please note, Affinity Designer 1.8.2 for Mac is now live so this thread is locked </EDITED>

We are pleased to announce a major update for the MacOS release of Affinity Designer, to version 1.8.1

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Designer for MacOS 1.8.1 (over the last release Affinity Designer macOS 1.7.3) are as follows:

New Features & Improvements:

• Template support – save documents as template files to re-use time and time again, share templates across all apps and even access files on multiple devices through cloud storage.
  • New document dialog – it’s now simpler than ever to find, create and manage document presets with customised, saveable presets and thumbnail previews.
  • Unified toolbar – thanks to the integration of window controls and the app’s main toolbar, Mac users (Mojave and above) can now enjoy more usable document space.
  • Boolean operation improvements – add, subtract and combine shapes to create custom designs better than ever before.
  • Updated PANTONE© library – work with a seemingly endless range of colours, including updated PANTONE© Color Bridge and PANTONE© Formula Guide solid palettes (coated and uncoated).
  • Massive expand stroke improvements – get incredibly accurate results with far fewer nodes than before.
  • New Stock panel – quickly access royalty free images through the app’s brand-new Stock panel.
  • Apple keyboard shortcuts for text editing — use Apple default keyboard shortcuts for text editing and entry for an even more streamlined workflow.
  • Many other improvements and fixes.

Fixes 
(some of these are phrased in the negative but nevertheless fixed)

• Clicking close button whilst in full screen does not close window
  • Symbols: crash when performing non-destructive boolean operation with elements within a symbol in certain circumstances
  • Performing a non-destructive boolean operation inside a group with constraints applied crashes Designer
  • Quick double click to rename an object will fail on macOS Sierra
  • Grid moves position when zooming
  • CMYK waterfall covers sliders
  • Hidden layer's pixel content is lost when exporting to PSD
  • Toggle UI does not work after restarting the app
  • Guides Manager: Remove Guide doesn't work
  • Improvement: Add boolean labelled unison in history
  • Assets: Double Click and drag places assets with wrong aspect.
  • Zoom Tool UI (context toolbar) glitches/truncated while being edited
  • Duplicating a Global Colour should suffix the name with 'copy'
  • Cursor Icons are not rotated to match Canvas Rotation
  • User file: PDF import renders TIFF CMYK image in one of the pages entirely red
  • Alignment is incorrectly labelled as Arrange in Export Persona
  • Bullets and Numbering missing quick character selection drop-down
  • PANTONE swatch palette list is ordered incorrectly
  • Sample download bar hard to see using Graphite accents
  • Using CMD+Backspace in the Swatches Panel causes Affinity to crash
  • Text on path hang - file/font specific
  • Add to swatches > As global colour fails with multiple objects
  • Selecting a large number of objects is way too slow
  • Complex imported PDF slows application down
  • Appearance Panel: Check boxes can swap positions when they shouldn't
  • Appearance Panel: Doesn't refresh if a new Stroke or fill is added with the fly-out present
  • Customer Specific PDF fails to export
  • Tool Settings/Presets saved showing in other applications that don't support them
  • Layer thumbnails on the Layers panel don't get updated after changing a a global colour from the swatches panel
  • User file TIFF Alpha does not render correctly
  • Missing tool-tip on Brushes panel
  • Pixel Selection appears incorrectly when started near page edge
  • File > Export: padlock icon state not honoured in certain circumstances
  • Live filters and PDF export: live filters not being processed/rendered when exporting to PDF
  • Windows menu: Enter full screen and Toggle Full screen - duplicate entry
  • Other minor fixes and improvements

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Designer > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Designer for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac App Store purchases and needs a product key).

NOTE: This was originally released as 1.8.0 on the Affinity Store and the Mac App Store. Affinity Designer 1.8.0 on the Mac App Store had a single file missing that caused a number of problems. That build has been replaced with an otherwise identical 1.8.1 build. The Affinity Store version did not have this problem, but has been rebuilt to keep numbering systems in sync with the Mac App Store.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

All Readers

This thread is only for commenting on this announcement.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Designer Bugs on MacOS section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@dopeNL

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, and thank you :) :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

The discussion about the longstanding request for DXF/DWG import has been split into this new thread.

Please keep this thread for comments about features and improvements that are in the update, not ones that are not included

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Is there a way to convert from MAS to Affinity Store?

I would like to get updates directly from Affinity Store...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

• Staff
9 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

Is there a way to convert from MAS to Serif?

Sorry there is not

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sorry there is not

That would be nice to be able to do that.  I guess when the products go to 2.x and are a paid upgrade then switch to the Affinity Store...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

I just updated to 1.8.1 for Publisher, no problem thank you. But Designer 1.6 does not update, nor does it have a "Check for updates ..." menu selection like Publisher. I checked the MAS and it was not purchased there, so I must've gotten it from you. How can I proceed?  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, Clarkman said:

I just updated to 1.8.1 for Publisher, no problem thank you. But Designer 1.6 does not update, nor does it have a "Check for updates ..." menu selection like Publisher. I checked the MAS and it was not purchased there, so I must've gotten it from you. How can I proceed?  Thank you.

Same for me.