You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.8.0

Patrick Connor

Congratulations on the release! However, you still haven't documented the changes to the brush tools where you are now able to switch the functionality of your alt+R click+L click drag command by just pressing alt+R click+L click that I mentioned in this thread some time ago:

I am also a bit surprised it got released before fixing the tablet bugs related to Windows Ink (Can't use any of the new shortcuts you added to the brushes yet.). Speaking of which, the support for Windows Ink was not documented either in the patch notes. It is a pretty significant feature improvement for tablet users, so it should be getting a mention at least.

The improvements to Smart Objects/Embedded Documents are great by the way! I really hope you add the ability to create them directly in the Layers panel using R click like it's done in Photoshop to make it even better in Affinity. : )

Thank you for the great updates on v1.8. Expecially for the xmp support.

You write changes can be written back in xmp files. That´s great but maybe I am doing something wrong. I changed the metadata like star-Ratings, title, … but no updates in xmp files appear.

I found the switch in the Settings "Load Metadata from xmp files" but is there a switch for "Write Metadata in xmp-files"?

Best regards,

Joachim

• Staff

@jemadsen

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)  thanks for your comments. I do not know about that plugin, perhaps ask others in the questions forum

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Do we have to enable Windows Ink for wacom pen pressure to work now, it's not in the change log? It used to work without windows ink now it doesn't. Windows ink introduces a whole lot of problems for me and I don't want to use it.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Sarper said:

Do we have to enable Windows Ink for wacom pen pressure to work now, it's not in the change log

Yes that is a significant change in this version, I will adjust the change logs for all the Windows releases.

If you want to make a post in the questions forum explaining why that's a problem for you we can reply about that there rather than this announcement thread

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

It's great and thanks for informing us about this update.

Vacuum designer, troubleshooting expert of - Vacuums Advisor
                  "Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life ".
=================================================

Posted by @tiffany111

Posted Wednesday at 03:38 AM

About plug-in support:  Is Luminar 4  a supported plug in ??

I use Luminar 4.1 and the plugin is recognized in Affinity 1.8.  I can send photos from Affinity into Luminar, edit, and round-trip back into Affinity.  There is some odd behavior suggesting to me that the support is not complete or 100%.  For example, some of the editing menus in Luminar that display metadata about the photo (most notable, the filename itself) are garbled.  Which suggests that possibly, not all data is being exchanged reliably between the two apps.  But when I make ordinary edits on a photo in Luminar and send it back to Affinity, it appears all the changes are retained.  

I would say that support appears to be promising, but not complete.  As is always the case with plugins, it's not clear whether the lack of compatibility issues lie with Affinity or the company that makes the plugin, and it's ALSO not clear if either company is working on the issue or prioritizing it.   Luminar is clearly prioritizing becoming a standalone application, and they really only promote full compatibility with the Adobe apps.  From one user to another, I'd say use Luminar as an Affinity plugin with caution, and definitely test thoroughly before using with any production quality photos.  

• Staff
9 hours ago, km.au said:

why oh why does Affinity Photo revert to opening .txt files as the default choice for documents?

I have bumped this issue with the developers

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@3-4-SAD I have replied to your other post here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

The 1.8 betas have been my favorite so far. Excited for moving from betas as 1.8 has changes/fixes that are essential. I've not wanted to use production XD. Just so many wonderful (and needed!) changes. Keep up the good work, guys. My desktop is in pieces on my office floor right now while I remodel, but soon (hopefully!) I'll be back in business and can post more often.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

For those trying to use plugins with 1.8, here's my experience to date with plugins that were designed for Photoshop: 

Luminar 4.1:  works with minor glitches that I'm not sure have any impact on the data.  I use even on final quality photos, but with caution, paying attention to the output.  Note that Luminar does not promise that this plugin is Affinity compatible. 

GRFX Studio Pro:  Does not work at all...crashes the plugin and Affinity.  Advertises that it DOES work with Affinity.  AutoFX did not respond to 6 attempts at reaching out through phone calls and their online form for support.  GRFX Studio is actually a great plugin, but it only currently works in Photoshop and Corel Paintshop Pro.  

PictoPainting:  Works

Corel Particleshop:  Works.  This is great, means you can add those fancy Corel 'dynamic' brushes to Affinity.

Annotation 2020-03-05 003104.png

• Staff
16 hours ago, timlt said:

GRFX Studio Pro:  Does not work at all...crashes the plugin and Affinity.  Advertises that it DOES work with Affinity.  AutoFX did not respond to 6 attempts at reaching out through phone calls and their online form for support.  GRFX Studio is actually a great plugin, but it only currently works in Photoshop and Corel Paintshop Pro.  

I've seen where they say their plugin works with us so I'll grab the trial and give it a poke.