You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.8.0

Patrick Connor

• Staff

<EDITED> Please note, Affinity Photo 1.8.2 for Windows is now live so this thread is locked </EDITED>

We are pleased to announce a major update for the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.8.0

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Photo for Windows 1.8.0 (over the last release Affinity Photo for Windows 1.7.3) are as follows:

New Features & Improvements:

• Template support – save documents as template files to re-use time and time again, share templates across all apps and even access files on multiple devices through cloud storage.
  • New document dialog – it’s now simpler than ever to find, create and manage document presets with customised, saveable presets and thumbnail previews.
  • Updated PANTONE© library – work with a seemingly endless range of colours, including updated PANTONE© Color Bridge and PANTONE© Formula Guide solid palettes (coated and uncoated).
  • Lens correction improvements – benefit from manual lens correction override in the Develop Persona, take advantage of the newly added ‘recently used’ and ‘favourites’ lists, and enjoy improved lens correction of RAW files coming from fixed focal length lenses.
  • Big plugin support improvements – experience the power of a range of plugins in the app, including Nik collection by DxO.
  • Better metadata handling – new support for user-editable fields in image metadata, including the IPTC standard for copyright and other information, plus, save and import metadata files (XMP)[enable in preferences], batch whole folders of images and tag with appropriate ownership info, and more.
  • PSD smart object support – any smart objects included in PSD files can now be imported into Affinity Photo as embedded documents [enable in preferences], letting you easily edit layers within any smart object and maintain a non-destructive workflow into Affinity.
  • Canon CR3 RAW support – open and edit your highest quality photographs in Affinity Photo.
  • Many other improvements and fixes.

Fixes
(some of these are phrased in the negative but nevertheless fixed)

• Develop stability improvements.
  • Fixed issues when printing/exporting live filters.
  • Fixed crash loading certain JPEG files.
  • Double click to edit embedded docs from layers panel.
  • CMYK TIFF import improvements.
  • Filter effects now support high intensity colours in 32-bit mode.
  • Text field expression improvements.
  • Added a new lens profile selector to Develop.
  • Reimplemented the HSL filter's HSV option.
  • Improved quality & file size of results when exporting JPEG.
  • Switching to a mask node will now automatically switch to the grey colour slider.
  • Improved lens correction of RAW files coming from lenses with fixed focal length.
  • Improved unsharp mask “threshold” slider.
  • Improved selection refinement performance & quality.
  • Improved the noise reduction filter result when applied to JPEGs.
  • Improved precision of Gaussian algorithm (to reduce banding).
  • Improved reporting of file load errors (could previously report file corruption incorrectly).
  • Improved performance of operations with large selections.
  • Improved memory use with alternate futures and when replacing image layers.
  • Fixed Styles to show styles that would normally be invisible.
  • Fixed crash when loading some corrupt JPEGs (valid image data, but corrupt following data).
  • Fixed PSD export of hidden layers.
  • Fixed “Create Palette” from CMYK images resulting in RGB colours.
  • Fixed Pixel Selection appears incorrectly when started near page edge.
  • Fixed rasterising a fill layer goes wrong after changing document size.
  • Fixed Marquee Selection not constraining to a square if you drag across the right diagonal.
  • Fixed mis-identification of some Tamron lenses mounted to Canon bodies.
  • Fixed crash importing PSD files containing embedded colour profiles with unicode characters in their names.
  • Colour Picker fails to average when click dragging
  • Cannot drag objects into Assets
  • Right click does not function for surface pen
  • Strokes not printing correctly
  • Printed line is not correct thickness
  • Crash: Include colour bars with a certain file
  • Wacom Tablet starts drawing straight line after changing focus.
  • Print dialog isn't removing the red overlay on a scaled image
  • User file: missing elements when importing EPS
  • Tools disabled when starting the app with hidden UI
  • Motion Panoramas from a Samsung Galaxy Phone crash the app
  • Unable to alter Mask's visiblity options in Export Persona
  • Open folder in explorer should be greyed out until you've saved the file
  • Changing DPI using Anchor to Page resizes document
  • Create Palette from CMYK images imports as RGB
  • Allow drag-drop of .afmacros files onto UI for import (and automatic Library panel toggle)
  • Flood Fill Tool: Missing Source attribute (consistency with Mac version)
  • Flood Select Tool: Missing Source attribute (consistency with Mac version)
  • Flood Fill Tool: Missing Blend Mode attribute (consistency with Mac version)
  • Procedural Texture > Scrolling up/down in the value field crashes the app
  • Halftone dialog is cramped
  • Flood Select Tool: Refine button missing from the context toolbar on Windows
  • Choosing a specific page in the print dialog prints all pages
  • Brush Outline missing when using Tablet/Surface
  • Studio panels can be wrong size after reset
  • Pointer device triggers straight lines when using the mouse
  • Focus doesn't go to active document when multiple documents are open
  • Extend the limit on the number on favourite fonts
  • New document panel should select Letter as default in the US.
  • Show Left Studio / Show Right Studio need adding to Studio menu
  • Clicking the 'gear-icon' in Panorama Persona locks the app up
  • Unable to set Arrow Keys as shortcuts
  • Tablet cursor jumps about when using High Precision Input 
  • Software now requires Windows ink for pressure to work
  • Levels Adjustment, histogram is grey
  • Assorted other small fixes and improvements.
  • Localisation improvements.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Photo).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Photo for Windows) can be downloaded from this link. (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

All Readers

This thread only is for commenting on this announcement.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Photo Bugs on Windows section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks @Patrick Connor for all updates but please, for the sake of my old brain, don't send any more emails, received 1.10 minutes ago worded like this :-

" We are pleased to announce Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher are now all updated to version 1.7.3 (for all new and existing customers)"

I found this very confusing when I opened the apps and found them all referring to a 1.8.0 updated.   😕

• Staff

PeanutsA,

57 minutes ago, PeanutsA said:

don't send any more emails, received 1.10 minutes ago worded like this :-

Sorry, but that was a forum email you (and 192 others) are subscribed to this announcement thread. It was a copy paste error on the important 1.8.0 announcement, and I have corrected the wording now. If you do not want to be notified then unsubscribe from that thread. If you do want to continue to receive them, then I will do my best to not make copy/paste errors in future.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Does "Filter Forge" plug-in work now?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Thanks a lot, that's a huge update!. The smart objects import in PSDs is definitely really a step forward.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

"PSD smart object support" - THIS is what I waited for mockups! Love it, unbelievable! I tested on many mockups, and almost best! Just need a little fix (see in bugs section), but perfect for me! Many, many thanks, and I will use often this feature in future! Second favorites is new document dialog with templates, and I love lens correction templates too. Great version, and nice works! Many thanks for all developers and supporters!

Up and running with version 1.8.

The Affinity roller coaster rolls on!

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.