You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher for macOS - 1.8.1 (was 1.8.0)

Patrick Connor

• Staff

<EDITED> Please note, Affinity Publisher 1.8.2 for Mac is now live so this thread is locked </EDITED>

We are pleased to announce a major update for the macOS release of Affinity Publisher, version 1.8.1

Changes in this build

The changes in Affinity Publisher for macOS 1.8.1 (made since the last release Affinity Publisher on macOS 1.7.3) are as follows:

New Features & Improvements:

• Template support – save documents as template files to re-use time and time again, share templates across all apps and even access files on multiple devices through cloud storage.
  • New document dialog – it’s now simpler than ever to find, create and manage document presets with customised, saveable presets and thumbnail previews.
  • Unified toolbar – thanks to the integration of window controls and the app’s main toolbar, Mac users (Mojave and above) can now enjoy more usable document space.
  • Updated PANTONE© library – work with a seemingly endless range of colours, including updated PANTONE© Color Bridge and PANTONE© Formula Guide solid palettes (coated and uncoated).
  • IDML import – import InDesign® IDML files, including all text styles, master pages, guides, pinned objects and more, directly into Affinity Publisher.
  • Live preflight checking – customise the app’s all new Preflight panel to receive live warnings for possible errors in your document, including poor image resolution, bleed hazards, overflowing text, spelling errors, missing images or font resources, and more.
  • XLSX import – import spreadsheet data from Excel, Apple Numbers or LibreOffice in XLSX format as a standalone table or inline with your text frames.
  • Document merge – merge multiple documents together into a single file and take advantage of text style mapping, index merging and master page control, whether you’re combining whole documents or selecting page ranges to import.
  • Smart master pages – effortlessly swap master pages and migrate edited content from any page to a new master page layout in a single click without losing any of your work in the process.
  • Collect resources – organise all image resources into a single folder location and share with others in your network.
  • New Anchors panel – easily manage anchors in your document and create new ones from selected text.
  • Apple keyboard shortcuts for text editing —use Apple default keyboard shortcuts for text editing and entry for an even more streamlined workflow
  • Text column dividing lines – add lines to separate columns in text frame settings.
  • Many other improvements.

Fixes

• List still being compiled 

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (Free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in application menu, Affinity Publisher > About).

If you’ve purchased from the Mac App Store— updates are done automatically next time you run your software after it is available in the Mac App Store. If this does not happen for you, open the Mac App Store app and go to the Updates page and then Store > Reload page or press CMD+R. This should hopefully force the update to show. Apple sometimes phase roll outs around the world which can mean it may take up to 72 hours for your update to be available.

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the software it will check for updates and offer to download and install any available update, or in the application main menu there is an option Check for Updates. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Publisher for macOS) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Mac App Store purchases and needs a product key).

NOTE: This was originally released as 1.8.0 on the Affinity Store and the Mac App Store. Affinity Photo 1.8.0 on the Mac App Store had a permission missing that caused a problem with plugins and Affinity Designer on the Mac App Store had a single file missing causing lots of issues. Those build have been replaced with an otherwise identical 1.8.1 builds. Affinity Publisher did not have these problems, but it has been rebuilt to keep numbering systems in sync with the Mac App Store for StudioLink reasons.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

All Readers

This thread is only for commenting on this announcement. 

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Publisher Bugs on macOS section and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Great update! The new Preflight option has already been very useful. But I am still missing global layers as in InDesign. I have documents with different versions of text and graphics. Without global layers in Publisher I am forced to continue using InDesign for these docs. So please: Global Layers!!!

Just wanted to say the 1.8 update is completely awesome! I'm in the middle of a 16 page document and already the preflight has come in really handy! Only wish the update came just a few days earlier as this job is a migration from a previous indesign job; but not to worry. Really please with this new update. Well done guys.

No a bug so I hope it is OK to ask this here, but is there any way to set the toolbar to use the same custom settings I had in 1.7.3? I have Time Machine backups of everything in ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher (there because I bought APu from the Affinity Store).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I hope it is OK to ask this here, but is.....

not really

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

....and questions about usage go in the Desktop Questions forum.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@Indio

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

11 minutes ago, Indio said:

is there any differences on the mac appstore vs. affinitystore version?

There are no significant differences between the mac builds for the Affinity store and the Mac App store, only the mechanism how you get your updates delivered. They are always simultaneously released.

If you have further questions please use the Desktop Questions forum and not this announcement thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Just updated, the layout had been improved and I personally liked the new style, but there's something I think may be an issue, hen I try to change text colours using the wheel, it doesn't change on real time, I have to release the click button every time to see the new one desired.

There's an update to Publisher 1.8.1 in the Mac App Store but not in the Serif store. Any reason for that?

Cheers, Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Puck said:

There's an update to Publisher 1.8.1 in the Mac App Store but not in the Serif store. Any reason for that?

Cheers, Puck

There is a new paragraph on the bottom of each Mac announcement (above) that explains this. There are no real changes to mention in Publisher, so the thread title has been adjusted to match

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There is a new paragraph on the bottom of each Mac announcement (above) that explains this. There are no real changes to mention in Publisher, so the thread title has been adjusted to match

I see. Thank you very much for the prompt information.

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Thank you for this nice update. 
However, I still can't use Publisher in a professional context because almost all of my clients are asking me for the original files and they all use InDesign.
Maybe it will be possible to export to IDML in a future version?

Edited by YannV

• Staff

@YannV

Welcome to the Serif affinity forums :) 

I can see this would be a popular addition.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I remember seeing a Serif rep mention that we would be back into beta 1.8.1 right after release of 1.8.0. I can't find the thread (in fact I seem to recall it was in the RC announcement thread, which seems to have been removed?) In any case, is the now-released 1.8.1 what was being referred to, because I was under the impression we would do some more testing first. Or rather, was this 1.8.1 a quick fix of those couple of major issues and we can expect to start working on a 1.8.2 soon?

10 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

Or rather, was this 1.8.1 a quick fix of those couple of major issues and we can expect to start working on a 1.8.2 soon?

It looks like I found the answer to my own question in another thread:

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I've already got this sorted, just trying to fix another 'issue' and then I'll make a Beta version so that you can get on again. I'm really sorry about this

• Staff
15 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

.....Or rather, was this 1.8.1 a quick fix of those couple of major issues and we can expect to start working on a 1.8.2 soon?

This. The planned 1.8.1 refereed to in the beta thread will now be called 1.8.2 beta and will come when it has more fixes. 1.8.1 was used up by a day one mac fix

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff

@Lecho

your OT posts are now here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd