You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because there are too many files opn in the system

I have been using Affinity Publisher working on an ongoing document with a lots of images (mostly linked). When I try to save the document I get the following message:

Failed to save document: test
Save failed because there are too many files open in the system

Sometimes when I try to open the resource manager it will just crash the document or I get a lot of messages:

<image path>
The file was not found

Please note if you look in explorer the files are definitely in the path mentioned and there is nothing wrong with the images.

When I try to replace the image I get the following message:

The file could not be opened because there are too many files open in the system

None of the images has been moved and if you actually just split the document in multiple parts the problem seems to go away, which tell me that there are a limit to the amount of linked images a document can have.

I am running Windows 10 and Affinity Publisher 1.8.0.584 (Release Candidate).

1 hour ago, Johann Seidel said:

which tell me that there are a limit to the amount of linked images a document can have.

Out of interest, how many linked images do you have in the document?

And, how big is the Publisher document (in pages and file size on disk)?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now converted all PSD files to TIFs and replaced them throughout the document. This took some time and now everything works great, so it seems the problem is that I have placed too many PSD files throughout the document. A few things I have realized during this process:

• Once a PSD is embedded, it cannot be made linked.
  • Even if a PSD wass linked, you cannot "collect" it.
  • If you move images to a new folder each and every link must be found by hand. In Indesign, it would see that there are other files corresponding to missing files and link them automatically, maybe Affinity Publisher must warn you if it find other missing files in the folder and give the user the choice to update it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.