You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcuts for insert break not working

Dharmic

Published v1.73 running on Mojave 10.14.6

To reproduce:

1. Create master spread, facing pages, one text frame per page (flow linked) with 3 columns.

2. Create two pages.

3. Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Publisher -> Text -> Insert  -> Breaks -> Column Break

4. Set short cut to Shift + Opt + Return

5. Note -> shortcut now appears correctly in the Text/Insert/Breaks/Column Break menu item.

6. Edit text on the first page, begin entering text

7. Press the short cut defined above and enter more text

Expected: cursor to move to 2nd column and new text to appear there. If "Show Special Characters" is enabled, a curve (like a closing round bracket) symbol at the end of the last line in column 1.

Actual: cursor moves to next line on first column. With "Show Special Characters" enabled, a line break symbol is shown where the break was inserted.

Additional:

Similar incorrect behaviour when using the enter key instead of the return key. Shortcut appears correctly, behaviour is wrong. Appears to work ok with keys other than enter/return. But think of the design intent - hitting return adds a break; it makes sense that hitting return with a modifier would be able to create different types of break.

Edited by Dharmic
More info

Hi Gabe

In case it was something else interfering I rebooted in Safe Mode which introduced new issues (black text on a black page on a black background in Publisher).

I tried switching things off manually, etc.

Finally jagged on enter alone (not shift+enter) working as intended. So I'm good now for a convenient column break but the shift+fn+return combo on the macbook pro still isn't playing for me. Nor does shift+enter on an extended keyboard plugged in. I have no idea why.

Thanks for following up.

Not just the F keys. On smaller Apple keyboards (eg laptops and the non-extended keyboards without the numeric keypad), fn + return generates the keycode for the enter key on the numeric keypad, fn + delete gives you the 'forward delete' key from the block over the cursor keys on the extended keypad, and more.

If you type fn + return in the shortcut key field you get the same symbol as you do for the enter key - which is different to the return key on its own.

Affinity devs must be sick to the back teeth of "that's how Adobe does it" but they do use these combinations for different types of breaks so we know it's at least supported by the OS.

Come to think of it - the fact that I can press a key combination eg shift + fn + return and have the shift + enter symbols appear in the selected shortcut field means that Publisher is getting the correct keycodes from the OS. I don't get why it's not understanding them when I attempt to use them in a field - perhaps in a text frame there's some simplification going on?