You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curve problem

AFAIK This works in Photoshop, not in AD!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It works fine here. Make sure your curve is not in "sharp" mode. It works with "smooth" or "smart" modes

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I'm obviously missing something!  Ctrl+drag doesn't seem to be any different to not holding Ctrl as far as I can see, and there's nothing in the hint line about using Ctrl. What is it supposed to be doing in AD. (As far as I remember, in Photoshop the handles move in and out together when you hold Ctrl.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I'm obviously missing something!  Ctrl+drag doesn't seem to be any different to not holding Ctrl as far as I can see, and there's nothing in the hint line about using Ctrl. What is it supposed to be doing in AD. (As far as I remember, in Photoshop the handles move in and out together when you hold Ctrl.)

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry but I can't speak to anything about photoshop, don't have, don't use it, I'm using AD.
but i have see youtube videos showing the AD does this with the Ctrl and drag to make a curve symmetrical.

When using the pen if you click "Ctrl" it becomes the "node tool" until you release Ctrl. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

14 hours ago, AlainP said:

When using the pen if you click "Ctrl" it becomes the "node tool" until you release Ctrl. 

I know it changes the tool, but that doesn't really help the original question:

18 hours ago, scgreentea said:

I can’t select the Ctrl + drag on curve handles to create an even curve.
I am using the latest version of AD.

You need to use the node tool to move the handles, but Ctrl+drag doesn't make the curve "smoother"! If both handles moved together, as they do in PS, that would help to smooth the curve. 😊

13 hours ago, AlainP said:

9 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I know it changes the tool, but that doesn't really help the original question:

You need to use the node tool to move the handles, but Ctrl+drag doesn't make the curve "smoother"! If both handles moved together, as they do in PS, that would help to smooth the curve. 😊

Thanks again for your reply.
Here is a video that shows that it seems to be possible to do this in AD, but i can't do it. i hope this makes the problem more clear.

That's certainly how it works in PS, but I'm ***** if I can see how to make it work in AD! Maybe it's been added in the Beta version?

Maybe, in this instance,  it would be possible to use an oval shape and convert it to curves, rather than trying to draw a smooth curve.

This is certainly the way to do it. (Not sure where the Ctrl+drag came from in the original post!)