You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vinyl Record Experiment

GarryP

Inspired by the vinyl record centre label posted on Sunday I thought I have a go at trying to create a reasonably-decent vinyl LP.
It’s not perfect by any means but it’s probably usable for most general one-off at-a-glance cases.
I haven’t measured anything so the proportions are probably a bit off but it’s just for fun.
(It looks a bit ‘smudgey’ at some viewing angles on my monitor so I don’t know how it will look for you.)

vinyl record.png

At a glance this visually works quite well as you wrote. Allow me to make a suggestion. Perhaps draw circles to which a geometrically shaped vector brush is applied as a drawing or perhaps an overlay to what you've already created. Using what you have drawn above the circles to which the vector brush is applied, may also work, maybe with some tweaking of the filters.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Thanks for the feedback.
Could you explain a bit more about what you mean in your suggestion please?
I’m not an artist or designer or anything like that so I’m a little confused by some of the terminology, such as “geometrically shaped vector brush is applied as a drawing”. I understand the individual words, just not what they specifically mean together in this particular phrase.

I like it.

If one can recognise an object for what it is - without explanation, then the creator has been successful in my view. Ok, it's not perfect, but anyone and everyone will see this for what it is. . .a record.

Good job.

ps: All you need to do now is create a label.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

Thanks for the feedback.
Could you explain a bit more about what you mean in your suggestion please?
I’m not an artist or designer or anything like that so I’m a little confused by some of the terminology, such as “geometrically shaped vector brush is applied as a drawing”. I understand the individual words, just not what they specifically mean together in this particular phrase.

If you draw a circle and apply a brush consisting of dots placed evenly spaced on a vertical line (no irregular organic shape is what I meant to say basically) it would simulate the record's grooves when the streched mode is selected in the brush configuratiin panel. 

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Thanks AffinityJules. It wasn’t my intention to create a label as that wasn’t part of the experiment but maybe I should at some point, just to finish it off.

Thanks for the extra explanation VectorWhiz. I wanted to try and create the groove by using a Textural Procedure but I just don’t understand that functionality enough to do what I want, and the Help isn’t very useful to a non-mathematician like me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, GarryP said:

I know it’s not the correct label but I already had the graphic lying around from an experiment I did years ago.

vinyl record-dark-side.png

Hey Garry, I really like the effect, how did you do it? I'm going to have to fake some record mock-ups and yours looks quite realistic. 

Thanks @dre.
Unfortunately, when I look at the original document there’s not a lot to see.
Various Ellipses, Donuts and Curves with a Lighting Filter on each of two Pixel Layers (for the record surface), and I can’t remember how I created the Pixel layers.
I have a feeling that the record surface was created with some kind of ‘noise’ filter which has been ‘smudged’ with another filter but I couldn’t say which.
I’ve attached an image showing the expanded Layers Panel in case it helps.

image.thumb.png.e744c9226eee37b5ccf0704808201343.png

• 9 months later...