You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

584 New... window :: various confusions

Since v584 is named as Release Candidate I'd appreciate to get some issues fixed in this new "New..." window presets which might be confusing:

1. Margins: The presets include specific margins which don't respect their page size but are usually set to 25 mm (bottom: 30 mm) for any size, regardless of poster, letter or envelope format.
This results in weird spread setups particularly for small page sizes, e.g. for B10 with page height of 44 mm but margins of 55 mm (25 + 30 mm). The spread can't handle this conflict and results visually in weird margin occurrence.

860052115_584Newwindow-marginbug2.jpg.e2da3e7d82bbe803d033ff0d61ba7f05.jpg

2. Facing: Many presets are set to facing pages, regardless of their size (and use), e.g. even posters or business card layouts are treated this way as brochures instead of single page documents. Also the vinyl cover preset isn't ideal without its additional back/spine between its facing pages.

1731129890_584Newwindow-facingunits.jpg.5bea5abc4a1e15b5aa27d36a74e3e213.jpg

3. Orientation: whereas many presets are set to portrait format and show their icon accordingly, the custom My Presets seem to get icons in landscape only, regardless of their page orientation.

4. Icon frames: whereas many presets show one single boarder around its icon, custom My Presets show a double frame. Their inner frame is not related to the custom margins and seem to have no function here.

1773149743_584Newwindow-iconorientation.jpg.5967acbd6189a8b017bd5b54487a1e6a.jpg

5. Embedded vs. Linked: Some presets have their image placement policy set to "Embedded", others have it set to "Linked". Their seems to be no rule for that decisions. E.g. while "Print Ready" presets appear to be set to "linked" for some of their page sizes (A0 – A10) they use "embedded" for other page sizes.

6. "Print" vs. "Print Ready": It appears these two sections differ mainly in their document color space and sometimes in image placement policy (see 5.), whereas "linked" resources aren't actually more ready for print than embedded resources.

Alternatives:

a. To reduce such confusions it might help to limit the amount of properties saved with these presets, as e.g. page size only.
That way also already adjusted margins, page orientation, document unit, color space, or facing checkbox of a selected preset would not become overwritten if a different page size preset becomes selected.

b. An additional check box or interactive "Lock Aspect Ratio" symbol could help to enable a change of the page size of a preset and automatically maintaining its aspect ratio.

c. The preset sections "Print" and "Print Ready" might be named as "RGB" and "CMYK" instead. Also the image placement policy could rather be two radio-buttons than saved with these presets.

d. The visually complex, space-consuming and not very informative page symbols may become much smaller and show the aspect ratio in their dimensions. If the large number of page sizes offered were displayed more as a list view (less than framed icons) in collapsible sections, this could improve the overview and facilitate a presets detection and selection.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I agree with all of these observations.

About #5 - Embedded vs. Linked - the decision about whether to choose embedded or linked seems to be less about the document type and more about the user workflow preference. Person A prefers to use embedded for both books and business cards, while Person B always works with linked files. Then there is Person C who varies based on the client's wishes, or who knows what other whims.

About #5 -  "Print" vs. "Print Ready" - I thought this terminology was confusing. How many people are going to be asking what the difference is? I think the 1.7 terminology of "Print" and "Print (Press Ready)" is clearer. I assume a shorter term is needed due to different kind of UI layout. Therefore, I suggest "Print" and "Press Ready."

I agree with these thoughts/ideas and think it important to clean this new section up a bit before final release of 1.8. Otherwise, I think it will generate a lot of questions, support requests and criticism. Right now the points discussed above are simply asking for complaints/questions once released to the public.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

For some reason, you can select negative values in Margin and Bleed (e.g. -50). Only positive and zero values should be used.
And I would like to have the "Include bleed" option just as it is now "Include margins" and "Retrieve Margin from Printer" and "Create artboard".

margines.png

32 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

you can select negative values in Margin and Bleed (e.g. -50)

I am not able to set negative values in macOS: if I type -50 and tab or enter it gets reset to 0. 
Might it be you work in Windows OS, not mac? (this thread is in the mac forum) – Your screenshot UI details look slightly different than this:

319214417_584Newwindow-UIdetailsmacOS.jpg.2425a9730ec60988cb6dcd9055e59a73.jpg

14 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

"Retrieve Margin from Printer" and "Create artboard"

""Retrieve Margin from Printer" seemed not work correctly (strange values, not related to the installed/selected printer) and therefore, as far I remember, it got removed some betas ago. – "Create artboard" sounds like an option of ADesigner, nothing for APub.

I agree a checkbox "Include bleed" can be useful, especially if its state would not change when switching between page size presets.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes, the problem with Negative Margin and Bleed values is for the windows version.
But I write in this forum because I agree with all 6 points.
I know that "Create artboard" applies to ADesigner, but in APublisher I would like to create Artboard from the very beginning, especially since after creating a new document, after switching to Designer persona, I can create Artboard.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.