You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacBook Pro Touch Bar in Develop Persona

Hi,

Further to my post suggesting the addition of a Cancel button to the MacBook Pro Touch Bar in Develop Persona:

Thanks for implementing this feature so quickly! Unfortunately the new Cancel button in the Touch Bar doesn't work in the same way as the on-screen equivalent.

If I open a RAW file, decide I don't want to proceed and click the on-screen Cancel button, I get the following dialog:

1746450809_Screenshot2020-02-25at08_30_38.png.7ef32c732382ca5f601ba6cc782aae31.png

Clicking Yes closes the RAW file without committing any edits.

But if I click the Touch Bar Cancel button, I am switched immediately into Photo Persona, not committing any edits (not even those applied automatically by the Assistant), leaving me with an unprocessed file open on screen which I actually wanted to close.

If I start in Photo Persona (say editing a .jpg) and switch to Develop Persona, then click either the on-screen or Touch Bar Cancel button, I'm switched back to Photo Persona without committing the Develop edits. This seems to be correct behaviour.

It's the behaviour that occurs when using the Touch Bar button to Cancel an edit in Develop and close the RAW file without proceeding that doesn't work correctly. It's inconsistent with the behaviour of the on-screen button.

Thanks!

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Touch Bar issue appears to. be fixed in 1.8.4.183. I now get the standard "Are you sure you want to cancel..." dialog when I click the Cancel button. Nice one, thanks!

But the issue with clicking the x in the document tab, as mentioned by @Chris B, is not fixed. The image still closes without warning.

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 1 month later...

Back to square one... :S

I now have both an esc and a Cancel button in my Touch Bar. When editing a Panasonic .rw2 file in Develop Persona, pressing esc has no effect. Pressing Cancel dumps me into Photo Persona, removing any changes made during my Develop session, without any warning dialogs.

The issue with clicking the close button in the document tab while editing in Develop Persona is still not fixed. Clicking the red button still closes the image without any warning. 

• 1 month later...

None of these issues is fixed in 1.9.0.196. They are also present in the current retail release (1.8.4).

Just to recap.

I am using a 2018 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

In Develop Persona, while developing a raw image (Panasonic .RW2 in my case)

• Clicking the red Close button in the image window causes the image (modified or not) to close immediately without any sort of warning dialog.
  • Pressing the Cancel button in the Touch Bar switches me immediately into Photo Persona, with any edits to the raw image lost
  • Clicking the Esc button in the Touch Bar has no effect.

The first two of these are particularly annoying and poor UI design. Attempting to close a window without saving should result in an "Are you sure?" warning dialog. Cancelling an editing session using the Touch Bar should work in the same way as cancelling an editing session by clicking in the UI. And why provide an Esc button in the Touch Bar if it doesn't do anything?

Cheers,

H

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.