You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Paste Remembers Layer?

Hi,

There's a function hidden away in Illustrator that I actually use often.  It's "Paste Remembers Layers."  This is a frequent scenario I encounter: usually I work in separate documents in order to create a finished piece.  Lots of layers.  Then I paste what I've done into the one "Master" piece.  I'd like to retain the layers I created.  Is this functionality in the software and I'm missing it?  Or perhaps slated for a future version?  Thanks!

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, ggatlanta said:

I too work this way. Is there an easy way to copy/paste to a new document and retain layers? Retaining layers is vital to me. Can this be done?

It happens automatically. If it's not working for you, we'll need more details on exactly what you're doing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 year later...

For me unfortunately this is not working in affinity publisher: if I select multiple objects (which are on multiple layers), and I paste it on a different page - then it pastes all objects ' on top' and the layers are not retained.. Edit all layers on/off doesn't affect this. Am I missing something and is there a way in publisher to retain object layers when copy pasting?

1 hour ago, Fdfd said:

Am I missing something and is there a way in publisher to retain object layers when copy pasting?

It's not clear, to me, what your overall layer structure is, and what you mean by the "layers" not being retained. All your objets are layers, and if they are pasted they are pasted as layers. Are you meaning Layers (with a capital L), that is, objects marked as (Layer) in the Layers panel?

Some screenshots, including the page content, and the Layers panel would help. But my guess would be that if you want your (Layer) layers to be pasted that you need to make sure you've selected them in the Layers panel.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if it wasn't clear. Ill try to elaborate:

I have 3 Layers : Text,  Images, Background. Within those layers are text and picture-frame objects/'layers' 

If I copy some objects that exist under a  'parent-layer', such as Text, to another page, it just copies the object-layers without the ' parent-layer'. I can copy the objects+parent-layer only if I select the layer in the layers panel and then copy, but that copies all the Layer contents and I only want to copy some elements of that layer.

How could I have a basic layer structure, such as text, objects, background, and keep the objects in those layers when copied from page to page?

Or am I using layers wrongly (the indesign way..)?

See screenshots below:

copying:

image.png.ba41ba20fdc1be179a9f77cab7fd5218.png

pasted:

image.png.6e909f88eae272ee33fb1bf219548674.png

image.png

What you're looking for doesn't exist in the Affinity applications.

You'll need to select the objects from the Text layer to paste into the Text layer on the target page. Same for objects from the Image and Background Layers.

1. Select the objects from one Layer.
  2. Copy.
  3. Select the target Layer on the target page.
  4. Paste.
  5. Repeat as needed for objects from a different Layer.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, Fdfd said:

And @Serif this would be a great feature (/essential..) for on the roadmap.

You should post that in the Feature Requests & Suggestions forum, or find an existing Feature Request to agree with.

-- Walt
PC: