You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Yes, soon,

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi, I'm really enjoying using AF Designer.

I've previously been using PShop Elements to simply draw everything I needed, and have never graduated to the likes of Illustrator (so I'm pretty unknowledgeable about certain tools and functions). I started a new project and spent quite a few hours on it before using the export function.

Subsequently, I'm also keen to see the export to .psd feature available.

In the meantime, is there any sort of work around that I can use to save all my layers and scaleable shapes to be editable in Photoshop? Maybe someway of exporting them to another program and saving as a .psd there?

Many thanks

C.

• Staff

Not really.  We will have a first phase of PSD export working soon.

First phase is going to be fairly limited, but we will be constantly improving it as times goes by.  Since AD and PSD have very different structures, we are going to have to derive a set of rules for the best fit between the two formats. This will mostly be taken from most commonly used layer structures. Basically - you cannot replicate the AD format perfectly in a PSD file - it lacks some of our finer masking capabilities, and so we need to restructure the layer order to produce the best results.

Also, the PSD format goalposts are always shifting, and since the move to CC Adobe will be able to tweak the format even more often.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi,

Is it possible this feature stop working in future after Adobe release an update for photoshop?

I was talking with a support executive with one of the lead softwares in these category. I asked him why his software is not supporting PSD. He replied its core feature and Adobe's monopoly. So if any other software supports this, it will not remain last long.

Your views please.

Thanks,

Nimit

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I bougth Affinity Designer for its ability to export to PSD files, as I use them in Apple's Motion. Unfortunately when I export to PSD and import into Motion, layers are not preserved. I only get a flat image. Am I doing something wrong? If I import an original photoshop file to Motion layers are preserved.

• Staff

PSD export in the release candidate only saves flattened layers and groups.  I am currently working on a detailed PSD export which will export groups, raster and vector masks, stroked vector objects, layer effects, adjustment layers and clips.  This will come soon as a free update via the app store.

The reason we've held back on the additional PSD export features is that we only want to present accurate export to users.  Affinity has a highly versatile document with the ability to clip and mask that cannot be easily exported as a one-to-one PSD. For this reason we are having to make very careful decisions on how to convert certain Affinity layer patterns to PSD to preserve accuracy and editability.

Rest assured that like Affinity's PSD import, we want to make PSD export the best it can be.  It will get improved over time, and with the help of our forum users.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

PSD export in the release candidate only saves flattened layers and groups.  I am currently working on a detailed PSD export which will export groups, raster and vector masks, stroked vector objects, layer effects, adjustment layers and clips.  This will come soon as a free update via the app store.

The reason we've held back on the additional PSD export features is that we only want to present accurate export to users.  Affinity has a highly versatile document with the ability to clip and mask that cannot be easily exported as a one-to-one PSD. For this reason we are having to make very careful decisions on how to convert certain Affinity layer patterns to PSD to preserve accuracy and editability.

Rest assured that like Affinity's PSD import, we want to make PSD export the best it can be.  It will get improved over time, and with the help of our forum users.

OK, this is a very good app. With PSD export preserving layers this app will be truly amazing. Unfortunately until then this is useless to me. You are doing a great job, keep going!

• Staff

Yes, of course - in the Public Release/Gold Master I mean.   ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi!

I bougth Affinity Designer for its ability to export to PSD files, as I use them in Apple's Motion. Unfortunately when I export to PSD and import into Motion, layers are not preserved. I only get a flat image. Am I doing something wrong? If I import an original photoshop file to Motion layers are preserved.

It would be cool if Motion could import layered Affinity files.Maybe Serrif could help Apple with implementing this.

• 3 weeks later...

If you rasterize each layer sepearate psd export preseves layers. I have another problem though, its that I can't save previously opened PSD document if I make any changes. I think Designer sould warn you about pending layer rasterize if any elements are curves and go on with save on confirm.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Is there any update on the detailed PSD export which will export groups, raster and vector masks, stroked vector objects, layer effects, adjustment layers and clips?

I ask as I have been trying to export the same file via several methods today and the PSD export is not preserving the groups and layers.

Also to note there is some differences in the exported groups and layers between the following types, not sure if this is a known issue or expected?

SVG = Same as .afdesign (named layers and groups, same structure )

EPS = missing named layers and groups, different structure (Not sure which version this is?)

PDF = missing named layers and groups, different structure

Follow Me on Twitter: @brettjp156

Visit my Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/jbrett

MEB

Thanks for the update.

I was not sure if the PSD Layered export was something that was already meant to be in place or not from reading the thread above. 

Great news to hear that the issues with the exporting the layers/groups across formats, etc. is being worked on.

I will keep an eye out in the upcoming beta releases!

To all the team at Affinity, keep up the fantastic job. AD just keeps getting better!

Follow Me on Twitter: @brettjp156

Visit my Behance Portfolio: https://www.behance.net/jbrett

• Staff

For EPS and PDF will currently use OSX to create the files and the API doesn't allow us to name layers and groups. 

We are developing our own PDF output method so we should then be able to set the layer names and groups.

• Staff

PSD export is going to be improved very soon.  I going to try get to a point where we can preserve as much layer and mask information in the export as possible.  When I'm happy it's working well, it will be in the following Beta.

I will say again though - Affinity and PSD do not have a one-to-one document format, and so any Affinity exported to PSD is going to be a best case match.  One area particularly to note is that PSD can only do one level of clipping, so any Affinity document with deeper clipping hierarchies will be need to be rasterised or combined.  We will also need to combine multiple vector masks and multiple raster masks into single masks for PSD.

For the most part, however, we should be able to import PSD files without any changing of the document structure.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB