You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[168] Bounding box wrong when placing APhoto doc

Have had this issue in the last few betas and still there. Using APhoto beta 168, have a graphic that is only roughly 7x3" and is a cmyk doc. When I place it in APub b584, the bounding box is essentially an A4 size, thereby requiring either a lot of overhang of the empty bounding box or using a frame or other method to crop. Cannot understand why it comes in with the strange bounding box. I also have an RGB version of this same APhoto graphic created at the same time and it places just fine. Don't know if the error is in APub or APhoto, other than it opens and looks fine in APhoto. I did just try Placing it in a 1.7.3 ADes new doc and it also places with an A4 bounding box, so maybe this is a problem with APhoto???

Screen_Shot_2020-02-24_at_12_30.55_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-02-24_at_12_31.28_PM.png

Gurney_Logo_Footer_-_Literature-1cmykv18.afphoto

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hey nwhit,

Have you imported this from a PDF source and cropped it? 

On the context toolbar, you can click the Page Box dropdown and select the Minimum Content to get this to appear correctly but I think there's still a bug here that needs logging.

No, this was "assembled" in Photo. When it was created as an RGB, it places in APub just fine. It's only the cmyk version of the APhoto file that when placed in APub that it has the large bounding box. However, the the Mac quicklook preview of the file is correct. I even tried opening the 1.7.3 file in the 1.8 RC beta and saved as cmyk, but it still places with the large box.

I did find the contextual toolbar Page Box dropdown, so can make adjustment for this particular case, but it does seem odd.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (.afphoto file placing with large bounding box) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (.afphoto file placing with large bounding box) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Sorry, just tried it and it isn't fixed. I opened the APhoto file in the newest beta/rc, then did a save as. Tried to place in the latest APub beta just now and get the same issue. The bounding box is still a full A4 size. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

Hey nwhit,

Here's what you need to do:

1. Open the original .afphoto file
  2. Crop Tool
  3. Click on the Apply button (no need to resize)
  4. File > Save
  5. Now try placing the newly saved .afphoto file and it should be correctly cropped

It wasn't possible to fix existing documents, we could only address what wasn't being done correctly after the crop.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Did that in 1.8.2.174 and it worked. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.